Shall we all stop slowing for moored boats?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

On 03/09/2020 at 09:50, Ex Brummie said:

I see 2 or 3 boats based in a local marina pass through our moorings pretty well every week and always with different people on them. No one has a family that big.

Share boats? Our boat is owned by 12 different families.  

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I've tapped a mooring pin down the gap to free a stuck piling hook. I prefer to use chains unless it involves kneeling on wet grass then I'll use hooks.

You can always tell a newly-moored boater by the wet patch on his/her left knee.

If the chain jams, I find a yank in the opposite direction will normally free it. In extremis, re-attach it to the boat and get the boat moving slowing in the correct direction. As the chain comes up tight there's more than enough momentum to pull the chain out.

MP.

ETA. I also keep a coil of cheap blue nylon 8mm dia rope on board, to make mooring loops on the piling which consists of concrete slabs topped with old railway line. You can't get a chain or a hook into that but you can usually feed 8mm rope round the rail at a joint or where the concrete is wavy. I normally leave the loops behind for the use of boaters who come after me.

Edited by MoominPapa
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

ETA. I also keep a coil of cheap blue nylon 8mm dia rope on board, to make mooring loops on the piling which consists of concrete slabs topped with old railway line. You can't get a chain or a hook into that but you can usually feed 8mm rope round the rail at a joint or where the concrete is wavy. I normally leave the loops behind for the use of boaters who come after me.

Edited 5 minutes ago by MoominPapa

Thank you.  Used some of those left by generous souls like yourself only 3 days ago.

7 hours ago, Iain_S said:

bow_small.jpg.7360c120343b793079a425d9d665cfb7.jpg

Kelpie's front studs. They could perhaps be better a couple of inches back, but still very useful.

I do like the Reeves hull, look very smart indeed.     Great place for extra T-studs on the shoulder there.     Would consider changing the aft dollies For a pair of T-studs as well as would give more options when mooring up.      

8 hours ago, Dharl said:

Would consider changing the aft dollies For a pair of T-studs as well as would give more options when mooring up.      

On my Reeves (I assume all Reeves) the starboard rear dolly is also the fuel tank vent with the 'anti-flash gauze' in it.

Obviously not impossible to relocate the vent and replace the dolly with a cleat or "T"

Question about dollies - New to Boating? - Canal World

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Dharl said:

I do like the Reeves hull, look very smart indeed.     Great place for extra T-studs on the shoulder there.     Would consider changing the aft dollies For a pair of T-studs as well as would give more options when mooring up.      

Kelpie has two extra mooring cleats at the stern too.  Very useful.  

haggis

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

You can always tell a newly-moored boater by the wet patch on his/her left knee.

this year we have mostly been doing the “ant dance”, three times in one week we managed to drop chains where ants nests were, the better half even kicked one of her shoes into the cut trying to get the ants off her feet :D

it does make a change from the wasps nests of previous years though ;)

45 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

this year we have mostly been doing the “ant dance”, three times in one week we managed to drop chains where ants nests were, the better half even kicked one of her shoes into the cut trying to get the ants off her feet :D

it does make a change from the wasps nests of previous years though ;)

I once hammered a mooring pin through a wasps' nest, was very glad to be wearing leather hat, which took most of the resulting stings.

MP.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

I once hammered a mooring pin through a wasps' nest, was very glad to be wearing leather hat, which took most of the resulting stings.

MP.

Had that happened to me I think I'd have dashed straight out and bought a leather codpiece...!   :o

On 04/09/2020 at 23:55, Dharl said:

Kelpie has both. Very useful. Stern rope starts on the dolly, loop to shore and around "T" stud, then free end secured on "T". (or variations therof!) Stern rope is on hatch when moving, and it's easier to drop it over dolly than it would be on the "T" stud. Best of both worlds! :)

• Greenie 1

On 03/09/2020 at 10:04, bizzard said:

Funnily enough I find that youngsters driving boats are more careful and courtious about speeding than most old codgers who think they know it all and bomb along, you can always tell em, captains or Breton hat on, Mrs dithering in the front well clutching a ropes end and windless waiting for the command to leap ashore.  This behavior I reckon stems from the days when most women didn't drive and the old man drove the family car and has now found boating a way of reserecting this overwhelming might once more.

It's only anecdotal, but I've experienced the same, and only ever got "advice" from older people. E.g., today, a hire boater came out (just the bow) from  the bank unexpectedly whilst we were cruising and then just stayed on the right (their left). Because I'm not a mind reader I gave two horn blasts, knowing that they probably wouldn't understand but who knows it's better than nothing, and moved over to the left rather than leave it to the last second. Went by fine. Guy starts telling me that I must always be on the right, I start to explain "I gave two horn blasts so that..." but he is angry and interrupts, so I just ignore and move on.

The absolute nicest boaters so far have been live-aboards, for some reason the ones in permanent moorings are the most memorably nice. There are also nice hire boaters, and nice people holidaying on their own boat. But the latter two groups, sometimes have men of a certain age and outlook that seem intent on ruining other people's day by starting arguments etc. Just chill out.

Now that's off my chest... the only thing that gets me down about boating is other people being aggressive or obnoxious. Why not just discuss things calmly and each person might learn something?

Edited by Thomas C King

29 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

The absolute nicest boaters so far have been live-aboards, for some reason the ones in permanent moorings are the most memorably nice.

This might have something to do with the fact that if they abuse passers by, the abused party knows where they live... ;)

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Have you considered that they may be left behind purposely by disgruntled boaters who cast off and stealthily slip away leaving them for either a person with magpie tendencies or someone who knows no better than to moor with the bloomin' awful things? ;)

We use them to hold our wheel to the Armco that keeps the stern out when moored in insufficient depth . Other than that they are a liability, only used for a quick stop. What amazes me is the people who leave them permanently attached to their only lines tangled on the deck or bow.

49 minutes ago, Dharl said:

As long as you remember to dip your lines ? 

I always do.

This trip we have just moored up for lunch and not taken the trouble we would for an overnight stop, the way you bang about when someone glides by if you don't moor tightly is quite surprising

New to Canalworld, I've found three useful things today:

1. How to moor a boat more effectively

2. The potential perceptions allied to not having a home port on your boat

3. Voltaire was a big fan of Scottish Enlightenment.

We're never too old to learn.

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always do.

This trip we have just moored up for lunch and not taken the trouble we would for an overnight stop, the way you bang about when someone glides by if you don't moor tightly is quite surprising

I've started reattaching my fenders for a lunch time stop and putting a bit more effort in to ensuring I'm moored a bit better as i noticed we crashed about a lot. Alternatively we keep boating and have lunch on the move.

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

One thing I have discovered in last few years that if stopping during the day you need to pay more attention to mooring than overnight as you will have more boats passing you during daylight.    When stopping for lunch used to just rig a head and stern line but then used to get more movement as boats pass, now take the extra minute to rig at least a forward spring and always have a happy none moving lunch! 

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Once stopped and lunched I just go to sleep. And that's it for the day...

Sounds like you eat too much for lunch which will make you drowsey. I get fish and chips once a week. I buy the senior citizens deal, cod and chips for £4-20p which is quite ample for less drowsiness and allows me to work on after gorging on it.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Loddon said:

What is this stopping for lunch you speak of?

Before we got the dog we did long days and only stopped for lock landings, but now with a furry crew member we tend to stop a bit more often.....though often aim for an early start and moor up about 1500 so we can get a good spot and also can open the bar!