Shall we all stop slowing for moored boats?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

In the last couple of days around two thirds of hire boats have passed me way too fast.  And I don't mean slightly, I mean absolutely hammering past.  Maybe it's a problem with the local hire companies.

I'm currently on the Shroppie. I find it's one of the better canals for using pins because the ground seems to be really firm in most places. 

I find private owners worse than hirers so maybe the local hire bases are better at hand overs round here? One thing for sure is covid has been a blessing as no stag or even worse hen parties this year. 

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Having had to take a baby to hospital who got scalded by a kettle coming off of the hob because of a speeding boater going pass a moored boat. I always slow down. But no doubt most of the numpties who speed past boats would probably blame the hob design.

If there's going to be more of the non-slowing down brigade, and people not prepared to moor up correctly then there may be an increasing need to fit a 'fiddle rail' or even 'pan-clamps'

Fiddle Rail

image.jpeg.dcade77820fd4198404db856284b9d8b.jpeg

Adjustable Pan Clamps (we have these on the Cat)

Boat Cookers, Hobs, Ovens, Grills & More | Norfolk Marine

The Cruiser being GRP and even 'wobbled by canoes' we just have a simple 'rail' all around the hob :

20200903-160243-1.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Exactly like us. It does surprise me though when passing long lines of permanent moorings how many boats are moored with very slack lines and consequently surge and bang into each other no matter how slowly you pass. 

Its when you see the water drip off them as they tighten you know how slack they were (unless its Manchester, then its rain)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Ground anchors or Norfolk Broads Rond anchors are the biz, ''Although canal boater would probably call them Wrong anchors'', won't pull out, they'd rather yank half the bank away than pull out.

I have seen one boat who used a pin in conjunction with a metal bar. so all the pull was at right angled, like a rond anchor, a rope on the top of a pin, pulls the pin over first and then out.

Mooring pin.jpg

We slow down to tickover for moored boats and allow a decent time for the boat to slow before we get alongside the moored boat. Some people seem to take exception to passing boats regardless of the speed.

I am getting very fed up with those that stare out of the window watching our boat approach and then complain as we go past, even though we are on tickover and their boat is scarcely moving. The next time this happens I may reverse at full power to a stop and then politely ask what the problem is. If the moored boat rocks excessively I may then ask if they are moored correctly.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, I do that too when passing a boat trying to moor.

Not many do though.

i do that too, try to give them as wide a berth as i can as well.

have been the poor sod holding on to the ropes as someone barrels past, so do unto others etc.

• Greenie 2

I got shouted at when passing a boat coming from the opposite direction. This on the T&M around Colwich. He was the one breaking wash, and if I can make 2 1/2 mph on that shallow canal, then I'm doing well.

when I once pointed out to a boater moored with piling hooks at 90o, he explained that if he had an angle, the hook got caught in the wailing.

I see that the tight centre line syndrome has hardly featured in the thread.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

The usual giveaway for a shareboat is the lack of a signwritten  "home port".

No home port or family name on our boat - just the boat's name and number. I suppose it is a shareboat -- two of us, the Memsahib and me!

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

>>the C&RT website on the section "how to properly moor your boat"<<

It's a shame they can't write decent English, though. I may be old-fashioned, but to my ears, "how to moor your boat properly" sounds far better! 

No mention has made of the exception to the slow down for moored boats rule, ie that you don't need to do so if you have sounded your horn giving you the right to enter a blind bridge hole at full speed.  I am not sure if this is only available to hire boaters but it might be as I have only seen (this week) hire boat users employing this.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

have been the poor sod holding on to the ropes as someone barrels past, so do unto others etc.

I had a very nasty habit of letting one rope go (normally the bow) when people come past to fast, its amazing how much it concentrates their minds with 20ton of steel coming out to greet them.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, dmr said:

Ive seen something a bit like that at the back of some old boats (and modern replica tugs)    ?

The trip hazard could be eliminated by setting rings into the hull side, a bit like the low down fender eyes that are popular, in fact it would make more sense to use those eyes for mooring than for fenders ?.

..................Dave

I often use our fender eyes that are set in the gunnels for setting a spring.

11 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I had a very nasty habit of letting one rope go (normally the bow) when people come past to fast, its amazing how much it concentrates their minds with 20ton of steel coming out to greet them.

That does have a slight whiff of premeditation about it...

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I often use our fender eyes that are set in the gunnels for setting a spring.

The boat moored next to me earlier today had a cunning trick:

Large shackle fastened through the fender eye, and centreline fed through it as a low level spring.

I liked the idea, but not enough to fit fender eyes in my gunwales!

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I think you missed the joke Alan

I think you missed Alan's "joke" Mike!

(Using Springer boats as mooring pins because there is about the same amount of steel in them.)

• Haha 1