Shall we all stop slowing for moored boats?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

On 10/09/2020 at 13:00, Rob-M said:

We went over a wheelie bin on the main line, didn't half make the boat tip. As I looked down to see what we had gone over the lid popped up. I guess it was upright, sat on the bottom and filled with water.  It was closely followed by a wheelbarrow which was submerged but the air in the tyre was keeping it just on the surface so I spotted that and avoided it.

Fridge just before the Ashted flight here, popped the rudder of Baldock right out. Had to get a block and tackle from a bridge (courtesy of P6Rob) to get it back in.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's a 14 second long video ...

And it took him roughly those 14 secs to travel the length of NB Silver Fox (which is 57ft long).

So anybody clever enough to calculate his speed?

(I never did get my maths O level).

Edit - ???? 21 mph. Shirley Not

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Given the original source I'd be inclined to believe the criticism but otherwise I'd want to be more confident (a still photo tells us very little about the actual speed): it is quite possible to see a breaking wave suddenly appear even having slowed down to pass a boat, and having moved over to be close to the offside bank, where the depth may well be limited. The real test is how slow does the steerer slow down after seeing it appear, if only in self interest, realising that it is a warning of shallow depth. That said, it does look as if it is pushing quite a wave under the bow.

Try pressing the play icon and watch the video

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I make it 2.77 mph

Edit - Yes trying it again I get similar.

There must be something wrong with the basis of my calc then as he is clearly travelling faster than that. 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Thomas C King said:

It's about 2.7 mph if they're at the bow at the start of the video. It's not about speed though, that can be plenty fast in many places. I think most people can tell pretty soon when there are breaking waves.

I'm pretty sure that they are quite a way from the bow when the video starts...!!!

The bank appears to be piled.

Edited by matty40s

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Edit - Yes trying it again I get similar.

There must be something wrong with the basis of my calc then as he is clearly travelling faster than that. 

In 14 seconds he travels 57ft plus the length of his boat.  Alternatively he takes about 8 seconds to go 57ft (until his bow passes the stern).

So nearer 5mph

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I also think its deceptive as Foxes Afloat are moving the other way.

Just to be clear. Are you saying that there are situations where it is perfectly OK to produce a breaking wash like that?  Or are you defending a friend of yours? 

Haven’t read the whole thread.

We got held up during the Slat Mill lock episodes of a few days ago. We were allowed through to go to Cropredy and wind. During the accent we got something around the prop, hope was that we could get back to Slat Mill lock before the inevitable re-closing on the lock.

Going past the long row of moored boats on the approach to the village no less than three verbal abusers shouted to slow down. I can hand on heart say we weren’t speeding. Not in a month of Sunday’s. Our revs were high as we were struggling to get forward movement, so, I ask, high revs means high speeds? My answer, with no hesitation, is not always. One guy really lost it, swearing, suggesting my parenthood and referring me to a lady’s front bottom. For once I kept my cool and asked him to take a deep breath and have a nice day. It didn’t help. Hope he’s okay.

We didn’t make it back in time to descend Slat Mill Lock until after the car tyre stuck under the lock gate was removed.

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Haven’t read the whole thread.

We got held up during the Slat Mill lock episodes of a few days ago. We were allowed through to go to Cropredy and wind. During the accent we got something around the prop, hope was that we could get back to Slat Mill lock before the inevitable re-closing on the lock.

Going past the long row of moored boats on the approach to the village no less than three verbal abusers shouted to slow down. I can hand on heart say we weren’t speeding. Not in a month of Sunday’s. Our revs were high as we were struggling to get forward movement, so, I ask, high revs means high speeds? My answer, with no hesitation, is not always. One guy really lost it, swearing, suggesting my parenthood and referring me to a lady’s front bottom. For once I kept my cool and asked him to take a deep breath and have a nice day. It didn’t help. Hope he’s okay.

We didn’t make it back in time to descend Slat Mill Lock until after the car tyre stuck under the lock gate was removed.

I've thought of experimenting with putting the engine in neutral and revving highly to see if I get more shouts of slow down.  I've certainly noticed if you slow down early so someone doesn't hear a change in revs you seen to get shouted at more.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Just to be clear. Are you saying that there are situations where it is perfectly OK to produce a breaking wash like that?  Or are you defending a friend of yours? 

I often do that as I approach Croxton Flash and I am not going fast and its probably twice as wide

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I often do that as I approach Croxton Flash and I am not going fast and its probably twice as wide

I think we have all been caught out at some time by a shallow edge which produces a breaking wash at quite low revs but in the case on the video, he didn't seem to be going particularly slow and he didn't appear to notice that he was producing a breaking wash or if he was aware of it, he didn't care.  Not being aware and doing something about it is to me almost worse than producing the breaking wash in the first place. 

After a number of years with no complaints about going too fast past moored boats, a recent trip from Nantwich up to the Peak Forest yielded 3 critics - Marple ( slow down, idiot, hooligan!) Hardings Wood (Wanker!) and a withering sarcastic shake of the head from some miserable sod near Ettily Heath as i passed by at close quarters as i mouthed "hello".

All looked like permanent/long stayers, and were extremely senior citizens, and were in narrow sections as i passed window to window.  I was told by another boater who tracked our route that he had had similar.

I am convinced there are many online moorers obsessed with moving boats actually moving,  who would be even more angry if you collided with their badly tied up boat due to being unable to steer because you were in neutral .....

• Greenie 2

Where we are moored now, 75% of the boats are perhaps going faster than I am comfortable with. Do I sling open the side hatch and yell obscenities?, do I run the length of Nightwatch to get my two-pennarth in?, no I don’t, as I can moor a boat correctly and securely. 

• Greenie 4

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Where we are moored now, 75% of the boats are perhaps going faster than I am comfortable with. Do I sling open the side hatch and yell obscenities?, do I run the length of Nightwatch to get my two-pennarth in?, no I don’t, as I can moor a boat correctly and securely. 

Or as my mate said to a passing boater recently "Don't worry about your over speeding we know how to tie up properly".

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I've thought of experimenting with putting the engine in neutral and revving highly to see if I get more shouts of slow down.  I've certainly noticed if you slow down early so someone doesn't hear a change in revs you seen to get shouted at more.

Indeed 

20 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Very distinctive boat.

I'd be surprised if he is not known to someone on here.

It moors local to me. That said I have never seen him speed past me, perhaps he was late for an appointment? ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post

On 19/09/2020 at 18:09, PD1964 said:

This guy doesn’t seem to want to slow down and he looks like he won’t take any notice of anyone. I hope he is a member on here and can see what a fool he looks and reading the Tweet replies what people think of them.

Sorry to say but I'm not even slightly surprised that this is a 'historic' boat.  Many times I've seen entitled and pompous behaviour on the cut, it's come from similar.  Of course some historic/traditional boat owners are lovely, but it does seem to attract some folk who think it makes them 'king of the cut' and that they can do as they please.

Just a thought, with a deep draughted tug like this, it doesn't seem to be making much of a wave at the bow, but off the stern. We don't know how deep the water is there, but I know that with a deepish draught, if I have to steer away from a moored boat on one side, my tiller action can cause a wave on the side I am steering to if the side is particularly shallow.