Shall we all stop slowing for moored boats?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

That's not what I've seen.  It's the proportion which has changed, not just the numbers.  This year is markedly different to last year.  Either that or the area I'm cruising this year is worse for some reason?

Agreed -- even though I holiday on different canals every year, this year's trip was the worst I can remember for unhelpful behaviour, including speed past moored boats, leaving gates/paddles open, abuse of people with differing opinions and so on. Still enjoyable, but could have been even better... ?

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Agreed -- even though I holiday on different canals every year, this year's trip was the worst I can remember for unhelpful behaviour, including speed past moored boats, leaving gates/paddles open, abuse of people with differing opinions and so on. Still enjoyable, but could have been even better... ?

I'm hoping it's just this year, for the reasons I gave at the beginning of the thread.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I blame CRT. They really should put traffic calming measures in place in popular mooring spots to slow down the speeding "fastards". ??

Perhaps they could dredge the moorings and drop it all in the channel to reduce the depth and therefore slow all the moving boats down.

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I blame CRT. They really should put traffic calming measures in place in popular mooring spots to slow down the speeding "fastards". ??

Two bits of 2x2 across the towpath one just before and one just after the boat  works well ;)

38 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Two bits of 2x2 across the towpath one just before and one just after the boat  works well ;)

Maybe two lengths of mooring rope floated across the cut would do the same for those equipped with propellers instead of wheels... ?

51 minutes ago, IanD said:

Maybe two lengths of mooring rope floated across the cut would do the same for those equipped with propellers instead of wheels... ?

Seen that done  years ago, rope on bottom of cut, two kids,  one either side in the bushes pull rope as boat passes, straight into the prop. 

Very effective.

Edited by Loddon

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Seen that done that years ago, rope on bottom of cut, two kids,  one either side in the bushes pull rope as boat passes, straight into the prop. 

Very effective.

I cannot visualise that :

as the kids pull the rope tight the hull would ride over the rope and the rope would slide along, over the skeg and avoid the prop completely.

It is only loose 'semi floating ropes' that would get pulled into the prop.

CAM00044.jpg

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

as the kids pull the rope tight the hull would ride over the rope and the rope would slide along, over the skeg and avoid the prop completely.

All I know is I watched the kids leg it and the boat in front stopped and had a lot of rope on its prop.

There was an extra that in my reply now gone.

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

Come on. we all know that you can't have speed bumps in water ? . What we need are  chicanes, nice tight ones which slow boats right down.. 

haggis

You could make them out of moored boats -- oh, hang on...

52 minutes ago, haggis said:

Come on. we all know that you can't have speed bumps in water ? . What we need are  chicanes, nice tight ones which slow boats right down.. 

haggis

Does that explain why more people seem to be mooring on very narrow sections where there are lots of over hanging trees, do they think this will slow other boaters down?

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I ran over what I think was a submerged 45 gallon drum once on the BCN. The front of the boat lifted up then dropped down as the rear lifted up, so perhaps they could be used. ?

We went over a wheelie bin on the main line, didn't half make the boat tip. As I looked down to see what we had gone over the lid popped up. I guess it was upright, sat on the bottom and filled with water.  It was closely followed by a wheelbarrow which was submerged but the air in the tyre was keeping it just on the surface so I spotted that and avoided it.

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do people really 'black' their settee's ?

As a police officer I used to have to enter houses that had black leather carpets and settees.

They weren't really black leather, just years of ingrained muck and dogs***t making it look that way.  You would wipe your feet on the way out!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, PD1964 said:

This guy doesn’t seem to want to slow down and he looks like he won’t take any notice of anyone. I hope he is a member on here and can see what a fool he looks and reading the Tweet replies what people think of them.

Oh my goodness, I didn't expect it to be that fast, you could ride a longboard on those waves (possibly).

18 hours ago, PD1964 said:

This guy doesn’t seem to want to slow down and he looks like he won’t take any notice of anyone. I hope he is a member on here and can see what a fool he looks and reading the Tweet replies what people think of them.

Given the original source I'd be inclined to believe the criticism but otherwise I'd want to be more confident (a still photo tells us very little about the actual speed): it is quite possible to see a breaking wave suddenly appear even having slowed down to pass a boat, and having moved over to be close to the offside bank, where the depth may well be limited. The real test is how slow does the steerer slow down after seeing it appear, if only in self interest, realising that it is a warning of shallow depth. That said, it does look as if it is pushing quite a wave under the bow.

• Greenie 1