Shall we all stop slowing for moored boats?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, I've seen those too.  I do wonder if they have misunderstood what "spring lines" are ...

Excellent little things and take the shock loading and reduce the 'boing & rebound, but it is important that they are matched to the weight of the boat.

They are almost 'the norm' on sea-going boat moorings.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

"You wrenched the line out of my hand at the speed you were doing ... Don't you slow down for moored boats?"

;)

Well yeah, but for this  to be effective you have to spend the daylight jours positioned on the bank by your bow, poised to slip the line just in case a boat comes at a speed you don't like. It helps to be paranoid enough to believe every passing boat is speeding, otherwise much of your day would be wasted...  ;)

(I don't 

(I don't think for a moment that @Loddon will be doing the above, new paint job or not!)  :)

Edited by Sea Dog
Multi post!

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The boat moored next to me earlier today had a cunning trick:

Large shackle fastened through the fender eye, and centreline fed through it as a low level spring.

I liked the idea, but not enough to fit fender eyes in my gunwales!

I think you missed Alan's "joke" Mike!

(Using Springer boats as mooring pins because there is about the same amount of steel in them.)

Well, Shirley, it was a bit like a joke, only smaller. 

15 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

when I once pointed out to a boater moored with piling hooks at 90o, he explained that if he had an angle, the hook got caught in the wailing.

I have some sympathy with this.  It's more of a problem if you tend to stay in one spot for a week or more.  It's worse with chains than hooks.  The chain works it's way down the crack until it's jammed fast and nigh on impossible to get out.  I had to abandon a chain this way on the north Stratford.  It's the main reason why I prefer hooks.  If it happens with a hook/nappy pin, you can whack it with a hammer until it comes loose.  Whacking a chain with a hammer doesn't work!

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have some sympathy with this.  It's more of a problem if you tend to stay in one spot for a week or more.  It's worse with chains than hooks.  The chain works it's way down the crack until it's jammed fast and nigh on impossible to get out.  I had to abandon a chain this way on the north Stratford.  It's the main reason why I prefer hooks.  If it happens with a hook/nappy pin, you can whack it with a hammer until it comes loose.  Whacking a chain with a hammer doesn't work!

I found all my Nappy-Pins 'jammed' in the Armco.

Just keep a good look out whilst cruising, pull over, a tap with a hammer and there you go, another nappy pin.

I have also found dozens of ratchet-straps on the side of the road, but its not so easy to just pull over on a dual carriageway, but where you can its worth stopping.

They are not cheap things and Truck drivers seem to lose them with 'gay abandon'.

My gain !

19 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The top rail of the piling is bolted to the piling at regular intervals. If you put the chain through adjacent to a bolt (so the bolt is to the boat-side) then it can’t prize the two bits of metal apart and jam. If you don’t, it can and will.

Doesn't everybody look for the bolts ?

Walks away shaking head ;)

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The top rail of the piling is bolted to the piling at regular intervals. If you put the chain through adjacent to a bolt (so the bolt is to the boat-side) then it can’t prize the two bits of metal apart and jam. If you don’t, it can and will. So as usual it is just about understanding how to tie your boat up properly! We always use chains, much better than pins which bend, clank and come adrift.

My pins don't clank and come adrift.  It is just about understanding how to tie your boat up properly!

29 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Doesn't everybody look for the bolts ?

Walks away shaking head ;)

Putting the chain next to the bolt doesn't always work.  There's a lot of knackered old armco out there...

On 03/09/2020 at 11:58, haggis said:

Kelpie has an extra T stud on both sides too but ours are in front of the cratch. I find they are SO useful and I can't understand why more boats don't have them. It is a Reeves shell and I don't know if  they were fitted by Reeves or if a subsequent owner had had them fitted.  When mooring, I use the "extra" T stud for typing off the rope and it is so much easier to reach than the  front T stud. There are extra T studs at the stern too but that is himselfs department ? 

haggis

bow_small.jpg.7360c120343b793079a425d9d665cfb7.jpg

Kelpie's front studs. They could perhaps be better a couple of inches back, but still very useful.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

My pins don't clank and come adrift.  It is just about understanding how to tie your boat up properly!

Putting the chain next to the bolt doesn't always work.  There's a lot of knackered old armco out there...

My pins don’t clank and come adrift either - because we discovered that chains are much better!

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Use a chain and put it round where the fixing bolt is in the piling then it can't jam or nip

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Kelpie's front studs. They could perhaps be better a couple of inches back, but still very useful.

We were offered anser pins on our boat (basically, rings attached to the gunnel just behind the well deck). We declined. I regret that now!

On 03/09/2020 at 13:43, TheBiscuits said:

We had a pair of small ones on the Nauticus, and they work very well with long enough lines to keep the angle correct.  Taking up an extra 100 feet of the visitor moorings makes you unpopular though.

Nothing wrong with crossing mooring ropes with another vessel's.  (Or sharing bollards or rings, )

:cheers:

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've tapped a mooring pin down the gap to free a stuck piling hook. I prefer to use chains unless it involves kneeling on wet grass then I'll use hooks.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Never bought a nappy pin in my life. We have six or seven now, how can you forget them?.

I've acquired two additional ones on this trip, I don't understand how people leave them behind as I take the hook out with the mooring line still running through it.

3 hours ago, Iain_S said:

I too have them on my hull, along with a t stud on the roof rather than a ring thats good when rafting up. I havnt used nappy pins for ages and use chains mostly.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Never bought a nappy pin in my life. We have six or seven now, how can you forget them?.

Have you considered that they may be left behind purposely by disgruntled boaters who cast off and stealthily slip away leaving them for either a person with magpie tendencies or someone who knows no better than to moor with the bloomin' awful things? ;)

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, CLAN1 said:

My i also add, i never understand why some boats have to pass so CLOSE they could clean my Windows as they pass, even when there is enough width to get three boats abreast 

You can't look in through the windows if you don't, also a good reason to slow down