Fossedyke stoppage

MrsM

Featured Posts

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/17467-foss-bank-flood-alleviation-scheme-lincoln-fossdyke-canal-opposite-university-halls-of-residence-and-visitor-moorings

We were due to home-moor at the Brayford in Lincoln but spotted the above just before we picked up our boat about a month ago. No-one at the Brayford knew about it and I still haven't met anyone who seems to a) have read about it, or b) thinks this is an issue. I don't know if I'm misunderstanding the situation but it as I read it moorers at the Brayford are going to be pretty much stranded for 4 months, with the exception of a week of passage around Christmas. Is this right and is this normal? Am I missing something?

Edited by MrsM

No you are not missing anything. The Fossditch will be closed from Brayford Pool to the sanitary station for four months, with the exception of a couple of weeks at Christmas. 

Boats in Brayford are not stranded, they can go and cruise the Witham.

Those of us the other side of the stoppage are hoping that the Trent behaves itself otherwise we are stranded on an 8 mile stretch of ditch!

4 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Even the Torskie lockie who moors there knew nothing about it!

The lockies to ask about maintenance and works are Adj and Adrian. They work on the maintenance side normally. 

Assuming you spoke to Neil he is the "full-time " lockie. 

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Boats in Brayford are not stranded, they can go and cruise the Witham

Not while the Stamp End sluice is being worked on!! Practicing 360 degree turns in the Brayford time .... as long as you don't use a pump-out loo (ie need to empty it) ?

Edited by MrsM

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The lockies to ask about maintenance and works are Adj and Adrian. They work on the maintenance side normally. 

Assuming you spoke to Neil he is the "full-time " lockie. 

Not sure of his name. There were 2 on. V nice chaps. What a bugger - hadn't appreciated the impact it will have on everyone on the Fossedyke. I guess the Trent is quite inaccessible for much of the winter months due to flow etc? What a lot I've got to learn ...

7 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Not while the Stamp End sluice is being worked on!! Practicing 360 degree turns in the Brayford time .... as long as you don't use a pump-out loo (ie need to empty it) ?

Yes you can. They have been working on the sluice gates for months now. The navigation is open onto the Witham.

The red light means navigate with care. It is closed when it is flashing red.

2 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Not sure of his name. There were 2 on. V nice chaps. What a bugger - hadn't appreciated the impact it will have on everyone on the Fossedyke. I guess the Trent is quite inaccessible for much of the winter months due to flow etc? What a lot I've got to learn ...

Not always. We have had some lovely winter cruises on the Trent. Depends how much rain we get.

9 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Good excuse for a run down the Witham and a trip to Geordies to get the pump out emptied.

• 2 months later...

Notice Alert

River Witham
Starts At: Lock 1, Stamp End Lock
Ends At: Lock 1, Stamp End Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: Bridge 4
Down Stream Winding Hole: Bridge 7

Monday 2 November 2020 08:00 until Friday 12 February 2021 16:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair

Update on 24/11/2020:

After removal, stripping down and inspection, it was found the lock gate mechanism from Stamp End Lock requires much more extensive refurbishment work than originally anticipated. 

Unfortunately, this means the stoppage needs to be extended until 12th February 2021. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this longer closure may cause.

Original message:

Refurbishment of the existing operating system for the guillotine gate arrangement.

01/06/2020:  The information above is a draft notice of works planned as part of our winter 2020/21 stoppages programme.  This is subject to change depending on the latest advice from the UK government on coronavirus.  Please follow our guidance relating to coronavirus when using the canals and towpaths https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/coronavirus.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/17541/lock-1-stamp-end-lock-lincoln-river-witham

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices