King tiller pin

umpire111

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Erm, how's about follow that URL you posted to Black Country Metalworks?  The first click I did revealed....

King Tiller Pin

Normal Price: £14.99

Sale Price (while stocks last): £12.74

Product Code: MC003

It does say in the details, so there may be some confusion (that a phone call will resolve)

Trade order only, minimum order quantity 50-100 pieces. For the latest trade price, please email us.

When I wanted a horse head tiller pin for KELPIE (for a present for Iain) I  eventually bought a pair of suitable brass  horse head book ends on eBay and Mike Wooding of this parish made one of them into a lovely tiller pin which matches  the horse's head on the side of the boat

Sadly the other head was taken when our house was burgled

Haggis

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

There is a boat that is often at the markets at Alvecote marina, cant remember the name of them though, they sell lots of tiller pins..

Maybe someone else will remember?

That's Mike Wooding who moors on the Ashby now I believe

I believe that tiller pins of old were actually poker heads. Possibly from an old, burned down poker no longer used. Some of those from Victorian times were beautifully ornate and elegant, looking just right with a brass tiller. It took a lot of searching in antique shops and centres to find what I was looking for, I hit lucky in the Cotswolds, happy to pay £30 for the poker. I no longer have the boat but the pin lives on our bureau. I should have a photo somewhere...

73F6184D-E58A-4D77-83BC-97E4230D225C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Erm, how's about follow that URL you posted to Black Country Metalworks?  The first click I did revealed....

King Tiller Pin

But you have to buy a 1000!

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

King Tiller Pin

probably because "Trade order only, minimum order quantity 50-100 pieces. For the latest trade price, please email us."

you can try to add just one but it defaults to 100 in the basket

1 hour ago, umpire111 said:

But you have to buy a 1000!

There's something wrong there - it seems very unusual to do a sale price on individual units "while stocks last" and only sell by the thousands exclusively to the trade!  In any case, who is ever going to buy and shift a thousand "king" tillerpins?  There simply isn't the market.  I think you'd be wise to take @Alan de Enfield 's advice and give them a ring. 

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

I believe that tiller pins of old were actually poker heads. Possibly from an old, burned down poker no longer used. Some of those from Victorian times were beautifully ornate and elegant, looking just right with a brass tiller. It took a lot of searching in antique shops and centres to find what I was looking for, I hit lucky in the Cotswolds, happy to pay £30 for the poker. I no longer have the boat but the pin lives on our bureau. I should have a photo somewhere...

73F6184D-E58A-4D77-83BC-97E4230D225C.jpeg

All my tiller pins were made from old pokers, but I rarely spent more than a pound on them. I lost my favourite one, which looked very similar to yours, but I managed to hang on to my next favourite one. I sold  most of them after selling the boat nearly four years ago, but I still have my next favourite one as illustrated below :-

1411969302_SOxford02TillerPin.jpg.7417cf0453a12cb35a3960456bebe61a.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

58 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

All my tiller pins were made from old pokers, but I rarely spent more than a pound on them. I lost my favourite one, which looked very similar to yours, but I managed to hang on to my next favourite one. I sold  most of them after selling the boat nearly four years ago, but I still have my next favourite one as illustrated below :-

1411969302_SOxford02TillerPin.jpg.7417cf0453a12cb35a3960456bebe61a.jpg

One of them went to a good home! :)

IMGP4968.JPG

Edited by Ray T

56 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I hope that the tiller pins are of better quality than the tinware offered by BCM

Called and spoke to them, only sell by the thousand

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Why not ask Black Country Metalworks who they have recently supplied these to?

Done that, say can’t help....data protection etc!

31 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Called and spoke to them, only sell by the thousand

Done that, say can’t help....data protection etc!

Well, you tried pretty hard to buy their product in these troubled times...  :)

I have to repeat though - who the devil is going to buy 1000 identical tiller pins?  If someone bought 1000 assorted tiller pins they'd take years and years to sell unless there's some other application I can't think of?  My mind is boggled.  Plus - we can't tell you where to buy our products?  Far canal, their marketing department are doing them proud! :banghead: