The Caldon.

johnmck

Featured Posts

We are on the Caldon at the moment. Whilst moving boats are few, a trip down the Leek branch found the moorings at the end, rammed.

So we are back near Hazelhurst junction, intending to do a right on hitting the main line and down the locks. The turn looks a little tight. Anyone negotiated this junction recently and know the maximum length? Or do I just head for the winding hole and make life easier.

12 hours ago, johnmck said:

We are only a tad over 58ft, so will give it a go.?

We did it about 3 weeks ago in our 57' boat. The vegetation is badly overgrown, so it's hard to tell what's a hard edge and what's not, and many a bend is now blind, but nothing that can't be managed with care.

We took the bend at the junction in the same direction as you, and it should not be an issue as there's plenty of manoeuvring room.  I did it in one iirc - there was certainly no drama involved. I'd advise not covering your eyes like that little monkey in your post though... ;)

10 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Lack of facilities :)

Park Lane services are good ... We've had many a happy barbecue next to the toilet block.

Non-boaty friends think we are mad, but boaters understand. :)

Oh, and the Black Lion at Consall Forge is worth the trip on it's own.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Park Lane services are good ... We've had many a happy barbecue next to the toilet block.

Non-boaty friends think we are mad, but boaters understand. :)

Oh, and the Black Lion at Consall Forge is worth the trip on it's own.

No Legs 11 club though :)