Crystal Palace P.H. Berkhamsted

beardshave

Featured Posts

Here is the planning application:

https://planning.dacorum.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QEOJCXFOJYL00

Chris G

ETA  The Viability Report makes interesting reading. Savills would probably taken a different view if they were trying to sell it as a going concern! 

Edited by Batavia

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Let's hope they keep the windows.

And (if what one of my books says is true) the glass replica of the Crystal Palace that was the original roof, which remained in the attic after it had to be covered by a proper roof because kids kept throwing stones and lumps of coal at it.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

And (if what one of my books says is true) the glass replica of the Crystal Palace that was the original roof, which remained in the attic after it had to be covered by a proper roof because kids kept throwing stones and lumps of coal at it.

Living less than 100 yards from the Crystal Palace, I have heard this story many times, but have never seen anything to substantiate it.

I suspect that it was only the original facade that resembled the Crystal Palace (apologies for the tiny image):

Crystal Palace.jpg

2 hours ago, Batavia said:

Here is the planning application:

https://planning.dacorum.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QEOJCXFOJYL00

Chris G

ETA  The Viability Report makes interesting reading. Savills would probably taken a different view if they were trying to sell it as a going concern! 

Interesting, but really it's better to let it be converted to housing rather than allow the building to decline like the Cowroast Pub or the White Lion at Marsworth. Sadly pubs are in decline and this closure will be the first of many, looking at the figures and prevailing market conditions I think a pub would be the last thing I would invest in. Although locally, Akeman Inns seem to be shrewd operators along the A41 and good luck to the Grand Junction at Bulbourne now under their stewardship - although boaters won't like their prices.

34 minutes ago, LEO said:

Interesting, but really it's better to let it be converted to housing rather than allow the building to decline like the Cowroast Pub or the White Lion at Marsworth. Sadly pubs are in decline and this closure will be the first of many, looking at the figures and prevailing market conditions I think a pub would be the last thing I would invest in. Although locally, Akeman Inns seem to be shrewd operators along the A41 and good luck to the Grand Junction at Bulbourne now under their stewardship - although boaters won't like their prices.

Agreed - although I think that the pub could have been saved if it had changed direction over the past 5 years.  However, who in their right mind would want to live there, with the West Coast Main Line on an embankment 10 metres away on one side, the narrow, well-used towpath directly outside your windows and boats running their engines moored up outside?  Sounds perfect!

Chris G

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Batavia said:

Agreed - although I think that the pub could have been saved if it had changed direction over the past 5 years.  However, who in their right mind would want to live there, with the West Coast Main Line on an embankment 10 metres away on one side, the narrow, well-used towpath directly outside your windows and boats running their engines moored up outside?  Sounds perfect!

Chris G

Until the No Mooring signs get installed, unofficial at first then CRT gets a bent ear and sticks official ones there.

• Greenie 1