Moving a Narrowboat north to south

Anika90

Featured Posts

Hello everybody,

I hope you're all doing well.

I have recently bought my first narrowboat and I am absolutely in love with her. She's a small 26ft boat and I have been thinking of ways to move her from near Leeds down to Banbury.

I've heard there are some people who do this professionally on here and I was wondering what they would charge for that.

I'd like to avoid using a lorry, but being on my own and new to all this (and needing a fair amount of days off work) I thought it might be good to find someone experienced to do this trip for me.

Thank you for your help,

Anika

20 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Welcome to the forum.

You may find someone, but that trip is 240+ miles and a good 14 days travel. I would check road transport as you may well find it to be the cheaper option.

Kevin

Hi, 

Thank you!

Yes, it is a looooong old way... 

Do people have recommendations regarding companies to use for moving?

Thanks

Did a similar trip last year, Trent and Mersey to River Lea two up. The crew was not that good at early rising so it took six weeks.

You really need an experienced crew particularly if you are new to the game. I'm not saying that it can't be done single handed if you can spare the time but it is an awful lot of work, not only is it over 200 miles but it is over two hundred locks too, if you 'aint fit now you will be by the time you're done!

50 minutes ago, Anika90 said:

Hello everybody,

I hope you're all doing well.

I have recently bought my first narrowboat and I am absolutely in love with her. She's a small 26ft boat and I have been thinking of ways to move her from near Leeds down to Banbury.

I've heard there are some people who do this professionally on here and I was wondering what they would charge for that.

I'd like to avoid using a lorry, but being on my own and new to all this (and needing a fair amount of days off work) I thought it might be good to find someone experienced to do this trip for me.

Thank you for your help,

Anika

Welcome to the forum. At 26 feet, you don't really need a lorry to move the boat by road but, depending on the weight, it should be able to move it on a trailer pulled by a hefty 4 X 4 . I know others on here have used a company which does this but I can't remember the name of the company. Naughty Cal of this parish will know! If the boat is trailed rather than put on the back of a lorry, you don't need a crane to lift it out and back in again but a slipway which is a lot cheaper. 

haggis

Just now, matty40s said:

Going by the Trent is 78 locks fewer.

But a tidal river from Keadby to Cromwell. A tall order for someone new to boating with a new to them boat of unknown reliability.

Leeds (Clarence Dock) to Banbury takes 142 hours, via the Leeds and Liverpool, according to Canalplan. Take an estimate of what 142 hours will cost paying someone. Almost certainly cheaper on a lorry, or trailer.

Jen

• Greenie 1

There aren't many 26ft narrow boats out there, so it might be useful if the OP gave a few more details. For example, if it is a Sea Otter then it may well be trailable, or even with a small lorry and Hiab.

Are there any suitable slipways in/near Leeds or Banbury?