Best Passing Remarks/Greetings

The Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

Every day on the cut you pass random boaters... there is the big "Good Morning / Morning" which usually lasts until at least 3pm, then there's the default "Hellooo"... maybe the odd "Hiya"... very quickly replaced by an admixture of smiles and head nodding.  We need to mix this up, people.

As you're travelling in the opposite direction you're not likely to see these folks anytime soon, so get creative.  I've started to talk in nouns... my current favourite is to announce "Biscuit!" followed by a licking of the lips and an ecstatic look skyward. 

2 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Every day on the cut you pass random boaters... there is the big "Good Morning / Morning" which usually lasts until at least 3pm, then there's the default "Hellooo"... maybe the odd "Hiya"... very quickly replaced by an admixture of smiles and head nodding.  We need to mix this up, people.

As you're travelling in the opposite direction you're not likely to see these folks anytime soon, so get creative.  I've started to talk in nouns... my current favourite is to announce "Biscuit!" followed by a licking of the lips and an ecstatic look skyward. 

How many times have you  been sectioned recently?

8 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Nice idea, but not original, in fact quite common around here. I shouted "Biscuits!" at another boater myself a couple of years back, on the Peak Forest Canal iirc. @TheBiscuits of to his parish replied with hearty "Sea Dog!"  

• Happy 2

Good Morning  lasts till after lunch has been taken.  Lunch is a boater's meal that occurs anytime between about 1130 (before is Elevenses) and circa 1500, (after is Tea) , depending on available supplies, the laundry, the cook, the caterer, the weather, the state of the road, opening hours and the price of cod in Grimsby last Tuesday, among other things.

"Haar  D'yer Do "is the traditional greeting to boaters you do not know well, but are not so far off your Christmas card list for them to need a dose of chimney.

N

• Greenie 1

Him on the tiller just shouts out nonsense with a heavy accent, tips a finger to his cap and smiles. Seems to make sense to all the boaters he passes - they shout back nonsense, tip a finger to their cap and smile back. I see we must have passed Loddon recently!

• Happy 1

If I have food I offer the plate to them as we pass. (but not too closely)

If they're drinking I point at them and shout "Look, they've got beer!" in an offended manner (on many an occasion I have had a can or a bottle passed to me)

Otherwise I usually look seriously at them and warn them.  "Have you heard about the Volcano/Earthquake/Beached Whale etc. just ahead of you?  We only just got through"

Two years ago I wore a toy crown (bought up The Ashby) and for the rest of the trip I bestowed titles upon passing boaters warning them it was only effective for today and they best make the most of the opportunity.

If any of the above fails to elicit any kind of response in return it matters not a jot.  I enter into this for my own amusement and so long as it makes me laugh that's all that matters.

• Greenie 3

I often can't hear people over the engine, so I just do a fake laugh, assuming they've made some witty comment. Next time I might just mime to see if everyone else is doing the same thing.

Worst passing remark: "if you didn't have plants on your ****** roof you'd be able to see where you are going". No idea why, we were both going alongside without any difficulty and I normally stand to the side of the boat to make sure they're parallel.

Edited by magpie patrick
remove expletive
  • Greenie 1

“i didn’t know it was naked Wednesday?”

shouted to a passing boat being steered seemingly by a naked chap leaning out of a window near the front, we assume he had pants on really but you couldn't tell, also it was Wednesday.

oddly we always seem to come across naked people on a Wednesday ?

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

I often can't hear people over the engine, so I just do a fake laugh, assuming they've made some witty comment. Next time I might just mime to see if everyone else is doing the same thing.

Worst passing remark: "if you didn't have plants on your ****** roof you'd be able to see where you are going". No idea why, we were both going alongside without any difficulty and I normally stand to the side of the boat to make sure they're parallel.

Given that a boat with such a rooftop garden nearly caused a head-on collision with us a few years ago ("sorry-didn't see you!") by carrying on merrily down the middle of the cut oblivious to waving/shouting/horn/headlight flashes, I can see why some people might get annoyed -- you might be vigilant in looking round them, but obviously not everybody is so careful...

Edited by magpie patrick
remove expletive from quote