Britain's oldest horse-drawn barge 'sunk' by Snowflakes

ChrisJBrady

Featured Posts

Britain's oldest horse-drawn barge which once featured in Coronation Street is forced to stop river trips after owner clashed with 'snowflake' canal users who accused her of animal cruelty

*   Jenny Roberts has run a successful river trip business on her horse-pulled barge boat Iona for 35 years
*   But 'woke' canal users on the River Wey in Surrey have accused her of 'animal cruelty' towards the horses
*   Has also suffered a dangerous increase in people paddle boarding waterways and overcrowding footpaths 
*   She says 'snowflakes' have forced her to close her company and retire her three horses early
*   She has loaned boat to Tiverton Canal Company, whose boss Philip Brind has also received 'woke comments'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8681421/Oldest-horse-drawn-barge-forced-stop-river-trips-clashes-snowflake-canal-users.html

====

17 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ah, that's why I didn't know. I am neither black, left wing, socially liberal, Afro Caribbean  or any other daft definition relating to a society that I do not understand and which doesn't give a damn about me.

I shall ignore it completely from now on.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, that's why I didn't know. I am neither black, left wing, socially liberal, Afro Caribbean  or any other daft definition relating to a society that I do not understand and which doesn't give a damn about me.

Sounds like you are not " PC " either............thank God!!

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Sounds like you are not " PC " either............thank God!!

The only PCs that I know wore pointed hats and had truncheons, oh,  and the hated robbers at PC World.

Never had a PC, just laptops. 

God certainly had nothing to do with it or me either.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Good old Mail twisting a story. 

Yes, I am not clicking the link on principle.  Little more than click bate.

I am sure lockdown has increased the amount of people on the tow path, paddle boarders, as well as likely reduced tolerance in all directions and likely reduced the number of people she can have on the boat to an unsustainable level. Ruddy snowflakes ruining our summer.....

Daniel

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What is "woke"?

Judging by events in the USA - such as in Portland, NYC, et al - its an excuse for intolerance, violence, rioting, and thuggery; and a lack of personal responsibility towards the community.

Edited by ChrisJBrady

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

Yes, I am not clicking the link on principle.  Little more than click bate.

I am sure lockdown has increased the amount of people on the tow path, paddle boarders, as well as likely reduced tolerance in all directions and likely reduced the number of people she can have on the boat to an unsustainable level. Ruddy snowflakes ruining our summer.....

Daniel

Clicking on the link will display a great image of the horse drawn boat and said horse.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Its like religion then?

More of an abusive cult based upon the principle of "if you don't believe what we believe then we can destroy your property, beat you up, or kill you." Now-a-days there's quite a few like that.

• Sad 1

It's a state of affairs that seems to be growing, everyone has a gripe and without responses from so called 'higher authorities', they turn in on themselves and the people they meet in everyday life. Frustration turns to anger and the World is the worse for it. Combine that with 'authority' becoming dictatorial and the whole thing is compounded.

Sad to see the horse drawn trip-boat end, but equally understand why.

Edited by Derek R.

13 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, you misunderstand. “Woke” is not about being in any of those categories that you mention, it is about being offended on behalf of anybody in any of those categories, none of whom you’ve ever met, without regard to whether those people might actually have good reason to be offended.

3 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

It's a state of affairs that seems to be growing, everyone has a gripe and without responses from so called 'higher authorities', they turn in on themselves and the people they meet in everyday life. Frustration turns to anger and the World is the worse for it.

Oh the irony!

13 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

I'm sure those nags will enjoy their carefree retirement at the glue factory. 

In the 1970s, on the boat I only had to get within a couple of miles of the glue works at Appley Bridge for my dog to come and sit and shiver as close as possible to me steering, with genuine relief once we had passed.

Appley glue works.jpg

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

What is "woke"?

'Woke' is a term used to describe people like me  who sometimes accidentally read some nonsense in the Daily Mail and think that it is just that, nonsense and say so. Those that believe said nonsense then call the rest of us 'woke' Much the same as 'Snowflake'. Anybody who questions some fundamentalist rubbish is called a snowflake. Such is the level of debate in todays Britain.

• Greenie 4

3 hours ago, Pluto said:

In the 1970s, on the boat I only had to get within a couple of miles of the glue works at Appley Bridge for my dog to come and sit and shiver as close as possible to me steering, with genuine relief once we had passed.

Appley glue works.jpg

I remember it well - my mum's mother and sister lived in Appley Lane North and we walked the canal regularly

Mum's sister still lives there, but the glue factory has long gone!

18 hours ago, ChrisJBrady said:

Britain's oldest horse-drawn barge which once featured in Coronation Street is forced to stop river trips after owner clashed with 'snowflake' canal users who accused her of animal cruelty

*   Jenny Roberts has run a successful river trip business on her horse-pulled barge boat Iona for 35 years

Which means it's not the oldest by a long shot - unless it's the word "narrow boat" that is at issue

Tivertonian has been running at least 45 years, I went on it in the mid 70's and the Llangollen ones 100 years plus,