Black Prince boats

RichM

Featured Posts

As some will know, I sold my Liverpool Boat earlier this year to go "back to land". While it may be more practical given the current "climate", I know I belong on the water, so I still keep looking at boats for the future and would eventually like to get a circa 60ft Black Prince boat, I think?

One of the things I hated about my boat is that it seemed that the designer had aesthetics as his/her priority following the professional refit she had circa 10 years ago. Things were not easily accessible, many things I needed to get at (e.g. battery bank) were a nightmare to get to and routine maintenance tasks were quite often a royal PITA. The interior woodwork was also done to such a high standard that replacing any of it (e.g. due to water/condensation damage etc) required someone more skilled than I to refurbish it back to original standard. - A problem I did not forsee when I bought her 5 years ago.

Am I right in thinking that Black Prince boats being ex-hire boats make life a little easier in this regard? Also, I imagine the hulls are built to be stronger and the interiors more durable than your average Liverpool Boat construction?

I don't know why though I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Black Prince boats though right now there doesn't appear to be much available on Apolloduck!

Cheers

Rich

Edited by RichM
typos

21 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Black Prince boats are generally well regarded. The only downside is that many hire boats are fitted out to maximise the number of berths, rather than living space.

And the crazy rear viewing mirror!

Unfortunately the hull design is a dead give away of its Price Fellows parentage.  Easy to fix a rudder though.

A better shell than most L/pools.

Last month I helped a Black Prince hire boat moor on a windy afternoon. It was a 60ft boat, and surprised me by being a lot lighter than my 57ft. I don't know what draught they're built with but I suppose if only 18" or so, this would make a difference.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Last month I helped a Black Prince hire boat moor on a windy afternoon. It was a 60ft boat, and surprised me by being a lot lighter than my 57ft. I don't know what draught they're built with but I suppose if only 18" or so, this would make a difference.

Puddle skimmers. They don't turn too well either because of the lack of draught.

I've moved a few around and they catch me out every time at the first sharp turn, its like side slip on a handcart on ice.

Black Prince interiors are generally wipe clean surfaces everywhere. The furniture is usually laminated chip board or MDF, and delaminates fairly commonly.

You need to check the engine bay area surrounding the fuel tanks/weed hatch, as this area can hold water (having a welded steel bar across, and two drain holes in the rear fender insert)...and is a rust haven.

If you are buying straight from Black Prince, you usually get a spray paint change of colour, this is only a single coat so will not last more than a few years.

According to Colecraft, there are unlikely to be any for sale this year as theyve got rid of too many and are catching up on builds.

20200831_193112.jpg

20200831_193139.jpg

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Black Prince interiors are generally wipe clean surfaces everywhere. The furniture is usually laminated chip board or MDF, and delaminates fairly commonly.

You need to check the engine bay area surrounding the fuel tanks/weed hatch, as this area can hold water (having a welded steel bar across, and two drain holes in the rear fender insert)...and is a rust haven.

If you are buying straight from Black Prince, you usually get a spray paint change of colour, this is only a single coat so will not last more than a few years.

According to Colecraft, there are unlikely to be any for sale this year as theyve got rid of too many and are catching up on builds.

20200831_193112.jpg

20200831_193139.jpg

Didnt Johny Pinder build lots of Black Prince?

Blue String Pudding of this parish has one I believe.  Maybe a PM might elicit her experiences, which I think are generally good.

As with all things these days there is also sssortedsocial meeja groupings for current owners.

N

We have a deposit on an ex Black Prince 69ft to upsize from our current boat. They are easy to spot so have been speaking to a few owners about their experiences, nobody seems unhappy with theirs.

There is sometimes a waiting list you can get added to I think, but last year when we were looking there were a few boats to pick from so I think demand comes and goes or they had a surplus being decommissioned last year.

19 hours ago, Martin Nicholas said:

They (the shells) are kits, I believe.

For a while they were built at Festival Park - I remember fronts and backs sitting in the workshop waiting for middles to be spliced in.

The late Arthur Rudland was in charge of Chirk and Festival Park and ran the Black Prince fleets there, however I am sure the modern boats being sold on now will have quite different builders.

With the present heavy demand for hire boats they may not be selling many off this year.

I think every available boat is out on hire at the moment, its like a procession some days of every hire fleet going past, red ones, yellow ones, green, ones, blue ones, even half painted ones.