“Boating Beyond Repair” warning to Newbies How not to buy a boat

PD1964

Featured Posts

Not a bad boat, they must of worked hard over the last couple of weeks to go from a sinking boat that they couldn’t afford to repair to buy a £40k ish boat that’s probably better then most have on here. Just shows that with hard work what can be achieved?

Edited by PD1964

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Not a bad boat, they must of worked hard over the last couple of weeks to go from a sinking boat that they couldn’t afford to repair to buy a £40k ish boat that’s probably better then most have on here. Just shows that with hard work what can be achieved?

Absolutely - though I think it will have taken them more than a couple of weeks!

54 minutes ago, Athy said:

Absolutely - though I think it will have taken them more than a couple of weeks!

29th August: It’s all gone wrong, Boat is sinking, we’ve had enough. Can’t afford to repair it and can’t afford a new one. 

12th September: We’re buying a new boat, isn’t it nice?

I make that 2 weeks 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

29th August: It’s all gone wrong, Boat is sinking, we’ve had enough. Can’t afford to repair it and can’t afford a new one. 

I make that 2 weeks 

Their new boat certainly looks nice and in fact, it looks as if it has just been refitted or fitted out. Everything looks new and it is a big step up from their previous boat.  As they had no money  on 29th August I can only assume that people have been very generous with their donations.  Lucky them! 

haggis

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I make that 2 weeks 

They have certainly done very well, however they managed it.

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

Their new boat certainly looks nice and in fact, it looks as if it has just been refitted or fitted out. Everything looks new and it is a big step up from their previous boat. 

It even has a cocooned genny. 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Their new boat certainly looks nice and in fact, it looks as if it has just been refitted or fitted out. Everything looks new and it is a big step up from their previous boat.  As they had no money  on 29th August I can only assume that people have been very generous with their donations.  Lucky them! 

haggis

Yes one minute their pleading poverty next they have what looks like a £40K plus boat

They refuse to answer the questions in their Vlog comments of how they have achieved buying it?

Edited by PD1964
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wouldn't answer questions on how I can afford a boat

But their quite happy telling everyone how much money they haven’t got and how their life on the canal is over as they can’t afford the repairs on their old boat and pleading poverty.  Why not let people know how it’s suddenly all changed?

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2
  • Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

But their quite happy telling everyone how much money they haven’t got and how their life on the canal is over as they can’t afford the repairs on their old boat and pleading poverty.  Why not let people know how it’s suddenly all changed?

Do you tell everyone where your money comes from?

You really are coming over as obsessed, and not in a particularly nice way.

14 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

And all your doing is coming over as one of their fans and supporters. 
 If they’re going to put their life on Youtube at least put the whole story on.

Edited by PD1964

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

And all your doing is coming over as one of their fans and supporters. 

And?

I have admitted I have looked at their videos, just like I look at other people's Vlogs, and subscribe to some of them.

So perhaps you would like to explain why that is so wrong? As I said you seem to be obsessed and not in a particularly nice way.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

And?

I have admitted I have looked at their videos, just like I look at other people's Vlogs, and subscribe to some of them.

So perhaps you would like to explain why that is so wrong? As I said you seem to be obsessed and not in a particularly nice way.

I’m not obsessed just that a lot of these Vloggers don’t portray what is actually the real world of canal living.  Please remember that when you watch them as they are intended for non boaters, when you live and work on the canal you tend not to watch them, never mind subscribe to them.

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I’m not obsessed just that a lot of these Vloggers don’t portray what is actually the real world of canal living.  Please remember that when you watch them as they are intended for non boaters, when you live and work on the canal you tend not to watch them, never mind subscribe to them.

Indeed, we just moan about them on forums instead. But surely we must have watched enough to know what to moan about? 

Very little on social media, or any media for that matter, gives the full picture. Almost everything is edited down to portray something in a particular light which suits the producers narrative. 

4 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Last time I was asked what the money was for I was in the bank drawing out £750 or so. Said it was to pay for a quantity of dope. Oh how we laughed! Then I told them a really big lie - said it was to pay for a second hand car. Hee hee!, They believed the lie!  (please don't dob me in to Priti Patel anybody, I might just have embroidered the story a little)

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Last time I was asked what the money was for I was in the bank drawing out £750 or so. Said it was to pay for a quantity of dope. Oh how we laughed! Then I told them a really big lie - said it was to pay for a second hand car. Hee hee!, They believed the lie!  (please don't dob me in to Priti Patel anybody, I might just have embroidered the story a little)

Or as I heard it put, in relation to additional advances on mortgages,

"I think there's a lot of people driving around in their new conservatories".

If you put your life up for sale then your fare game, ever heard the story of Rowan Atkinson landing an aeroplane when pilot passed out, no because he doesn’t play the media game so his life is off limits. They play the game so all comments and fans are just as justified. They have  5k followers so easily could raise donation money. I wouldn’t trust a word they say though as it’s more than rose tinting, in the spell of a week they had gone from pointing out the Swiss cheese hull of AWOL to saying it was a sound boat and a good buy. I’d never sell a second hand car without going over all the problems with it but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth how they can spin so quickly on the condition of their last boat. They personify buyer beware. 

Edited by big d
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, big d said:

If you put your life up for sale then your fare game, ever heard the story of Rowan Atkinson landing an aeroplane when pilot passed out, no because he doesn’t play the media game so his life is off limits. They play the game so all comments and fans are just as justified. They have  5k followers so easily could raise donation money. I wouldn’t trust a word they say though as it’s more than rose tinting, in the spell of a week they had gone from pointing out the Swiss cheese hull of AWOL to saying it was a sound boat and a good buy. I’d never sell a second hand car without going over all the problems with it but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth how they can spin so quickly on the condition of their last boat. They personify buyer beware. 

I think people are sometimes just too interested in how other people live their lives.

If I don't like a particular video blog I just dont follow it. Ive actually not followed this one as the subject matter based on the description didnt interest me.

Im not sure how difficult that is for some to grasp?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

• 7 months later...

You tube keeps sending me notifications  to their videos, I’m not logged in but as I watch Robbie Cumming boat diary on YouTube I guess some algorithm thinks I want to watch them bang on about how they are not “rich by any means” while answering none of the questions about earning money or how one minute a boats too expensive to fix and then having top of the range budgets within a fought-night. Also if I remember ALevel psychology 101 then I’d someone blinks, looks down to the left while making a statement it shows they are accessing the part of the brain that is emotion centric and is used in forming a falsehood. No link to video as not one to drive traffic but does anyone no how to purge a YouTube algorithm  

28 minutes ago, big d said:

You tube keeps sending me notifications  to their videos, I’m not logged in but as I watch Robbie Cumming boat diary on YouTube I guess some algorithm thinks I want to watch them bang on about how they are not “rich by any means” while answering none of the questions about earning money or how one minute a boats too expensive to fix and then having top of the range budgets within a fought-night. Also if I remember ALevel psychology 101 then I’d someone blinks, looks down to the left while making a statement it shows they are accessing the part of the brain that is emotion centric and is used in forming a falsehood. No link to video as not one to drive traffic but does anyone no how to purge a YouTube algorithm  

There is an option to select 'this is of no interest to me'.

But where it is depends on your device.

Often it will be on the 'three dots' menu. Often used by Google who own you tube.

Edited by The Happy Nomad