“Boating Beyond Repair” warning to Newbies How not to buy a boat

PD1964

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have a grandson, age 8, who wants to be a You-tuber when he grows up. Its a strange world for us crumblies. In our day you had to work not sit on your Harris and play with a phone.

So do the people who make TV programs not work for a living or people who write travel books? Its another media stream, not one I follow, but lots of people watch Youtube rather than TV

3 hours ago, transplant said:

Normally when gear gets donated to a channel the vlogger tends to plug it, or at least "review" it.

There is one who is always saying how good Victron is, He will even give you a code for a bit of discount.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So do the people who make TV programs not work for a living or people who write travel books? Its another media stream, not one I follow, but lots of people watch Youtube rather than TV

Not what I said at all, do not put words into my mouth. Making smart inflammatory  comments supposedly at my expense is merely rude.

What I said it was a different world to my life.

11 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Not what I said at all, do not put words into my mouth. Making smart inflammatory  comments supposedly at my expense is merely rude.

What I said it was a different world to my life.

I think you missed the point, your 8 year old  could make a very good living as a Youtuber if he rises te ranks, The top ones earn a fantastic amount. I am sorry that you have taken this personally but the whole thread has turned into Youtubers not working and expecting handouts, I was asking the difference between making a TV program and making a youtube.

https://www.onefamily.com/talking-finance/finance/how-much-do-youtubers-make/

If after this you think me rude, fine I cant do anything to change that.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you missed the point, your 8 year old  could make a very good living as a Youtuber if he rises te ranks, The top ones earn a fantastic amount. I am sorry that you have taken this personally but the whole thread has turned into Youtubers not working and expecting handouts, I was asking the difference between making a TV program and making a youtube.

https://www.onefamily.com/talking-finance/finance/how-much-do-youtubers-make/

If after this you think me rude, fine I cant do anything to change that.

I think you were being a dick, not like you to be so, don't do it again.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think you were being a dick, not like you to be so, don't do it again.

Shall we have a full blown one. now you are calling me a Dick. I explained my thoughts, if you don't like it why don't you just leave it and think  what you like of me.

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have a grandson, age 8, who wants to be a You-tuber when he grows up. Its a strange world for us crumblies. In our day you had to work not sit on your Harris and play with a phone.

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but the above suggests that, if your grandson becomes a successful You-Tuber he will be making a living by sitting on his Harris playing with his phone, whereas you had to “work”.

22 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but the above suggests that, if your grandson becomes a successful You-Tuber he will be making a living by sitting on his Harris playing with his phone, whereas you had to “work”.

Ah but editing and producing video is much the same as sitting on your backside watching telly, though not usually done on a mobile phone.

Just ask @Laurie Booth or @WotEver how little work they do/did ...

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you upset "Tracy" by asking a sensible question that spoiled his entire rant, which was when he got his Brian mixed up with his Richard! :D

32 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Correct.  And good luck to him, I wish I could of done that instead of crawling around plumbing in filthy houses or standing for hours machining  in mystic  soaked overalls.

We don't need another one, by the way, one is enough, you can stand down.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Correct.  And good luck to him, I wish I could of done that instead of crawling around plumbing in filthy houses or standing for hours machining  in mystic  soaked overalls.

You seem to have a line that you draw between what you consider to be “work”, and what you consider to be “not work”. I wonder where that is?

While you were plumbing and machining, all those years ago, there were plenty of people earning money doing things that could be compared to the You-Tubing of today.

and so on...... :) 

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ah but editing and producing video is much the same as sitting on your backside watching telly, though not usually done on a mobile phone

It's called "technology"

Over thirty years ago, I worked at the BBC - even the solid state camera's needed a good eight hours notice to produce a stable broadcast quality image.

A friend of mine makes a comfortable living producing videos of wildlife in warm clear waters diving around the world for UK TV Companies. He remarked that 15 years ago he would have had a massive TV crew and crates of camera equipment to shoot and edit what we now call "normal" (Standard Definition).

Five years ago he and his girlfriend flew out with 2 HD movie cameras (Canon), underwater housings (Ikelite) and an editing suite (Sony laptop). In their hand luggage.

He's reasonably confident that when he's allowed to fly again for work his camera / editing suite will be a high end phone and a waterproof housing. He may take two for resilience.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ah but editing and producing video is much the same as sitting on your backside watching telly, though not usually done on a mobile phone.

:D

Always a difficult to work out what is work. I have been very lucky to have enjoyed my "work" so I have been paid to enjoy myself. In effect I have not worked. I am still enjoying my work :)

Below a film I made when I was 13. I wrote, edited and photographed. Little did I know then it would end up on YouTube :)

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Over thirty years ago, I worked at the BBC - 

Me too! Post production in TV Centre from 1989 then moved to the Open University Production Centre. Had to stop when I had kids due to lack of childcare/both of us having to work away etc. Absolutely best job in the world and wish I had been able to carry on. One of the last cohorts to go through the full BBC Engineering ITA training and Q courses at Wood Norton. Happy days, sadly missed ?

10 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Me too! Post production in TV Centre from 1989 then moved to the Open University Production Centre. Had to stop when I had kids due to lack of childcare/both of us having to work away etc. Absolutely best job in the world and wish I had been able to carry on. One of the last cohorts to go through the full BBC Engineering ITA training and Q courses at Wood Norton. Happy days, sadly missed ?

BBC Manchester on Oxford Road but remember Wood Norton.

Most memorable moment was probably in 1983(?) when the first Solid State broadcast quality colour camera arrived and all the "senior" engineers stood around scratching their heads and going "well that can't be any good - it' too small!" We had to make a special adaptor to mount it on a standard camera dolly

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was asking the difference between making a TV program and making a youtube.

I work in tv, massive differences. Tv has H&S, regulation, accountability, fact checking, providence, legal responsibility. I wish we could make programmes as easy without all the hoops we have to jump through. Just think of how many hours we spend making sure no logos appear on screen as we don’t want to be seen promoting a brand or worse get sued for using a brand without permission. 

Just now, 1st ade said:

BBC Manchester on Oxford Road but remember Wood Norton.

Most memorable moment was probably in 1983(?) when the first Solid State broadcast quality colour camera arrived and all the "senior" engineers stood around scratching their heads and going "well that can't be any good - it' too small!" We had to make a special adaptor to mount it on a standard camera dolly

Excellent! Technology changed rapidly during my short time: from editing 2" tape with no images except in pause/rewind/FF to being the person to press play on the first ever digital transmission (an EastEnders trailer just before the 6pm news). 

1 minute ago, big d said:

I work in tv, massive differences. Tv has H&S, regulation, accountability, fact checking, providence, legal responsibility. I wish we could make programmes as easy without all the hoops we have to jump through. Just think of how many hours we spend making sure no logos appear on screen as we don’t want to be seen promoting a brand or worse get sued for using a brand without permission. 

Absolutely - every image/sound/person that appeared or was heard had to be covered by a contract in my day and I'm sure it's the same now.

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

Excellent! Technology changed rapidly during my short time: from editing 2" tape with no images except in pause/rewind/FF to being the person to press play on the first ever digital transmission (an EastEnders trailer just before the 6pm news). 

Digital transmission was a game changer but for two different reasons and you couldn't (then) do them both at the same time!

• Producer - wow, we've got this really good new system which lets us stretch, skew, flip and tumble one picture over another
  • Engineers - wow, we've got this really good new system where we can use an OB (Outside Broadcast) feed without having to make sure it's synchronised with the studio first!

There is a rumour that BBC Manchester's first (and, at the time, only) video recorder (2" Ampex) was in a truck so it could be taken off site. When played back at the studio it was still in the truck but remote controlled from the vision desk. One night there was a fire nearby and the news crew took off to cover it... without unplugging the video recorder...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

As little as possible... ;)

On a more serious note I’ll point out that Sundays aren’t any more special than Mondays and while you might get Christmas Day off (and you might not) you’ll still work Christmas Eve and Boxing Day if they fall within your shift pattern. A 72 hour week wasn’t unusual and no, I wasn’t on double-double-double time for that, I was on a fixed contract. I’m quite sure I could have earned a lot more for a lot less hours if I’d chosen plumbing as a profession. 

49 minutes ago, 1st ade said:
  • Producer - wow, we've got this really good new system which lets us stretch, skew, flip and tumble one picture over another
  • Engineers - wow, we've got this really good new system where we can use an OB (Outside Broadcast) feed without having to make sure it's synchronised with the studio first!
  • Editor - No, we can’t cut on this frame. We can cut two frames earlier, or one frame later, but not this exact frame. 
  • Director - But I want to cut on THIS frame! Cutting one frame later will ruin the pace!
  • Editor - Okay... so one frame later or two frames sooner? Your choice... 
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is one who is always saying how good Victron is, He will even give you a code for a bit of discount.

If this is jono, his stuff is quite technical, and he does do some paid work for Victron, now, but there is no doubt the  Victron stuff is good. I am not sure if the discount code is still viable.There is quite a lot of work put in to some of these blogs, and I watch plenty of them, free. 

In fact Jono is pretty keen on lithium, so much technical info that I knew I would never have them!

I don't think folks should complain, just don't subscribe or give a thumbs up, no one is forced to watch them.

Don't sit in front of a screen complaining, go out and do something useful with your life. 

Edited by LadyG

The earlier Whilton comments. Here is another view (and yes I am a new boater so take it with a pinch of salt). We also looked at their own commissioned surveys. Many of them pointed out quite serious flaws with hull thickness, and some by the same surveyor did not (one of which is for our current boat). The survey that Whilton had paid for, we bought off the surveyor, with a transfer of liability. My understanding of Whilton is that they, unlike Rugby, will sell boats of almost all conditions. Some will be good, others now. We went in with that mindset.

Edited by Thomas C King

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If this is jono, his stuff is quite technical, and he does do some paid work for Victron, now, but there is no doubt the  Victron stuff is good. I am not sure if the discount code is still viable.There is quite a lot of work put in to some of these blogs, and I watch plenty of them, free. 

In fact Jono is pretty keen on lithium, so much technical info that I knew I would never have them!

I don't think folks should complain, just don't subscribe or give a thumbs up, no one is forced to watch them.

Don't sit in front of a screen complaining, go out and do something useful with your life. 

"...A year and a half later and I work full time for Victron Energy as a Video Producer. I have stopped filming for the YouTube channel Journey with Jono and Molly and I no longer live afloat."

That's from the Victron website, so it seems his Vlogging led to a "proper" job :D

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

"...A year and a half later and I work full time for Victron Energy as a Video Producer. I have stopped filming for the YouTube channel Journey with Jono and Molly and I no longer live afloat."

Oh wow. I guess he never did finish the boat. Last I saw of him was on one of the narrowboatexperience's lockdown videos.