Hearth size, BS and BSS

cairanvanrooyen

Featured Posts

My boat was built in 2002, it had an old Morso, which was knackered and we are completely refitting the interior, including a new Morso and flue.

BS 8511:2010 has a requirement for a substantial hearth, where it needs to project at least 225mm in front of the stove, which is far too much for our NB.

So...

Question 1 - do we strictly need to comply with BS8511:2010 for installing a new stove in our old NB, which had a stove fitted previously, which did not comply with aforementioned BS?

Question 2 - if we install a smaller hearth will this affect the BSS? (I cannot see from the "BSS Examination Checking Procedures for Privately Owned and Managed Vessels" document, where this would be a problem.

Question 3 - we are proposing to have a single skin solid steel flue installed, as the existing, is this a problem?

Question 4 - to suit existing penetrations, we are installing a 5" flue, instead of 6" (outlet size on the Morso)

No to all 4.

As for 2 specifically, as far as I'm aware it's just common sense.  The examiner wants to be sure that it's safe, simply to stop your boat catching fire.

When I say no to all 4 I mean, that all 4 are no problem.

10 minutes ago, cairanvanrooyen said:

My boat was built in 2002, it had an old Morso, which was knackered and we are completely refitting the interior, including a new Morso and flue.

BS 8511:2010 has a requirement for a substantial hearth, where it needs to project at least 225mm in front of the stove, which is far too much for our NB.

So...

Question 1 - do we strictly need to comply with BS8511:2010 for installing a new stove in our old NB, which had a stove fitted previously, which did not comply with aforementioned BS?

Question 2 - if we install a smaller hearth will this affect the BSS? (I cannot see from the "BSS Examination Checking Procedures for Privately Owned and Managed Vessels" document, where this would be a problem.

Question 3 - we are proposing to have a single skin solid steel flue installed, as the existing, is this a problem?

Question 4 - to suit existing penetrations, we are installing a 5" flue, instead of 6" (outlet size on the Morso)

I have just had a BSS. The Morso does not have an extended hearth. This may not be the case with newly fitted stoves. I would suggest you make (extend) the hearth floor-level and no higher than existing floor levels, but of a fire resistant material. It is obviously a tripping hazard, if it is too pronounced. It depends a lot on the fire's orientation in the space of a saloon, or whatever. 

Edited by Higgs