Spare engine keys

RickS

Featured Posts

That's interesting Ray T, your control panel looks remarkably similar to mine, but the key is, as you say, completely different. Mine is single-sided, as it were, and yours is double-sided - no idea what's going on there ?

Not opposed to leaving key in the lock in principle LadyG, but just at present i am not there most of the time, so the one i have i normally leave with the marina - had to take it home with me this time so they don't have one to start the engine - going there tomorrow to return it, amongst other tasks

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I'm intrigued... what does "Electrical Switch Type: Air Pressure" mean?

52 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

the one i have i normally leave with the marina - had to take it home with me this time so they don't have one to start the engine...

betcha they do ;)

Just now, Rick Savery said:

Interesting, filed away for future reference, thanks

So if you go home but you haven't tightened your weed hatch for some reason and they drive your boat, or you have removed the oil pressure sender to buy a new one.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So if you go home but you haven't tightened your weed hatch for some reason and they drive your boat, or you have removed the oil pressure sender to buy a new one.

I  just make and hang a notice I hang on the dashboard near the ignition key hole:  Please do not start engine  for whatever reason is appropriate.

It is a reminder to me too.

Edited by Ray T

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Six of one and a half dozen of the other really - if I accidentally leave a side hatch unbolted the marina guys can't secure it for me without a key for the padlock on the back; if water builds up due to a failed bilge pump they can't get in to address it without a key.

But mainly my marina have keys to my boat so that they can let in tradesmen who I have asked to do work, or they can move the boat for blacking in my absence. That's really useful to me as I live around three hours travel away.

Edited by peter n

5 minutes ago, peter n said:

Six of one and a half dozen of the other really - if I accidentally leave a side hatch unbolted the marina guys can't secure it for me without a key for the padlock on the back; if water builds up due to a failed bilge pump they can't get in to address it without a key.

But mainly my marina have keys to my boat so that they can let in tradesmen who I have asked to do work, or they can move the boat for blacking in my absence. That's really useful to me as I live around three hours travel away.

or to allow you to go boating when you arrive and realise you left the boat keys on the kitchen table.

• Greenie 1

In my case it is so the marina people can look at my engine as it is in need of work at the moment. I can't comment on other reasons as I have no experience of them - I suppose it's a balance of trust and convenience, at least for the present

3 hours ago, Rick Savery said:

In my case it is so the marina people can look at my engine as it is in need of work at the moment. I can't comment on other reasons as I have no experience of them - I suppose it's a balance of trust and convenience, at least for the present

It was a condition of mooring that they have a set of keys.

Thanks Chris-B and Steve56 - excellent suggestions - I think Marine Engine Services will sort me out though.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments - I learn so much every time I ask a question - and read other people's questions - really useful stuff -  I like the notice on engine about not driving it, consequences of that little error could be huge!

It's optional whether we leave keys with the marina.

They don't have a set for my present boat.

I live close to the marina so accidentally  leaving the keys at home wouldn't be an issue . For the BSS surveyor I left the door key hidden  in a place were he could find it. Otherwise I do service work DIY so don't have a general need to leave keys with the marina.