Fun and games at Somerton Deep lock

Rob-M

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I’ll explain myself.

My boat has beam of just 6’ 8” I have solid rubber fenders. I haven’t measured them but I guess they are no more than 1.5”. Three inches in total. Add that to the width of the boat and that is approximately 6’11”. There are a small number of locks on the network where I am aware I ought to lift the fenders. But to be honest I can’t be arsed the majority of the time.

To call me a numpty or such is a bit disrespectful to me. But you’re entitled to do so if you wish. 

Is that question to me?

Have you ever found a occasion where said fender was in the correct place when the wind blew you off course and onto the stonework of the lock enhance, I have never seen one in the correct place but have seen several torn off.

2 minutes ago, Detling said:

Have you ever found a occasion where said fender was in the correct place when the wind blew you off course and onto the stonework of the lock enhance, I have never seen one in the correct place but have seen several torn off.

No, never in the correct place. Never lost a fender coz it wasn’t secured properly.

1 minute ago, Rambling Boater said:

I saw two boats wedged together in a lock on the K&A by their fenders. If it wasn't for the universal language to shut the paddles, they might still be hanging there.

Now imagine what would have happened if they were going up.

That’s unfortunate to say the least.

I shall repeat myself for those that didn’t read my earlier post.

“My boat has beam of just 6’ 8” I have solid rubber fenders. I haven’t measured them but I guess they are no more than 1.5”. Three inches in total. Add that to the width of the boat and that is approximately 6’11”. There are a small number of locks on the network where I am aware I ought to lift the fenders. But to be honest I can’t be arsed the majority of the time.”

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

That’s unfortunate to say the least.

I shall repeat myself for those that didn’t read my earlier post.

“My boat has beam of just 6’ 8” I have solid rubber fenders. I haven’t measured them but I guess they are no more than 1.5”. Three inches in total. Add that to the width of the boat and that is approximately 6’11”. There are a small number of locks on the network where I am aware I ought to lift the fenders. But to be honest I can’t be arsed the majority of the time.”

Have you got a GRP/wooden cruiser? 

Just wondering if you feel your boat is more vulnerable than a narrow boat? 

I had a GRP boat before my narrow boat and can relate to that although I used to prefer to wait until I could have the lock to myself. 

5 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Have you got a GRP/wooden cruiser? 

Just wondering if you feel your boat is more vulnerable than a narrow boat? 

I had a GRP boat before my narrow boat and can relate to that although I used to prefer to wait until I could have the lock to myself. 

Nope. Steel Narrow Boat. Had it 15 years now.

Given your boat is over 4 inches narrower than ours  was built to over 80 years ago, you should never wedge even with fenders down.

I have never been beaten by a current lock, and never had to get assistance ( to date),  though i have had to ask volunteers not to get involved when we have stuck.

So I can say I have passed a seven foot and a half inch boat through Hurleston and Wilmcote locks in the last 10 years, so they are at least that. 
However our boat is only 57’ and many lockside are not parallel through 70’.

Dont know if that helps answer your question.

You also of course have a perfect right to lock with your fenders down. Its your choice, in the same way I have the right to take my boat designed for the grand union down canals designed for horse boats. At my peril.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Fair enough. Out of curiosity why do you feel the need to use fenders in a lock? Have you got rubbing strakes? 

Me personally, no. The boat has plenty.
I don’t necessarily feel the need to use fenders in locks. I don’t always use fenders in locks, certainly not 100% of the time. But I do feel the need to sometimes take issue with people who are very opinionated about other people’s actions with disregard to their potential feelings.

In the main, because I can, I leave the blooming things down as, on the whole, I just don’t give a dam. Life’s too short etc. 

5 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

and some people cause unnecessary work for others, delays and potential sinking of boats.  

One such, descending a lock on the Southern Oxford had to rise again to get the fenders up, so add waste of water to that.

On 31/08/2020 at 12:44, Rambling Boater said:

I never could understand why people do this in locks. It's a safety hazard and I've seen a boat jam in a lock because of them (never mind removing the flippin' things from my prop). 

PLEASE DON'T DO IT!

If people realised the damage that can be caused by the metal washer at the base of the rubber tube style ones they wouldn't leave them down.

• Haha 1

We once had an "interesting" experience in one of the Caen Hill locks which we were sharing with a boat carrying fenders, as they pulled out of the lock we jammed solid, and it took nearly an hour to free the boats, in the process the other boat lost four of its fenders to the knives and saw. After that experience, if we were about to share a lock, with a boat dangling fenders down the side and I knew the lock was was a bit tight, I would always ask the other boat to lift the fenders, as our boat was 7ft wide. Once I had explained my reasoning people were usually obliging. If they refused to lift the fenders, I would leave them to operate the lock on their own, or with a following boat.

16 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

We once had an "interesting" experience in one of the Caen Hill locks which we were sharing with a boat carrying fenders, as they pulled out of the lock we jammed solid, and it took nearly an hour to free the boats, in the process the other boat lost four of its fenders to the knives and saw. After that experience, if we were about to share a lock, with a boat dangling fenders down the side and I knew the lock was was a bit tight, I would always ask the other boat to lift the fenders, as our boat was 7ft wide. Once I had explained my reasoning people were usually obliging. If they refused to lift the fenders, I would leave them to operate the lock on their own, or with a following boat.

We shared Bath Deep Lock with a cruise that declined to take in it's fenders despite being asked to, they only did it once ?

427 Kennet & Avon Bath Locks 14th July 2019.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis

We came up through Somerton Deep first thing this morning and struggled, although we knew that another boat had gone through no long before. We had several attempts, pushing hard against bottom gate balance beam. We eventually made it on the fifth attempt.

Later, at Grant's Lock (the one with the burnt out house) had been reported to us by another boater as also being a problem and, sure enough, we only made it into the lock very slowly and with a lot of welly. (Don't recall it as an issue going down a couple weeks earlier)

We moored for lunch just above the lock and before we left we spotted a couple of CaRT personnel at the lock.  See http://nbalchemy.blogspot.com/ and today's entry for a fuller account.

They were a very friendly and chatty pair as they worked to try to shift the silt. They very much gave the impression of a team trying very hard to do their best to keep the canal going but with difficulties during lockdown. In response to a comment about the rampant vegetation further down, one said that nature was reclaiming its territory! Too true.

33 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

We came up through Somerton Deep first thing this morning and struggled, although we knew that another boat had gone through no long before. We had several attempts, pushing hard against bottom gate balance beam. We eventually made it on the fifth attempt.

Later, at Grant's Lock (the one with the burnt out house) had been reported to us by another boater as also being a problem and, sure enough, we only made it into the lock very slowly and with a lot of welly. (Don't recall it as an issue going down a couple weeks earlier)

We moored for lunch just above the lock and before we left we spotted a couple of CaRT personnel at the lock.  See http://nbalchemy.blogspot.com/ and today's entry for a fuller account.

They were a very friendly and chatty pair as they worked to try to shift the silt. They very much gave the impression of a team trying very hard to do their best to keep the canal going but with difficulties during lockdown. In response to a comment about the rampant vegetation further down, one said that nature was reclaiming its territory! Too true.

We have been quite surprised at the state of the Oxford given the number of boats moving. Very limited mooring, very hard locks and quite shallow in places. Not sure we will be returning to the southern section any time soon.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

We have been quite surprised at the state of the Oxford given the number of boats moving. Very limited mooring, very hard locks and quite shallow in places. Not sure we will be returning to the southern section any time soon.

Where are you tonight? We are at Aynho, been intut pub for some dinna and beer ?

Thank God the damned cheap food has ended as there was no problem getting in.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Where are you tonight? We are at Aynho, been intut pub for some dinna and beer ?

Thank God the damned cheap food has ended as there was no problem getting in.

We are back at The Folly, had another meal there.

• Greenie 1

On 31/08/2020 at 13:15, IanD said:

Boat with fenders down jammed in the lower Foxton flight in front of us the week before last, wasn't even an old boat with a wider hull. Lockies managed to free it by cutting the fender ropes and then rocking the boat. Embarrassing for the liveaboard owners...

You would think that the lock keeper at top and bottom would instruct boaters to lift fenders before they enter the flight.

25 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

You would think that the lock keeper at top and bottom would instruct boaters to lift fenders before they enter the flight.

methinks they're disenclined, for fear of getting a mouthful

Any boater with any real experience / knowledge wouldn't use narrow locks with fenders down.

There are an ever increasing number of people (boaty or not)  around  spouting 'I know what I'm doing' when (obviously) they do not.

Perhaps I'm getting old..

Time to change the logo again.

• Greenie 1