Most ambitious plants?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

Does anyone grow or is thinking of growing a plant that seems difficult on a boat? Which plants do you think would push the boat out a fair bit, but still be possible to grow and maintain?

I've been wondering this recently, since seeing a small pear tree, on land, but fruiting. It almost seemed small enough to fit the bow of the boat. Anyone tried growing fruit trees, and what would you think is most feasible?

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a good person to answer this question, as I possess yellow fingers, rather than green ones. I can just about keep spider plants alive. I have  however noticed on my boating travels that the successful boat gardeners get the most prolific growth by rooting their plants in the boats fenders. Being able to pluck and eat fruit as you steer suggests the stern fender as being the ideal place to plant your tree.

Jen ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I am not a good person to answer this question, as I possess yellow fingers, rather than green ones. I can just about keep spider plants alive. I have  however noticed on my boating travels that the successful boat gardeners get the most prolific growth by rooting their plants in the boats fenders. Being able to pluck and eat fruit as you steer suggests the stern fender as being the ideal place to plant your tree.

Jen ?

Also widely used by the 'weirdo's' who like a bit of nettle-tea.

On 30/08/2020 at 14:37, Thomas C King said:

Does anyone grow or is thinking of growing a plant that seems difficult on a boat? Which plants do you think would push the boat out a fair bit, but still be possible to grow and maintain?

I've been wondering this recently, since seeing a small pear tree, on land, but fruiting. It almost seemed small enough to fit the bow of the boat. Anyone tried growing fruit trees, and what would you think is most feasible?

There are a fair variety of dwarf type fruit trees, how successful they would be I don't know, I would imagine they would only be kept small enough for the very limited space for a few years but you could pass it onto a land based person and buy a new one

https://www.jparkers.co.uk/fruits-vegetables/fruit-trees/patio-dwarf-fruit-trees

• 3 weeks later...