NB Dunwuryin

viking

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Well, I finally saw the boat for the first time yesterday, she is being built in Stoke on Trent (Stoke on Trent Boatbuilding) and I live about 160 miles away so visits are not going to be that frequent but I do at last have some pictures to show you. They are only of half a shell, but at least I have seen it at last!

In case you don't know I will fill you in with a few details. I ordered the boat 2 years ago, and have been waiting for something to show for it ever since (the boat builder wasn't 2 years late btw, I just ordered it well in advance of when I actually asked for it to be built). She is going to be a 57 foot cruiser stern with a BETA 38 greenline and double silencer. Rather than try to describe it all for you I will include a scan of the plans along with the pics of the steelwork.

The steel is 10/6/4 spec, the eventual colour scheme is going to be Classic Green with a Cream Coach line and roof.

She will have an extending cross bed, Vetus macerator toilet, Mikuni heating, a Morso stove and electric bow prop. A flat rear deck with a hard wood taff rail , Sterling 1.5kw inverter 240v circuit, with shore line and galvanic isolator, 90ah starter battery, 660ah domestic and a bow prop battery all rounded off with a Beta alternator controller.

Our next visit is on April 2nd which should see the shell substantially complete ready for spray foaming on the 4th. We are going back again on the 9th which hopefully should see a start to the lining out. More pictures to follow then.

Projected completion date is early June after which we use our summer holiday to move her down to her home moorings on the K+A near Reading. Cant wait!!

PLANS

plans.jpg

PICS

CopyofDunworyinShell014.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell009.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell005.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell001.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell008.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell012.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell007.jpg

CopyofDunworyinShell004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I went for another couple of visits during the last week and progress seems to be quite good. The shell is finished and has been spray foamed, the ballast is in and the floor is in position (although not fully screwed down yet), and the first bulkhead is ready for fitting (you can just see it in pic 3)

I have included another couple of pictures. Quality is not too good for several reasons, I am not much of a photographer, I have a cheap camera, and since it is being built indoors all the shots require flash, which doesn't give you the greatest field depth. It also means I cant get far enough away to take an overall shot. Anyway it will give you an idea as to what is happening.

In accordance with the standard BMF contract I now own a steel shell, and my bank account is correspondingly lighter!!

Next visit is in a couple of weeks time so I shall update you again then.

DunwuryinShell2005.jpg

DunwuryinShell2014.jpg

DunwuryinShell2019.jpg

DunwuryinShell2006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just got back from another visit to the boat and I must say that for the first time I was disappointed. Nothing wrong with the construction itself, it is just that not an awful lot seems to have happened in the 2 weeks since the last visit.

Some progress has been made, the hull has been blacked and undercoated, the deck boards have been fitted, the interior hull sides below gunwale level have been lined and the bathroom bulkheads have been made and temporarily fixed in place. It is just that it doesn't seem such a lot for two weeks especially compared with how fast the shell seems to have been made.

The explanation given is that they have been constructing the interior furniture in their joinery shop. I am sure this is so, though I would have thought that whilst that was being done someone else would have started on the electrics, or plumbing or engine installation.

Anyway I have a few photos to show although they are again not too good, this time because the whole thing has been moved outside and covered with plastic sheeting to weather proof it ( it still has no windows). I didn't fancy undoing it all and then recovering it so only the base of the hull is visible.

Back up in two weeks for a couple of visits so I hope to have more progress to report then.

HULL SHOTS

Visit4April010.jpg

Visit4April009copy.jpg

Visit4April008copy.jpg

Visit4April007copy.jpg

DECK BOARDS

Visit4April005copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just back again from the latest visit and what a difference a fortnight makes. Last time I told you I was a little disappointed as I did not think much progress had been made. This time could not be more different, the work seems to have progressed rapidly and I was more than pleased with the results.

Since our last visit, the lining out has been almost completed (t+g) the wiring harness is in place, the water and gas lines have been fitted, the pump out tank is in place, the galley unit has been fitted, and most important of all, it has a bow prop and an engine!!

That was on the Saturday, when we came back again on Monday to discuss the finer points of paint schemes it had a dinette fitted as well. By the time I write this it could well be back inside for painting.

As usual I have a few photos to share with you. I had the same problems photographically as last time, ie. the boat is covered up with a tarpaulin and I didn't want to remove it as this time not only was it blowing a gale it was lashing with rain as well! Consequently all photos had to be taken with flash and then touched up a bit later on. The latter black art is not my strong suit, however I am sure you will see enough to get an idea of what is going on.

Next visit is in two weeks time so a further report then. In the meantime I have applied for a licence and insurance (that was a quick way to get rid of nearly a thousand quid!!) so it really does seem to be happening now. If I haven't heard from him soon I must get in touch with the chap who has promised me a mooring and see if I can get rid of some more money - I thought hiring was expensive!!!.

Looking rearwards from front of boat

Visit5May19.jpg

Front of galley unit

Visit5May11.jpg

Bow prop unit

Visit5May18.jpg

Engine

Visit5May01.jpg

Fuel lines and filter

Visit5May04.jpg

Gearbox and Aquadrive

Visit5May02.jpg

On second thoughts, how about this.

In Internet explorer click Tools then Internet Options then click on Security tab.

Click on Trusted Sites then Sites and add www.photobucket.com

Click Ok and see how you go.

It just struck me that you might have security options enabled that prevent images displaying from the particular site where they are hosted.

If it doesn't work or you are unhappy with it you can always go back and undo it.

Cheers,

On second thoughts, how about this.

In Internet explorer click Tools then Internet Options then click on Security tab.

Click on Trusted Sites then Sites and add www.photobucket.com

Click Ok and see how you go.

It just struck me that you might have security options enabled that prevent images displaying from the particular site where they are hosted.

If it doesn't work or you are unhappy with it you can always go back and undo it.

Cheers,

tried it without success. I don't usually have this problem, but it's a company computer - who knows?

anyway, sorry to have hijacked this thread, and the Administrator may choose to dump all this correspondence. :D

don't usually have this problem, but it's a company computer

sorry to have hijacked this thread, and the Administrator may choose to dump all this.

If my image works, its to do with photobucket, becuase mine is done exactly that same way, i would say that is possable you company have blocked photobucket, but if you see the images when you click on the direct links... who knows?

Daniel

Well I am surprised, we've all been looking at Viking's splendid photo's and only one of us spotted the deliberate mistake. (and that wasn't me)

Look at the the one titled 'Fuel lines and filter', see anything wrong or at least that could be wrong.?