ALDI: tabletop fridge

LadyG

Featured Posts

ALDI:   Ambiano 17 l tabletop fridge .... 50 watts, under £60,

Would this do for winter, I have to keep chilled food etc in a fridge. Can I run it off my Victron 375 watts just by using some twin and earth, [initially my extension cable ?]

My big fridge with icebox uses 50ah, it's to be replaced, sometime ......

tx

?

I su

Looking at the price it looks like a Peltier  device but looking at the data I can't be 100% sure. I note it only gives an instantaneous consumption rather than an annual one. 50 watts via an inverter is about 5 amps at 12V so if it is Peltier it is likely to draw power for longer than a compressor fridge but is unlikely to demand a starting surge so you should be OK on the inverter, I am not so sure your batteries/charging will be up to it (I know what you said in another thread about this).  If it really is  a compressor unit then I doubt your inverter will start it so probably no good for you. You need to take a look and see if it has a compressor.

Edited by Tony Brooks

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

From the interior picture here, there doesn't look to be any room for a compressor. Almost certainly a peltier effect fridge, so very greedy for power.

Jen

Yes, you can see the blown cold air outlet at the back. So the inverter will run it but the batteries may die fairly fast.

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

From the interior picture here, there doesn't look to be any room for a compressor. Almost certainly a peltier effect fridge, so very greedy for power.

Jen

So the visible peltier fan unit wasn't a hint then? :D

17L-Black-Table-Top-Fridge-B.jpg?o=RR51W

You'd actually be better off with a rigid coolbox with the works in the lid if going the cheap peltier route, as at least they don't lose all the cold air when you open them.

23 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A+ rated.  And will freeze down to -15c or something . Didn't thing Peltier fridges would freeze, thought they were just coolers.

I think you may have misread that bit.

Temperature Range:

5-15°C

Ice Making Facility:

No

• Happy 1

I would buy a good quality cooler, auto type for winter, but [weep] I don't have a socket of the style found in cars, and [weep], the galley is in centre of boat, and , I dare not attempt anything ,electrical other tban replacing like for like,.

I do have dc wire left by electrician #6 which was too ligbt for a new Coolmatic. but it is not connected at eitber end to anything!

I want all opened foods to be chilled and in a sealed compartment. protected from vermin!

I envisage a call to electrician #7 when I start on my return journey back North.

There is room at ' engine 'room' for a redesign and a cooler, that will  ot happen untill 2022.... [Year3]

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would buy a good quality cooler, auto type for winter, but [weep] I don't have a socket of the style found in cars...

Don’t weep. They’re singularly unsuited for powering a high current device. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Don’t weep. They’re singularly unsuited for powering a high current device. 

but nearly all coolers have them, once you go to compressor cooler boxes, you are at £350 and still a compromise on a Dometic fridge under counter..

The Queen never has these problems ...............

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

but nearly all coolers have them, once you go to compressor cooler boxes, you are at £350 and still a compromise on a Dometic fridge under counter..

The Queen never has these problems ...............

Her Maj: gave up her boat -err - ship

• Happy 1

I recently looked for a bottle fridge, one to hold about 12 wine and juice bottles.  Those around the £90 mark were all peltier type.  I did get a compressor one for £150 which works well and keeps the bottles at 6 degrees.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, dor said:

I recently looked for a bottle fridge, one to hold about 12 wine and juice bottles.  Those around the £90 mark were all peltier type.  I did get a compressor one for £150 which works well and keeps the bottles at 6 degrees.

Well, can I have one please?

Linkhere"

My Waeco peltier packed up despite keeping the fan clear of dust and cobwebs etc. so I found a metal box which I have on the front deck and keep cheese , milk etc in it and in winter it uses no leccy.  Last week I approached a fridge recycling company to see if they would sell me a de-gassed fridge for use as a winter fridge (using the cold air outside to keep it cold by drilling holes through the back and putting rodent proof mesh over the back) but they told me " We are not allowed to sell de-gassed fridges" which seems a bit crazy. In the old days many houses had no fridges, just a larder but I suppose that is now only for Luddites !

On 30/08/2020 at 12:20, LadyG said:

I would buy a good quality cooler, auto type for winter, but [weep] I don't have a socket of the style found in cars, and [weep], the galley is in centre of boat, and , I dare not attempt anything ,electrical other tban replacing like for like,.

I do have dc wire left by electrician #6 which was too ligbt for a new Coolmatic. but it is not connected at eitber end to anything!

I want all opened foods to be chilled and in a sealed compartment. protected from vermin!

I envisage a call to electrician #7 when I start on my return journey back North.

There is room at ' engine 'room' for a redesign and a cooler, that will  ot happen untill 2022.... [Year3]

You can get a power pack from camping shops or Amazon that plug into the mains and has a car socket output, been using my CampingGaz electric coolbox all week with a CampingGaz one.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-c203442-AC-DC-Transformer/dp/B00159RAT4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2FOYWUR553A8J&dchild=1&keywords=camping+gaz+transformer&qid=1598895981&sprefix=camping+gaz+trans%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-1