Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
johnmck

Anyone else got heating on?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

And who else

Well if somebody wants to watch over the outside of my house for me, good on them.

 

I do understand the point you are rather feebly trying to make but your concern is not mine.

 

OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chief officer just had the Eberspacher  heater on - I am  boiled .

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight, it's the turn of the Webasto. Toasty, hot water, but a bit of a battery drain.

We find that whilst the Refleks warms the boat wonderfully, it makes for a very arid atmosphere. 

But, we don't do cold, so needs must.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

Does anybody use nest or hive thermostat at home? 

Want to buy one but not sure which one, and whether I should fit it myself.

Yup, got a Hive. I fitted it myself - it took about 10 minutes from start to finish. If you already have a modern time controller for heating and hot water it’s dead simple - you unclip it and replace it with the Hive main unit. The Hive hub then goes somewhere near your modem and of course the thermostat/controller goes wherever you want it (batteries last a year or two).
 

If you don’t currently have a combined hot water/heating programmable unit then I’m unsure how it could be fitted. If you have one but it’s an old one then you have to also change the backplate for the Hive unit to fit. 
 

Once installed it’s simplicity itself to use. I don’t use it for lamps etc because I use Sonoff / eWeLink for that. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And who else

I agree with you, I wouldn't have one as it is well reported how easy it is to purchase the information and therefore knowing when properties are unoccupied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I agree with you, I wouldn't have one as it is well reported how easy it is to purchase the information and therefore knowing when properties are unoccupied.

How would you know a property is unoccupied by looking at some external cameras?  This sounds like more of the usual Internet scaremongering to me, often spread about by those who don’t have the technology themselves as an excuse not to invest in it. I can’t tell when my neighbours are on holiday by looking at their drive so I don’t know how someone looking at a camera feed is supposed to tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

How would you know a property is unoccupied by looking at some external cameras?  This sounds like more of the usual Internet scaremongering to me, often spread about by those who don’t have the technology themselves as an excuse not to invest in it. I can’t tell when my neighbours are on holiday by looking at their drive so I don’t know how someone looking at a camera feed is supposed to tell. 

The Ring app provides lots of information about the whereabouts of the device. There was lots of testing done and reported on The Register earlier in the year over concerns of the security of Ring devices. In the US the app was sending data to the police in one state linked to the Ring doorbell usage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The Ring app provides lots of information about the whereabouts of the device

Assuming the ‘device’ is the camera then it’s whereabouts are “attached to the house”. 
 

Do you have a link to this report because it makes zero sense to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Assuming the ‘device’ is the camera then it’s whereabouts are “attached to the house”. 
 

Do you have a link to this report because it makes zero sense to me. 

The device is the smart phone that has the app installed for remotely monitoring the Ring devices.  This is one of the articles about selling the data  https://www.theregister.com/2020/01/28/ring_data_sale/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The device is the smart phone that has the app installed for remotely monitoring the Ring devices.  This is one of the articles about selling the data  https://www.theregister.com/2020/01/28/ring_data_sale/

Thanks for the link. :)

 

Its somewhat sensationalist in style and I read nothing in it that would put me off installing a Ring device if I had a need or desire for that technology. 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I agree with you, I wouldn't have one as it is well reported how easy it is to purchase the information and therefore knowing when properties are unoccupied.

I would say on balance, smart external cameras give you more peace of mind... the privacy concern is justified somewhat (lots of unsecured indoor cameras, which are worse)

most criminals that will target normal public(not high net worth individuals) are not that smart or known to make elaborate planning. (most are opportunists)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Thanks for the link. :)

 

Its somewhat sensationalist in style and I read nothing in it that would put me off installing a Ring device if I had a need or desire for that technology. 

Ditto.

 

Anybody remotely concerned about privacy should not even consider a modern smartphone or in fact something as outwardly as 'innocent' as a store loyalty or points card.

 

 

 

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the 'sense of security' thing fitting an Internet-connected external camera system, but what do you do if you do actually see someone trying to force entry? I can imagine that the crime would be gone before th police arrive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

most criminals that will target normal public(not high net worth individuals) are not that smart or known to make elaborate planning. (most are opportunists)

Spot on. I'm sure that Simon Cowell relies on a bit more than a Ring doorbell but us mere mortals should spend more time ensuring we've remembered to close the kitchen window when we go out.

1 minute ago, Col_T said:

I understand the 'sense of security' thing fitting an Internet-connected external camera system, but what do you do if you do actually see someone trying to force entry? I can imagine that the crime would be gone before th police arrive?

But at least you have them on camera, and you can call out to them via the doorbell that you've seen them. It gives the police a bit more to go on than simply attending a ransacked house some hours or days later, and it might frighten the opportunist into scarpering quickly.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ditto.

 

Anybody remotely concerned about privacy should not even consider a modern smartphone or in fact something as outwardly as 'innocent' as a store loyalty or points card.

 

 

 

Yes, I've been involved in a couple of projects with data mining from store cards, credit cards and apps such as Facebook and Twitter. It is interesting how much information can be gathered on an individual based on their shopping habits and the things they post and tweet about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rob-M said:

Yes, I've been involved in a couple of projects with data mining from store cards, credit cards and apps such as Facebook and Twitter. It is interesting how much information can be gathered on an individual based on their shopping habits and the things they post and tweet about.

Which will result in nothing more harmful than better-targeted ads, no?

 

If the authorities (or anyone else) are truly interested in when I go to the pub, when I go shopping, and what my favourite brand of bananas are then good luck to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Which will result in nothing more harmful than better-targeted ads, no?

When used in a legitimate way.

Being able to target customers for insurance as they have posted about buying a new house or new car or had a new baby etc.

Also looking for fraudulent behaviour in shopping patterns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

When used in a legitimate way.

Being able to target customers for insurance as they have posted about buying a new house or new car or had a new baby etc.

Also looking for fraudulent behaviour in shopping patterns.

The former is little more than mildly irritating, and the latter, good :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I can't stand advertising, at the best of times. If a page won't stop twitching with ads, I immediately leave. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

Does anybody use nest or hive thermostat at home? 

Want to buy one but not sure which one, and whether I should fit it myself.

We use a Nest thermostat and two external cameras as our house is empty most of the time. Thermostat set to 20 (adjustable remotely, as is the hot water). The cameras record either people or other movement, if you wish, then ping you on the phone with a video history. Our plumber came round yesterday, so the camera alerted me, for example. It also lets you have a two-way conversation with anyone outside. All this from 11,000km away! I got a Nest fitter to put ours in, and just as well as the existing thermostat was 'wrongly wired' and it took him a while. Cameras also installed by a fitter, as required rodding through the eves/high ladder work. Higher cost, but worked for two years, only stopping with power cuts but instantly up with power resumption. Edited to say we might not use Nest if we  actually spent more time in it! 

Edited by ANJ64
additional comment.
  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I can't stand advertising, at the best of times. If a page won't stop twitching with ads, I immediately leave. 

Install AdBlock :)

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.