New record queue for locks?

IanD

Featured Posts

Just got back from a fortnight doing the Leicester Ring, and I think we might have set a new record on August 20th at Hillmorton. We got there about noon to find we were 18th in the queue, got into the locks at 4pm and out at 5pm (1 hour to ascend 3 piddling locks!) by which time there were 25 boats behind us -- half of the the paired locks were closed and one of the open ones had only one paddle working ?

Unless anyone knows better...

hillmorton.jpg

• Horror 1

We went up Hillmorton on the afternoon of the 24th, we were 2nd in a queue of 2. Still took a while though with one side of each pair of locks closed. Apparently the middle lock is badly leaking so the top and bottom pair have been reduced to one lock to stop a build up of boats in between the locks.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Apparently the middle lock is badly leaking so the top and bottom pair have been reduced to one lock to stop a build up of boats in between the locks.

If cart got off their fat backsides and fixed the lock then it would remove the delays and holdups.

Yet another reason I left carts mismanaged ditches for better waters.

At the start of August, we came down the top lock, headed for the vacant middle lock when the hire boat on the other lock moved over. The boat ascending in the right lock, descended and moved t othe left lock. I went to the right lock to be told by the hire boat and the timeshare boat that came up andwent down again that the lock was not filling,only 3/4 the way.

I filled the lock, 3/4 full, opened the top gate and went in, pointing out to the hirers and the timeshare boat crew that the pound was about 18" down, and not helped by filling and then emptying a lock.

12 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

But think of all that water that was saved by only half of the flight being used.

:unsure:

single paddle doubles the deficit, of course, bath with a friend ...

Edited by LadyG

23 minutes ago, Foggy66 said:

Winter cruising is the answer ?

Agreed, vastly better but the eeeeeejuts in offices arrange to do all the maintenance works during winter. It would make far more sense to do it all in the summer when the weather is better and there is more daylight to complete the jobs in and leave the winter for boating.

11 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

At the start of August, we came down the top lock, headed for the vacant middle lock when the hire boat on the other lock moved over. The boat ascending in the right lock, descended and moved t othe left lock. I went to the right lock to be told by the hire boat and the timeshare boat that came up andwent down again that the lock was not filling,only 3/4 the way.

I filled the lock, 3/4 full, opened the top gate and went in, pointing out to the hirers and the timeshare boat crew that the pound was about 18" down, and not helped by filling and then emptying a lock.

How did you open top gate if it was only 3/4 full ?

I think its uber quiet.

Left Crick last weekend and now at Stone. At no point have we had to queue and even negotiated both Crick and Braunston tunnels without meeting another boat. 

It will be different next week though. Coz the Silvertops all leave their moorings/marinas. 

• Haha 1

I suppose if during the end of the school's holidays you took three single, narrow locks. 

Then placed them together geographically at a spot statistically proven to be the busiest on the system year after year.

I guess it could easily take that long.

22 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I suppose if during the end of the school's holidays you took three single, narrow locks. 

Then placed them together geographically at a spot statistically proven to be the busiest on the system year after year.

I guess it could easily take that long.

Correct. Wouldn't have been quite so bad if the locks which were open all had their full complement of working paddles... ?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Correct. Wouldn't have been quite so bad if the locks which were open all had their full complement of working paddles... ?

This is now defined by CRT as "at least one at each end". Any more is a bonus, and you should be grateful. If this policy is queried, you will be told it's a restriction due to the current pandemic.

We've just come down Hillmorton, came round the corner and went straight in the top lock at 16:15 as a boat came out, then straight in the middle lock as a boat came out and then filled the bottom lock and out by 16:45.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The south Oxford is indeed quiet at the moment, only one boat in front of me today at any lock max with non most of the time. Fab.

September innit.  All the "continuous cruisers" that hog locks and VMs have gone back to their houses for the winter ...