School Child ( Secondary ) Education

David HK

Featured Posts

Is there a forum here that deals with educating your child when boat dwelling?

Looking for options of online in some months and attending in others.

I have seen that the travelers schooling arrangements seem to have been sloped off to LA's rather than CG and guess that just killed it all stone dead.

Have not lived in UK nearly 20 years and planning to return in a year or two when my daughter needs a secondary education.

Flexible to live most places.

1 minute ago, David HK said:

Looking for options of online in some months and attending in others.

I have seen that the travelers schooling arrangements seem to have been sloped off to LA's rather than CG and guess that just killed it all stone dead.

Have not lived in UK nearly 20 years and planning to return in a year or two when my daughter needs a secondary education.

Flexible to live most places.

If you're worried about her school attendance while you are moving around the country on a boat, perhaps you could consider boarding school, if you have the means.

7 minutes ago, David HK said:

Not a financial issue. Not going to board my child because .................................   well not going to.

So, you haven't thought it through?

I taught in boarding schools for some 20 years. Quite a few of the pupils were the children of people who either lived abroad or who moved around a lot. It was, in most cases, an ideal solution for parents and children alike. If, as you imply, you can afford it, do give it some thought.

Edited by Athy

Not going to do it because I do not believe in having my daughter away from her family. I did it with my son years ago when I was in the Navy and lived to regret it. It is not in my nature or her mothers. End of discussion on that option. It's easy for us to do so with The Royal Hospital School but was immediately discounted.

35 minutes ago, David HK said:

Not going to do it because I do not believe in having my daughter away from her family. I did it with my son years ago when I was in the Navy and lived to regret it. It is not in my nature or her mothers. End of discussion on that option. It's easy for us to do so with The Royal Hospital School but was immediately discounted.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, David HK said:

To directly answer your question - There is no specific forum on here that deals with that subject.

But there is lot's of info. on the net on Home Schooling in the UK, the principle should be the same irrespective of the venue yes/no?

Unfortunately home schooling has got a bit of a bad press at the mo and the search results are swamped with info. about home schooling during the pandemic.

The info. is there to be found though if you dig deep enough.

eg

https://tinyurl.com/y2qm8d27

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Link removed as not covering secondary education

I am a home tutor here and together with the advances in online teaching, home schooling has come on leaps and bounds. You don't have to do it yourself with a pile of books and many online companies are accredited to "proper schools".

Here we go again.

Low count/new poster gets original question body swerved by long standing member in order that they can foster their 'opinions' on them.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

10 minutes ago, David HK said:

I am a home tutor here and together with the advances in online teaching, home schooling has come on leaps and bounds. You don't have to do it yourself with a pile of books and many online companies are accredited to "proper schools".

First of all welcome to the forum. I am interested in your proposal but have some concerns, I do not question your academic ability to teach her subect based studies. Hoewever, have you considered other aspects  of home schooling  on a boat? For example, how will you compensate for the lack of social interaction with peers she would normally experience in a school?

Edited by David Schweizer

2 minutes ago, David HK said:

You made the mistake of not posting your detailed CV for intense scrutiny by the forum, just so they could judge if you were a suitable person.

Somebody will be along shortly to ask for evidence of that you know?

?

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Have you considered to down side of home schooling, especially on a boat? I do not question your academuc ability to Teach her subect based studies, but how will you compensate for the lack of social interaction with peers she would experience in a school?

Yes of course but we live in Hong Kong at the moment and she is being brought up in a minimal social interaction bubble environment and in extremes since Dec 19.  I do not want to do it at home all year, just Easter to October, then winter up adjacent to a school that can accommodate her. I have seen this work really well ( albeit they have travelling friends to intact with ) with travelling fair kids when I had a business supplying them. However the system has changed since those days.

15 minutes ago, David HK said:

Yes of course but we live in Hong Kong at the moment and she is being brought up in a minimal social interaction bubble environment and in extremes since Dec 19.  I do not want to do it at home all year, just Easter to October, then winter up adjacent to a school that can accommodate her. I have seen this work really well ( albeit they have travelling friends to intact with ) with travelling fair kids when I had a business supplying them. However the system has changed since those days.

In theory your proposal has some merit, and will offer your daughter an intersting experience.  However, as you say things have changed in more recent years, and it may be difficult to find a school (other than an unpopular failing one) which will have any spare capacity to accomodate your daughter for just two terms. I would suggest that you will need to decide on a number of areas where you would wish to overwinter and contact schools in those areas. You have a couple of years to conduct your enquiries so that may make your proposal a reality. I wish you all the best with your endeavours.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

In theory your proposal has some merit, and will offer your daughter an intersting experience.  However, as you say things have changed in more recent years, and it may be difficult to find a school (other than an unpopular failing one) which will have any spare capacity to accomodate your daughter for just two terms. I would suggest that you will need to decide on a number of areas where you would wish to overwinter and contact schools in those areas. You have a couple of years to conduct your enquiries so that may make your proposal a reality. I wish you all the best with your endeavours.

Thanks for your words.  

48 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Here we go again.

Low count/new poster gets original question body swerved by long standing member in order that they can foster their 'opinions' on them.

That's unduly cynical. The O.P. asked for ideas and information, and has received some.

In what way has homeschooling received bad press recently, as you state?

Just now, Athy said:

That's unduly cynical. The O.P. asked for ideas and information, and has received some.

In what way has homeschooling received bad press recently, as you state?

Purely based on recent events. So I would say not unduly cynical at all, and it was based on the post that simply said "Home schooling is NOT a good idea." Which is far from being helpful. It is of course only an opinion that it's 'not a good idea'. Many kids are successfully home schooled, if it's done with proper preparation resources and information. It wouldn't be for my granddaughter who is a very sociable kid and we know she has missed her school friends greatly and is really looking forward to going back to school on Tuesday, but that is not say it might not suit somebody else's child including the OP's.

Home schooling has had a bad press because families have been thrust into it, unprepared and often did not have the requisite skills or resources to be able to do it. We have experienced the difficulties first hand hand and that was with a primary school child so I feel qualified to comment.

As a result the media has been filled with 'bad press' reports about kids education suffering and parents struggling with home schooling their kids. Just another example of everything being 'covid centric' these days. It's as if it's the only thing that matters in our lives.

I was struggling to find a useful link or links amongst all the negative covid related news stories hence the comment.

I AM a contract NET ( Native English Teacher ) running courses in schools and home tutor, here in Hong Kong. Retired Engineer ex Royal Navy.  Tutoring is a prime industry here and 90% of families have a tutor to their home or go to a learning centre. My experience may be a lot different to a tenured teacher in the UK where ( when I was in UK 16 yrs ago ) homeschooling was the preserve of a parent who didn't believe in the system and had skills to get their child to excel. Or believed they did. 

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I would suggest that you will need to decide on a number of areas where you would wish to overwinter and contact schools in those areas. 

I would suggest this is probably the most valuable idea so far.   This way the school can a) tell you what the child needs to have covered to make best use of the time in class i.e. background knowledge  b) the school will know if they are likely to be able to offer a place or even keep a place knowing it is needed.

As has been said, the problem will be to find a school that can accommodate a part-year pupil. Presumably you would return to a base mooring each winter so she could go to the same school, rather than try to find a new school every time, which might well be impossible.

I would expect a public school, which would get paid for it, is more likely to be accommodating than a state school, though as there are now several kinds of school (academy, free, council run) and the system is so fragmented it's very hard to say. And the academies change hands, so an agreement made at one time may well be reneged on. Free schools may use unqualified teachers.

The education system is now a disorganised mess and you have to bear that in mind, there's no central place to check.  Maybe best  to decide where you want to winter and contact all the local schools for their advice, labour intensive though it is.