Aintree Beetle 30ft

Philip

Featured Posts

Just wondering if anyone knows the cost of a brand new 30 footer of this class? The website doesn't quote the prices.

Can I ask what these snagging problems tend to be when taking on a newly built boat? Just that there is a bespoke design I have seen and chances are a used boat would be of standard layout.

Just to give a summary of what I'm thinking...I currently own a Norman 24 GRP and thinking about whether to go for a steel boat. Cruiser is in good condition mechanically (engine, drive, electrics, canopy), but it'd be nice to have a more comfortable toilet area and somewhere to shower, along with a full oven as currently only have two-burners and a grill. Water tank is only about 30-35 litres, so very very small capacity. Also the lack of insulation and large single-glazed windows make it rather uncomfortable to sleep on a cold night (there is heating but the Propex blown-air only runs off a 1.9kg gas cylinder, so not really big enough to leave running through the night). Advantages of the cruiser are the canopy and sociable cockpit, although the canopy needs to be up when it's raining and it's a bit of a faff putting up. I've done near enough everything with my cruiser over 8 years, and perhaps time to think of something else.

So whilst a longer steel boat has more home comforts, I'm not looking to liveaboard and so can't justify/afford splashing out much more than 30k really. The Aintree 25/30 seem to tick a lot of boxes with them being a similar same size so easy to turn, haul through locks etc along with cheap running costs. The added luxuries being a full cooker, wet room with shower, no need to worry about the rear deck getting wet, diesel powered heating system and I'm assuming much better insulation? The one downside is lack of storage, more so with the 25, but if Aintree could replace one of the single dinettes with a wardrobe and cupboard in the template then it would be ok.

I'm just asking anyone who owns or has owned one of these boats, would it be worth spending approx. 30k on one of these to 'upgrade' from my GRP and use for trips? Little things like whether the dinettes and double berths are comfortable, is the wet room well sealed and useable etc? I know the decision rests with me, but would appreciate any opinions please!

I'll add that I do a lot of cruising miles, so something nice and robust and easy to steer and handle would be good.

Edited by Philip

Have you seen the No. 2 layout on the 25 which has 2 full length berths convertible to huge double and the galley at the stern?   Lots of cupboards instead of the single dinettes and costs £34550 so closer to your budget.   I used to have the other layout but am having this one built now as we don't need 4 berths on a small boat.   The insulation is spray foam, considered the best, however double glazing would be extra.   The wet room works well but is rather small.

19 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

Have you seen the No. 2 layout on the 25 which has 2 full length berths convertible to huge double and the galley at the stern?   Lots of cupboards instead of the single dinettes and costs £34550 so closer to your budget.   I used to have the other layout but am having this one built now as we don't need 4 berths on a small boat.   The insulation is spray foam, considered the best, however double glazing would be extra.   The wet room works well but is rather small.

That's interesting, thanks! I know they all have two layouts but can't find a plan of layout 2 for the 25ft anywhere. Can the double at the front on layout 2 convert to a dinette? The layout 1 looks like it'd be good if only they could just get rid of one of those single dinettes at the back and use the space for storage/longer galley. But might be too far out of the template.

Edited by Philip

On 29/08/2020 at 12:11, Athy said:

There's a nearly new 25-footer on sale at about £32,000. So a guesstimate for a new 30-footer would be £40 - 45,000.

Seems a bit overpriced for the length. And 30' would not be my idea of a live-a-board. 

16 minutes ago, Higgs said:

And 30' would not be my idea of a live-a-board. 

Its not 'ideal' but one Christmas eve we sold our little 30 footer to a young couple, they moved it down to London between Christmas & New Year and apparently (from reports) were very happy living aboard.

We had fitted a little pipsqueak solid fuel stove which could get the temperature in the boat up to 50 degrees so they should have been snuggly enough.

IMG_20130912_101839.jpg

IMG_20130912_123236.jpg

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its not 'ideal' but one Christmas eve we sold our little 30 footer to a young couple, they moved it down to London between Christmas & New Year and apparently (from reports) were very happy living aboard.

We had fitted a little pipsqueak solid fuel stove which could get the temperature in the boat up to 50 degrees so they should have been snuggly enough.

IMG_20130912_101839.jpg

Looks like a good little boat. Could turn it almost anywhere. It gets quite hot. If it was practical, I'd like a sauna on my boat - seriously. 

Edited by Higgs

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

That's interesting, thanks! I know they all have two layouts but can't find a plan of layout 2 for the 25ft anywhere. Can the double at the front on layout 2 convert to a dinette? The layout 1 looks like it'd be good if only they could just get rid of one of those single dinettes at the back and use the space for storage/longer galley. But might be too far out of the template.

If you are on the Facebook group you can find an old catalogue in the files section which shows the layouts.   You can have a table between the berths on a Desmo leg with a sunken floor socket.   You could ask Aintree if they would modify layout 1, unless you need 4 beds your plan would be better.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

If you are on the Facebook group you can find an old catalogue in the files section which shows the layouts.   You can have a table between the berths on a Desmo leg with a sunken floor socket.   You could ask Aintree if they would modify layout 1, unless you need 4 beds your plan would be better.

Thanks - great help! 

Also wondering if it is better to spend a bit more on a short version of one of these that won't come with problems, than spending say £10,000 less on a 25 year old 40-foot narrowboat that might be a total mess behind the panelling and cupboards and under the floorboards.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 10:56, JamesFrance said:

Can I ask how the double at the front is made up on layout 1 of the 25ft please? I've been looking at pictures but can't find where the 'bridge' comes from to make it into a double bed.