River Severn shut due to high water levels

frangar

Featured Posts

CRT have issued a stoppage for the River Severn due to high water. Please be aware that the SSW warnings on the CRT website dont seem to be bearing much relationship with actual high levels so if anyone is unsure about a transit I'd phone the relevant lockies.

Please be advised that the River Severn is closed from Gloucester Lock to Lincomb Lock due to river levels rapidly rising.

The strong stream warning traffic light system is currently in the red zone: Do Not Navigate.

We will keep you updated as soon as conditions improve.

If you require any further information please contact us on enquiries.walessouthwest@canalrivertrust.org.uk  should there be any aspect you would like to discuss.

In the case of an out of hours emergency please ring - Freephone Canals on 08004799947

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/18252/river-severn-navigation-lock-2-gloucester-lock-lock-9-lincomb-lock

7 minutes ago, RichM said:

Interesting.

Something I've always wondered - What happens to boats with permanent moorings on the severn? I know they're few and far between but I've definitely seen them. 

There are quite a few permanent mooring sites including a full marina at Upton...and in the main they all have some "floating" mooring arrangement...either rising posts or floating pontoons...of course if it goes really high you can run out of rise so to speak....then it gets messy!....

It was impressive watching the level rise earlier....was going up about 1cm a minute at one point....

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Fluctuating river levels remind the users that they (the rivers) are primarily there for drainage and not for navigation...

(having a bad evening today)

Yep!! And you can’t really calm nature however much you try! Tis interesting that there really seems to be more fluctuation in river levels in summer now than there used to be even from when I started boating 30 years ago. 

The Chestercield top locks are supposed to close in a few days [water shortage], not sure if CRT uses tbe long range forecasting system, it's pretty heavy here,

Judging by my rain gauge/bucket we have had over five inches in five days ......

I assume the Severn locks are closed, river  must be open, or it would flood everywbere south of Brum....

Edited by LadyG

On 28/08/2020 at 20:42, LadyG said:

The Chestercield top locks are supposed to close in a few days [water shortage], not sure if CRT uses tbe long range forecasting system, it's pretty heavy here,

Judging by my rain gauge/bucket we have had over five inches in five days ......

I assume the Severn locks are closed, river  must be open, or it would flood everywbere south of Brum....

They base their stoppage on the amount of water in the feeder reservoirs which I doubt have been topped up enough this last week to lift the stoppages. They were at circa 25% capacity last week. It will take months of steady rain to refill them.

I think CRT  should repair weirs [Chesterfield] which are allowing levels to drop by 4".

Basic maintenance.ho is accepting shoddy materials, ths is nonsense, are CRT desperate to get rid of employees?

HR ( Human resources] is a contradiction in terms.

Edited by LadyG