Solar advice

Maryonboard

Featured Posts

I've recently bought myself a boat with the view to cruising for a month in the summer and occasional trips through the year.. I'm currently in the process of upgrading a few bits and bobs to make it more luxurious!

My current task is getting some sort of solar set up fitted. I've got my eyes on a few items. I'm on a fairly low budget. I would like a few opinions if possible before i go ahead and buy it because I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure they are compatible but would like some confirmation.My electricity usage is fairly minimal. No high wattage items, just fridge, lights, laptop & tv really.

These are the bits.

https://letussavetheplanet.com/collections/solar-power/products/500w-5-x-100w-12v-mono-crystalline-flexible-solar-panels-ideal-for-motor-homes-caravans-narrowboats-yachts-etc

https://letussavetheplanet.com/collections/solar-power/products/easun-power-1kva-solar-inverter-1000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-40a-mppt-off-grid-inverter-220v-hybrid-inverter-20a-ac-charger

I've got a 10% off voucher for this site so the final price seems quite reasonable for 500w setup?

Thanks in advance - M

Does your boat have an inverter already? If so, the second link iisn't ideal as it is a 1000W inverter too. You just need a stand alone solar controller in that case. I wouldn't get hung up about a discount voucher if the products aren't the most suitable. Flexible panels have a reputation for failing after only a few years. Don't know if these ones will or not. Rigid ones are much harder to kill.

A pair of these say https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/SSP200PS

would be cheaper with the current offer than the flexi panels and probably produce more power on a hot day as they would stay cooler than flexi panels stuck to a steel roof.

Combine that with a good charge controller, assuming you already have an inverter, https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/SCC110030210

Add in the wires, connectors, fuses, still comes cheaper than the ones you're looking at.

Jen

• Greenie 1

I considered rigid panels and understand that they would be more efficient, but I decided I prefer the flexible for several reasons. Firstly, my roof looks pretty, I don't want to spoil it. Secondly, I'm a short arse and can only just see over the roof as it is. I don't really want to obstruct my view.   It's a compromise, I don't mind losing a bit of efficiency to keep my view. I don't use a huge amount of electricity and will cruise most days when i'm on board. I just want something to keep things topped up really.

Anyone know how I change my profile picture?

Edited by Maryonboard

22 minutes ago, Maryonboard said:

I considered rigid panels and understand that they would be more efficient, but I decided I prefer the flexible for several reasons. Firstly, my roof looks pretty, I don't want to spoil it. Secondly, I'm a short arse and can only just see over the roof as it is. I don't really want to obstruct my view.   It's a compromise, I don't mind losing a bit of efficiency to keep my view. I don't use a huge amount of electricity and will cruise most days when i'm on board. I just want something to keep things topped up really.

Anyone know how I change my profile picture?

Stick on semi-flexi panels do not have a good name in the longevity stakes. The roof will not look nice a few years on when you have to rip off the de-laminating flexi-panels to fit more. Will less than 2" extra height in the centre of the roof really obscure your view that much (assuming standard horizontal brackets).

24 minutes ago, Maryonboard said:

I considered rigid panels and understand that they would be more efficient, but I decided I prefer the flexible for several reasons...

As long as you accept that you’ll have reduced efficiency and a much shorter life then fine, it’s your boat :)

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

As long as you accept that you’ll have reduced efficiency and a much shorter life then fine, it’s your boat :)

And, when you pull them off in a couple of years time to replace them, much of the roof paint will come off with them.

"Buy 'right' and buy once"

You can do whatever you wish, it's your money and your boat, people are just trying to pass on many years of experience - something worth 'beyond money'.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A pair of these say https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/SSP200PS

would be cheaper with the current offer than the flexi panels and probably produce more power on a hot day as they would stay cooler than flexi panels stuck to a steel roof.

Combine that with a good charge controller, assuming you already have an inverter, https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Item/SCC110030210

Add in the wires, connectors, fuses, still comes cheaper than the ones you're looking at.

Jen

Or a 610W kit from Bimble, which includes most of the bits and bobs you need to install it.

https://www.bimblesolar.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=&product_id=1422

• Greenie 1

Since most narrowboats are ballasted so they sit bow up, the extra 2" or so of the panels are unlikely to be the highest point, as long as they do not go to the front of the roof. Rigid panels shouldn't interfere with your view forward. It is a good idea for the panels not to be the highest point anyway as a low bridge, or tunnel is less likely to strike them.

Rigid panels are made in huge numbers now for solar farms and roof top installation, so the economies of scale make them very cheap. Big panels need less mounting and wiring infrastructure, so the biggest panels are made in the most numbers, making them the cheapest per watt to buy.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Menu—>Account—>Profile :)

Thanks!

Okay, I'm considering rigid panels now but fixed flat to the roof instead of on those big tilting brackets that you see..

Is the inverter/charger thing okay? https://letussavetheplanet.com/collections/solar-power/products/easun-power-1kva-solar-inverter-1000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-40a-mppt-off-grid-inverter-220v-hybrid-inverter-20a-ac-charger

Probably not the best 1000 watts is unlikely to be able to start a 240v fridge. It won't power a microwave and most kettles are more than 1000 watts. Ideal inverter is 1800 to 3000 watts continuous sine wave peak power higher.  A 20 amp charger is possibly too small.  The MPPT is the right size but at 500 watts solar limit a bit restrictive my 40 amp controller can be connected to 800 watts of solar. You can easily get alternatives for the individual bits and being separate if one breaks you don't lose everything. You may save money as well.

Do you actually need solar?

If you plan to only use the boat for a month each year then I suspect you will be boating almost everyday so the engine should keep the batteries charged. Money might be better spent on an extra battery or two so you can have a "rest day" without running the engine. If however your plan is to boat for a day, find a nice quiet spot and stop there for a week then solar would be good. 500w of solar is what you need for a semi-static boat, but if you want hot water and even a washing machine without running the engine then 500 is probably still not enough.

...................Dave