What is your latest purchase, bargain, 'must have gadget' ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Athy said:

You are so kind. No, just very British.

I am British also.

But my education from the age of 11 or 12  was entirely in the metric system and I have only used metric units  at work except on occasions when having to refer to historic information and I do occasionally lapse into talking about inches  and threpny  bits when speaking  . I don't consider the metric system to be  un-British.   I do find  the hanging on to imperial units is a quite quaintly British thing.

My mother in law who passed a way two years ago at the age of 96  had no grasp of metric measure other than money which she understood to the penny.

The Fahrenheit scale is not British at all.  Fahrenheit was in fact  born in Poland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Gabriel_Fahrenheit

Edited by MartynG
  • Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I do find  the hanging on to imperial units is a quite quaintly British thing.

The Americans are even worse than the British for this. Most Americans are firmly convinced that if they go metric, then the terrorists*/Chinese*/Venezualans*/Russians*/North Koreans*/Iranians*  have won.

(*Delete or insert as appropriate for whoever is the official enemy of the moment.)

Americans do like 9mm bullets though! ?

• Horror 1

14 hours ago, Murflynn said:

wot's wrong with ebay today?

I have tried to put 6 different items in my basket and have visited about 30 different sites - in every case "the seller is on holiday and I should send him a message".

never happened to me before.  surely every seller does not register his bank holiday weekend holiday with ebay?

....................  and today, a bank holiday, all the sellers' holiday notices have disappeared.  ???   :banghead:

On 30/08/2020 at 17:44, Alan de Enfield said:

They do a 6 step and a 9 step version.

Without getting it out of the locker I'd guess 12" apart.

I have 6' of freeboard and have 3 steps in the water.

Thanks. Our freeboard is about the same so I'll keep an eye out for the 9 step version.

• 1 month later...

My gadget for this week - something like this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Leifheit-Bolero-Thermal-Insulated-Plastic/dp/B0030BITR2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Leifheit%2BBolero%2BThermal%2BInsulated%2BVacuum%2BJug%2BPlastic%2BBlack%2B1%2BLitre&qid=1602596393&sr=8-2&th=1

A large thermos jug - key features:

▪️Glass vacuum tube, NOT stainless innards, as I’ve found those lacking when it came to the key feature of keeping the coffee hot, even when pre-heated.

▪️Lever (not pump) action lid - can be poured with one mittened hand.

Beware, the majority of stainless jugs seem to have stainless innards or are expensive.

Needs to mention glass.

• 3 months later...
On 30/08/2020 at 12:13, Bewildered said:

Used the Coal Cage for the first timelast night. Works very well for controlling a small fire to take the chill out.
Once filled and lit it burned steadily on low all evening without the need to constantly add coal, only had to top it up once, (half dozen or so ovals). Need to now wait until later in the year to see how it performs when more output is required, but so far so good for the chilly autumnal evenings.

Would you recommend these are using one?

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2021 at 18:00, robtheplod said:

Would you recommend these are using one?

Sorry about the delay in responding, haven’t been on this site in a while.

The coal cage is good for late autumn when you want a low fire but I removed it a soon as the temperature dropped and more heat was required, will probably start using it again in the Spring when the fire is out during the day and only a low fire is needed at night.

it works well for this purpose as I find it easier to keep a low fire going with the coal cage, it burns slowly with little attention needed.

• Greenie 1