What is your latest purchase, bargain, 'must have gadget' ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Chagall said:

Not really, you just need to tap lightly, it's not like flies are the size of cats!  If you tap lightly the fly stays on the swat and tips into the canal or bin, quick rinse and ready to go.   If you wave an electric wand at a fly it sizzles and drops to the floor, bleargh! 

I will admit to buying an electric fly swat in my first year of boating, I never used it. By the time I'd found it, and powered it up the fly had hidden. 

Found the zappers to be a waste of time, just got one of these to replace it, takes up less space 

image.png.d3a099ca641a70ddda908736aff9058b.png A telescopic fly swatter - fly and mosquito

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 hours ago, Chagall said:

Oh but I cant pass up such a wonderful chance to be smugly didactic ...its been proved that newspapers kill less effectively than swats.  I cant remember the exact science but its to do with the hexagon pattern being similar to how a fly sees, and the holes in the mesh swat move less air as it swings so the fly isnt alerted.   How many times do you think you have the perfect line to kill and the fly darts away?  The air wave warns it long before you bash. 

Like a longbow, it take time to master the art of swatting a fly with a paper, I very rarely miss.  

Used the Coal Cage for the first timelast night. Works very well for controlling a small fire to take the chill out.
Once filled and lit it burned steadily on low all evening without the need to constantly add coal, only had to top it up once, (half dozen or so ovals). Need to now wait until later in the year to see how it performs when more output is required, but so far so good for the chilly autumnal evenings.

• Happy 1

5 hours ago, Giant said:

I like the look of those ladders at the start of the thread, hadn't seen that design before - will have to keep an eye out on ebay for them. @Alan de Enfield or @magnetman, how far apart are the steps on yours? I want to work out how many steps we'd need to get.

They do a 6 step and a 9 step version.

Without getting it out of the locker I'd guess 12" apart.

I have 6' of freeboard and have 3 steps in the water.

6 hours ago, Giant said:

I like the look of those ladders at the start of the thread, hadn't seen that design before - will have to keep an eye out on ebay for them. @Alan de Enfield or @magnetman, how far apart are the steps on yours? I want to work out how many steps we'd need to get.

wot's wrong with ebay today?

I have tried to put 6 different items in my basket and have visited about 30 different sites - in every case "the seller is on holiday and I should send him a message".

never happened to me before.  surely every seller does not register his bank holiday weekend holiday with ebay?

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

That's clever, how far away from the boat can you be before it stops working.....

Miles away, I should think.  I've locked the boat up and gone home a few times since I got it, and it always works when I go back.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, matty40s said:

But how do you know it's working when you're not there....

It isn't.  I unplug it and put it back in the drawer and then turn the power off before I leave.  

Edited by Tom Morgan
Correct spelling mistake.
  • Greenie 1