What is your latest purchase, bargain, 'must have gadget' ?

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Stuff to get through Uk winter. Haven’t done one since 2005. They are desperate for me to go and work 6 months in Oz , but can’t connect my lapsed residence Visa  with my ex  employers and the airlines. Don’t apply for visa renewal until you Can get a flight, you can’t get a flight your  visa is invalid...are you an essential worker, yes, do you have a job yes, ah but you don’t have a visa. Round and round..

I bought a GoWindlass to see if it saved my back any effort.  My wife's coming on the next trip so it'll be interesting to see if she finds the ratchet useful - I used it twice in three weeks, once just for fun and once on a particularly stiff paddle. Otherwise, the main advantage was having a combination normal and long length thing, as I mostly used the short bit but the extra leverage did come in handy. I suspect that those of us over six foot mostly have enough leverage anyway.

9 hours ago, Bewildered said:

D27BA04E-CD1D-4E1B-AABD-E9721937388E.png.50e71274fbc0715c25d57c956d4c1419.png

Just waiting for the weather to turn to see if this is any good

You won't have to wait long. If the forecast is to be believed it is going to drop down to 6 degrees tonight.

Glad we got the diesel heater sorted out last week!

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For us, the forecast is 3 degrees at 5:00am Sunday (6 - 9 degrees in the towns)

We are heading to Dunham so chances are it will be colder than 6 degrees there.

Don't mind it being cold so long as its dry.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looks an interesting little device.

Supposedly saves a lot on fuel and is easier to bank up for the night.

Don’t know what it will be like when you need a roaring fire on a very cold night. The other draw back is loading the coal one lump at a time with tongs, but I think I could live with that.

What stops the ash falling through the gaps?

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For us, the forecast is 3 degrees at 5:00am Sunday (6 - 9 degrees in the towns)

Surprisingly, here in the supposedly exposed Fens the night temperature is not expected to fall below 47 degrees, though that's still pretty cool for what's still supposed to be summer.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

What stops the ash falling through the gaps?

Surprisingly, here in the supposedly exposed Fens the night temperature is not expected to fall below 47 degrees, though that's still pretty cool for what's still supposed to be summer.

47°C, didn't realise the Fens were that close to the equator! ??

Our latest purchase was a first aid box! We couldn't believe that neither of us had thought to put one on the boat when a plaster was needed last week. We both have one in our vehicles and of course the house and Gamebird have one and we have both been involved in organisations where we supplied them. How on earth did neither of us think to put one on Kelpie for the last few years? 

Haggis

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

10 minutes ago, smiler said:

But less fun and messy - sqashed flies everywhere.

Not really, you just need to tap lightly, it's not like flies are the size of cats!  If you tap lightly the fly stays on the swat and tips into the canal or bin, quick rinse and ready to go.   If you wave an electric wand at a fly it sizzles and drops to the floor, bleargh! 

I will admit to buying an electric fly swat in my first year of boating, I never used it. By the time I'd found it, and powered it up the fly had hidden. 

Edited by Chagall
sizzles is not an easy spell

27 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Fly Swat .... it works, 29 pence,  batteries not needed.

flyswat.jpg

You were done, Pick up a free fly swatter and firelighter at any station or on most buses. AKA 'The Metro' freebe newspaper.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

No, proper degrees, not those metric ones.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

You were done, Pick up a free fly swatter and firelighter at any station or on most buses. AKA 'The Metro' freebe newspaper.

Oh but I cant pass up such a wonderful chance to be smugly didactic ...its been proved that newspapers kill less effectively than swats.  I cant remember the exact science but its to do with the hexagon pattern being similar to how a fly sees, and the holes in the mesh swat move less air as it swings so the fly isnt alerted.   How many times do you think you have the perfect line to kill and the fly darts away?  The air wave warns it long before you bash. 

5 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Memories! I met the left-hand one (Valerie Holiday) at Gatwick Airport once. I knew their manager and had business with him, and he turned up with her in tow.

Just now, Chagall said:

How many times do you think you have the perfect line to kill and the fly darts away?  

I've named our kitchen fly Lazarus.

I already have one of those ladders from a boat jumble. 

So I bought an electric mid drive motor kit for my bike. Its great, done 150 miles on it over the past two weeks or so. Even dragged the old dog trailer out of the shed for the big shop at the co-op. 

1 hour ago, waterdog said:

Picked up one of these today, just in case ........

They look small enough to fit down the weed hatch though I hope I never need to find out.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-bolt-cutter-366mm/p/0244525

Since I bought my bolt cutters (following an incident with a sprung mattress) I’ve never have had to use then down the weed hatch. That’s probably jinxed it now ?