Do 'you' stop your boating to visit features near the cut?

OldGoat

Featured Posts

I wonder if  people take an interest in locations near their route? Not necessarily general points of interest - but those little features that you didn't know existed - until you got there.

For why -

we've been boating for far too many years and explored a lot of the system either via hire fleets or later our own boats,

Latterly constrained (by practical cruising range - the Management excludes long distances as she gets 'cabin fever'), we've discovered that talking to local folk or googling places nearby - quite often gives the response "I never knew that".  When we do that, it's quite illuminating when you discover that local folk are happy to engage in conversation - and point you to something that is QI.

Therefore, what do YOU think? Are we nutters - or do we have a point??

• Greenie 1

We don't do much of it, no. However during his retirement my grandfather did more. That boat was spec'd to last a week, frugally used, without running the engine and hence changing the batteries for this reason. Before good solar or the availablity of LED lighting, fridge somewhat excluded I feel!

Daniel

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I wonder if  people take an interest in locations near their route? Not necessarily general points of interest - but those little features that you didn't know existed - until you got there.

Absolutely. Having push bikes on board expands the potential range hugely over shanks' pony. You get to visit stuff you might never get to otherwise as it isn't worth a journey from home on its own account, or you might not even find it existed. Puts the canal in to its local context. Gives you a rest from tiller and lock wheeling. 

Jen

• Greenie 1

We tend to do a mixture of longer boating days, usually when we are constrained by tide times so have to be somewhere at a set time, and more leisurely days where we take our time to explore the local area. Since getting the dog we are forced to stop and explore a little even on longer cruising days as he has to have a toilet break at some point during the day. 

Being retired and owning your own boat makes exploring the areas around the canal so much easier. Quite often we will use the buses to venture further afield but we learned early on that getting there is one thing - getting back is another. One bus a day resulted in a rather long taxi ride back.

Local churches and the village store are often a great place to start the enquiries and the good folk there will happily point you in the right direction.