Metered mains LX cable

RickS

Featured Posts

One of many question I shall, no doubt, be asking as I have just bought a boat and now realise i should have read the isntruction manual about life on board ?

Do you have to have your own metered cable when staying in a marina? If so, how much are they usually please?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

One of many question I shall, no doubt, be asking as I have just bought a boat and now realise i should have read the isntruction manual about life on board ?

Do you have to have your own metered cable when staying in a marina? If so, how much are they usually please?

Thanks

Not usually, although some do require them.

Most have their own meters in the supply bollard.

8 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

Thanks

Some marinas require you to have a metered cable, some you just buy a pre-paid card (£5 or £10) put it in the slot and use it until it runs out then put another card in, & some marinas have a meter which they read and then give you a bill.

Depends on where you plan to moor,

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

To be specific -

https://www.yachtbits.com/MeterMaid-in-line-portable-electricity-meter-16a-32v-10m

That's with a long lead

Around £150 as a price guide.

I've got one of these meter maid inline jobs, although it's just a short one. I had it for use at Crick when the boat was based there. Its a while back mind, probably around 7 years, so I don't know if one is still required at Crick.

If you don't have access to the meter as is the case here at Foxes. It is worth installing your own meter on between the shoreline socket  and the changeover switch (if you have one) but before the breaker box. That way you don't get a nasty shock when you get the bill. You can pick one up for about £25 new

Thanks for all your replies - I'm sorry to have asked my question without reading the marina's blurb (where I have just had the boat moored) more fully - you are required to buy one or rent one from them, it says here

Just hope they are not too pricey

Thanks again

Edited by Rick Savery

8 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A lot of CaRT moorings with leccy have gone all 21st century. Credit top ups and monitor usage on-line. Even possible to disconnect your bollard supply remotely, though I can't think of a situation where that would actually be useful.

Jen

Maybe to stop your neighbour plugging into your supply when out cruising and now they can’t turn it back on locally.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

To be specific -

https://www.yachtbits.com/MeterMaid-in-line-portable-electricity-meter-16a-32v-10m

That's with a long lead

Around £150 as a price guide.

MeterMaid is good but pricey,

There are more reasonable alternatives -

https://images.app.goo.gl/H3cdxxzQrfU4LWTQ8

Seems decent enough and does the job, however I would consider a much better option which is to put a meter on the shore line supply in the boat.

I presume this would satisfy the rules that require a metered hook up connection to be in place.

Fit one of these ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313151955733

Edited by MarkH2159
update

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've got one of these meter maid inline jobs, although it's just a short one. I had it for use at Crick when the boat was based there. Its a while back mind, probably around 7 years, so I don't know if one is still required at Crick.

Yep, still required at Crick.

7 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Maybe to stop your neighbour plugging into your supply when out cruising and now they can’t turn it back on locally.

Good suggestion, but the bollard automagically disconnects your account when you remove your shore line, making it available for others to use. Personal ID numbers and PIN's used to log in, so reasonably secure.

Setting off cruising without removing the shore line is not a good idea as I found out when I accidentally destroyed one of the old card reader bollards. ?

Jen

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

Fit one of these ??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313151955733

Hmmm.......

Item description

" Features: 100% Brand new and high quality! This Internet Streaming/Media Centre TV Box is for you! Supports usual for Android apps so you can access your for email, for Facebook etc. via your TV. Best choice for yourself or your friend."
Read more

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Hmmm.......

Item description

" Features: 100% Brand new and high quality! This Internet Streaming/Media Centre TV Box is for you! Supports usual for Android apps so you can access your for email, for Facebook etc. via your TV. Best choice for yourself or your friend."
Read more

Strange because when you do actually select the 'read more' tab it does go to the correct description, however i note that the one I first posted is only 5A nominal current,

This one is better but there are many choices.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184002387952

Question is, would it satisfy the rules at marinas such as Crick that require you to use a metered shore line connection??

4 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

Question is, would it satisfy the rules at marinas such as Crick that require you to use a metered shore line connection??

Firstly, it would have to be visible from outside the boat, otherwise they won't be able to read it.  Secondly, you'd have to convince them that nothing bypasses it, which could prove more difficult.  A Meter Maid is simple, unambiguous and effective, so why not use one?

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Firstly, it would have to be visible from outside the boat, otherwise they won't be able to read it.  Secondly, you'd have to convince them that nothing bypasses it, which could prove more difficult.  A Meter Maid is simple, unambiguous and effective, so why not use one?

OK the reason not to use a Meter Maid is possibly the same as to why not everyone has Victron Electrical equipment - Price and in some cases availablity.

To be visible from outside the boat and "bypass free" then the meter could be placed in a suitable Electrical Connector box with transparent lid such as -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071LSBGJ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WDvsFbXS9BSW0

Cable glands would be similar to -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Q11VTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_aovsFbCH6Q0KW

This would be a reasonable cost effective solution to those who already have an electric hook up cable and are able to cut and splice this kind of meter in.

However, if starting from scratch then with added costs of cabling and end connectors, plus the work involved, it may be more effective to get a Meter Maid or similar.

Remember, some guys here spend a lot of money and time on batteries, others buy cheap sealed ones to fit and forget - each to his own, but I would be quite happy to fettle up a meter in a box instead of simply buying an expensive one.

13 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Never needed one, most are current limited, have a meter fitted, or give you one to use.

We do however also have an hard wired in meter on the boat. Randomly, as you do!

Daniel

Do you have to put shillings into it? could be handy for the beer fund