K

Kkk

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, JWirz said:

Terrible service, looking to rip of buyers by selling faulty boats and hiding the evidence from potential purchasers. 

Had a boat lifted out of the water to have a survay done. The survayer found multiple faults. They did not agree to repair the faults. Next thing I knew I was having to pay to have the boat put back in the water so they could try and rip off another person.

I wonder if they are just out to make a buk through their craining service. 

I'm confused.  It's absolutely normal for a prospective buyer to pay for lift out and then back in when getting a survey.  It's also normal to have to pay to "make good" any damage done to the blacking by the surveyor.

What did your sales contract say?  Many say that unless faults discovered by the survey come to more than 5% or 10% of the agreed purchase price you have still agreed to buy the boat.

What faults did the survey pick up that put you off the boat?

• Greenie 1

Mr. Wirz, I hope you are not alleging any dishonesty on their part, as that could be construed as libellous. Perhaps you would be kind enough to remove any parts of your post which could suggest dishonest practice.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, JWirz said:

7000 of welding on a 10000 boat. 

It was the seller who was refusing to pay to fix the issues and now they are putting it back in the water to sell it again. 

So I’m not clear how this is the fault of the companies you mention?

7 minutes ago, JWirz said:

Terrible service, looking to rip of buyers by selling faulty boats and hiding the evidence from potential purchasers. 

Had a boat lifted out of the water to have a survay done. The survayer found multiple faults. They did not agree to repair the faults. Next thing I knew I was having to pay to have the boat put back in the water so they could try and rip off another person.

I wonder if they are just out to make a buk through their craining service. 

hiding?  that's pretty strong accusation.  do you mean 'hidden' as in below the waterline?

repair multiple faults ............  were the faults significant?  was the quality of the boat reflected in the price?

if you ask the boat to be lifted out of the water for a survey I would expect the price to cover lifting out and lifting back. 

rip off ........  faulty boats  ......   were there several boats in the same category?  are these new builds or used?  are the companies mentioned acting as brokers or do they own the boats in question?

Just now, JWirz said:

It was the seller who was refusing to pay to fix the issues and now they are putting it back in the water to sell it again. 

Yeah, that would do it!

Was it a boat worth £17000+ when the welding was done?  If so it was priced to account for the work needed so I'm not surprised they wouldn't agree to paying for the fix.

I'm not sure what you think the brokerage/ boatyard have done wrong here.

2 minutes ago, JWirz said:

and what would be the value of the boat if the welding was done?  perhaps 17K ?

let's be honest - anyone looking to buy a boat for £10K should expect it to be in pretty bad condition.

I also don't see that the yard has done anything wrong. You requested a lift out so that  survey could be done. The results of the survey are independent of the lift out. 

Personal if I was buying a £10,000 steel boat I would be very surprised if didn't have issues. I think you would have to be very lucky to find a £10,000 steel boat that was sound. 

• Greenie 1

I'm guessing it was this one

https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-317.html

40’ cruiser stern project narrowboat

This boat was built by Stone Boatbuilding, the exact year is unknown but we believe it must be 1970’s.

Power is provided by an air cooled Lister diesel.

She is being sold as a project as she is in need of work.

Viewings and thorough inspections are welcome. The condition of the hull is unknown and as with all our used boat we would encourage a pre-purchase survey, however we do have craning facilities on site so this can easily be arranged. She is afloat at our site in Penkridge.

I know it can be frustrating looking at project boats, but if you can walk away from a boat that would have cost you another £10,000 on top of the purchase price then the survey was worth getting.  

1 minute ago, Kkk said:

My surveyor valued the boat at 4k and 10k if the work was done

So that is why you have a survey done. You now have the choice of offering to purchase at 4k or to walk away. Same as any other potential buyer. 

I have clearly made a mistake. 

To me it seemed strange that the boat was being put back in the water. 

I am inexperienced in this area and I would like to close this thread. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Kkk said:

That is I think the sensible thing to do. 

Don't  be put of coming back for advice on future purchases. 

Good luck with your search. 

3 minutes ago, Kkk said:

You are more experienced now, and know what to expect next time.

Good luck with the boat hunting - it can be very frustrating at times on a tight budget, but there are some useable older boats around for £10-£20k.  The ones worth having tend to get snapped up very quickly though!

1 hour ago, Kkk said:

That has happened to be with a house. I have withdrawn my offer.  The  issue  was not revealed at by the vendor  (a developer) or his agent . The vendor  claimed to know nothing about it. 

It looks like another buyer has stepped up and may well be oblivious to the potential severity of the issue. Its not like the price reflected any possible issues.

Buyer beware.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

That has happened to be with a house. I have withdrawn my offer.  The  issue  was not revealed at by the vendor  (a developer) or his agent . The vendor  claimed to know nothing about it. 

It looks like another buyer has stepped up and may well be oblivious to the potential severity of the issue. Its not like the price reflected any possible issues.

Buyer beware.

I had that with a house. Usually house surveys are so riddled with get out clauses it's hard to tell anything. This one said the surveyor wouldn't advise anyone to go through the door without wearing a hard hat and protective clothing!

• Horror 1

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm guessing it was this one

https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-317.html

40’ cruiser stern project narrowboat

This boat was built by Stone Boatbuilding, the exact year is unknown but we believe it must be 1970’s.

Power is provided by an air cooled Lister diesel.

She is being sold as a project as she is in need of work.

Viewings and thorough inspections are welcome. The condition of the hull is unknown and as with all our used boat we would encourage a pre-purchase survey, however we do have craning facilities on site so this can easily be arranged. She is afloat at our site in Penkridge.

I know it can be frustrating looking at project boats, but if you can walk away from a boat that would have cost you another £10,000 on top of the purchase price then the survey was worth getting.  

The condition of the Hull is no longer unknown, and putting it back in the water is obviously in the hope that someone buys a cheap boat without the expense on craning out and in for a survey. 

It would be interesting to see exactly what the surveyor said to conclude it needs £7k on the Hull. I've known house surveyors create huge things out of nothing much. 

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is pretty much all taken up with over-plating (£210-£250 per foot)

Yes, but my question was really related to how he reached the conclusion. Some surveyors might find a few 8mm pits in a10mm bottom, and tell you it all needs replacing, whereas it might only need a couple of feet plating. 

It would be different If his meter showed most of a 10mm bottom down to 3mm or 4mm.