No good deed goes unpunished

Dyertribe

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

Ain’t that the truth?

Last night I posted the sad news of the death of a valuable member of the boating community.

I did so because CWDF did not appear to have this information but Thunderboat did. It was suggested there that someone should put a post up so that those that wished to on this site could also post their condolences, should they wish to.

Well Muggins here offered to do so and I added a link to the Thunderboat thread as there are some very fitting tributes there which, in my opinion were worth reading.

That’s when it all went to hell in a handcart. 

We can squabble all we like but the bottom line is that this animosity between  them and us serves no purpose other than to show us all at our worst.

So please can I make a suggestion? Stop it! Just stop it!

This is where I can agree, both forums exist and both serve a purpose for the members, long may they both continue and contribute 

• Greenie 4

34 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Ain’t that the truth?

Last night I posted the sad news of the death of a valuable member of the boating community.

I did so because CWDF did not appear to have this information but Thunderboat did. It was suggested there that someone should put a post up so that those that wished to on this site could also post their condolences, should they wish to.

Well Muggins here offered to do so and I added a link to the Thunderboat thread as there are some very fitting tributes there which, in my opinion were worth reading.

That’s when it all went to hell in a handcart. 

We can squabble all we like but the bottom line is that this animosity between  them and us serves no purpose other than to show us all at our worst.

So please can I make a suggestion? Stop it! Just stop it!

Yes. And if someone at some time stuck some code in to isolate anything mentioning Thunderwotsit, the techs should take it out. 

The fact that the post was moved by a mod from the isolation of the pub to the general bit, where it belonged, shows that common sense did win out in the end. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yes. And if someone at some time stuck some code in to isolate anything mentioning Thunderwotsit, the techs should take it out. 

The fact that the post was moved by a mod from the isolation of the pub to the general bit, where it belonged, shows that common sense did win out in the end. 

The fact that the original post was posted in General Boating, moved to the vp and then was not able to be modded correctly by the appointed Mods should also ring some alarm bells.

49 minutes ago, StationMaster said:

The fact that the original post was posted in General Boating, moved to the vp and then was not able to be modded correctly by the appointed Mods should also ring some alarm bells.

Was it? I was under the impression it started in the pub. I only picked up on it after all the schemozzle anyway.  Glad its here. Very sorry about Nigel.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Was it? I was under the impression it started in the pub. I only picked up on it after all the schemozzle anyway.  Glad its here. Very sorry about Nigel.

Yes and wasn't able to be moderated in the usual fashion. Only real explanation I can come up with is human interaction. I'm disappointed.

28 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I thought that you had a perfectly adequate explanation of what happened from Magpie Patrick, and what will happen next.  There is no suggestion of ongoing animosity, just a cock-up in a probably old piece of code.   There is nothing to stop except continued discussion of this non-squabble.

the thread title does sound grand though, like she saved a cygnet from dying or something and was attacked by the mom.. :)

• Unimpressed 1

40 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

the thread title does sound grand though, like she saved a cygnet from dying or something and was attacked by the mom.. :)

“She” is the cats mother. 

The OP is currently scouring g the inter web for a suitable hard hat and Kevlar vest. 

From my experience with forum applications a piece of code wouldn't need to be inserted as such. The settings probably have a filter for banned words in the message body which flag up some kind of action. Thunda-boat (sic) could simply be a banned word. Nothing too sinister there.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, RichM said:

Without naming names or going into specifics, there was a time some 3-4 years back when a couple former members were receiving a lot of abuse on a third party site which was being referenced here. I vaguely recall putting a check/filter in place so that these links were first reviewed by the Moderator team to ensure that the content was not abusive or otherwise inappropriate for a family forum such as this. Most members act in a civil & respectful manner and as such the use of this functionality is extremely limited/virtually non-existent in comparison to other sites, simply because it's not really necessary here. 

All I'm going to say is that there's absolutely no animosity here and appreciate that the now defunct filter in question may have seemed somewhat inappropriate on this occasion though it was originally set with the best of intentions to help protect those in question at that time. 

Rich was it just adding TB to the banned words filter?