Rochdale through Manchester - feeling twitchy

Capey_k

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, we are picking up our boat on Monday - 31st - the bank holiday. We lived aboard for years but have not had a great deal of experience of boating, (mainly due to work)

After living ashore for 6 years I have retired and we are bringing our boat from Rufford to Buxworth on the Peak Forest canal. 

Honestly I am petrified of doing the Rochdale 9 through Manchester. I have watched a YouTube video and if that young lad is struggling how on earth are two retired old farts going to manage.

Does anyone know if there is any help along the way, or is there anywhere we can shout for volunteers to help from CART.

I have had contact from one of the members here saying he was happy to move the boat for us, but he has since gone dark. 

Any advice anyone ??

Rochdale 9 can be tricky, they are big locks and excess water flows over the gates (no bywash) so they can be very hard to open. The underground lock can be a bit intimidating/unpleasant. On the positive side inexperienced hire boaters usually manage ok. 

You could wait at the bottom and hope you find somebody to share with. There are also a couple of very experienced volunteers who could help, though they most;y do the next section upwards??. Volunteers are booked by phoning CRT.

Its an interesting flight of locks and can be quite enjoyable if its not raining.

If you have no luck with getting a volunteer then post here again with a couple of days notice when you have an exact date, maybe somebody can help.

..................Dave

I have taken two  88 year olds through, twice. It really is not so bad. The tricky bit is where the tow path disappears between 2 locks at Canal Street, the lock crew either leg it over the wall or take a walk down the road.

The itinerant population are not a problem, they have their own agendas but be careful of needle sticks. 

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The tricky bit is where the tow path disappears between 2 locks at Canal Street, the lock crew either leg it over the wall or take a walk down the road.

It's a lot less trouble since CRT added a floating pontoon lock landing -  3 or 4 years ago I think.

Just get on the boat where the sign is and carry on.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have taken two  88 year olds through, twice. It really is not so bad. The tricky bit is where the tow path disappears between 2 locks at Canal Street, the lock crew either leg it over the wall or take a walk down the road.

The itinerant population are not a problem, they have their own agendas but be careful of needle sticks. 

When we've been through those two locks the crew got back on board the boat. There was a boat on one of the lock landings that seemed to have taken up residence there but we just stepped across said boat.

Hi everyone, reading the remarks makes me a bit sheepish really, I realise I am most likley just being a bit of a wimp. Anyhow I have someone from this forum who is happy to come along and help subject to his work, so its still iffy but I reckon we will manage. All else failing we can call CART for a hand but would feel a bit embarrased to ask for help like that. 

Thank you al so much for your input I really appreciate it.

• Greenie 1

Did it twice last year, and again last weekend. Last year we got stuck due to a carpet stuck between the gates, and had to call CRT out, but that can happen anywhere. Last weekend's passage was completely trouble free.

The whole environment is much improved from a few years ago, and the towpath is well used during the day. The only real points to note are:

• There is often a  lot of water coming down, so you can get water flowing over the top of the gates. So going up, you may want to hold back in the locks (if the boat is not full length). And you may need to fully open both bottom paddles to get the lock to empty completely while there is water coming over the top gates.
  • A couple of the locks have restricted space around the bottom gates, the gates have very short balance beams with weird windlass-operated chain winches to open and close them. All looks very Heath Robinson, but they work well enough, even if you do wind the winch the wrong way first time!
  • Lock 86 (I think) has no access from the towpath (which runs along the street at this point), so take all your crew with you. Going up, there is a notice reminding you of this at the lock below.
  • Lock 85 is completely underneath a tower block. Historically this bit has been the scene of some unsavouray behaviour, but the towpath has been realigned with hidden corners walled off, and the whole area is now very well lit, and locked at night. You may still encounter the occasional oddball character, but if you just ignore them, you will be fine.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

you may need to fully open both bottom paddles to get the lock to empty completely while there is water coming over the top gates.

You should always do this anyway on the Northern canals.  You'll not get out of the Rufford flight if you don't!

Many of the water level problems up here are caused by boaters not bothering to use all the paddles on the locks.  Admittedly if one of the paddles is broken you can't do it, but all working paddles should be used.

On the whole of the Rochdale (not just the 9) I often only use one paddle unless I have at least 3 crew as with access across the lock at only one end it's a bit of a walk round to open and close on the other side. It's generally fine and reasonably quick, unless you have a leaky lock or water over the gates.

• Greenie 1

Dear David, how very kind of you to give me so much detail. its a great help. I feel a lot more assured now and plan to put my big girl pants on and tackle this lot. 6 years ago I woukd not have been daunted. but hopefully the knack will come back quickly.

all the best and thanks again.

hello everyone and thank you for all the advice. we made it through without a hitch. took 3 hours 30 mins. thanks so much for the encouragement and especial thanks to David Mack for the detailed instructions. met some delightful chatacters...having a few early drinks at lock 91 who toasted my wonderfulness, cheered me on and threatened to steal me from my husband if he didnt treat me well. so funny but very hard work. but I did it. 

• Greenie 3

17 minutes ago, Capey_k said:

hello everyone and thank you for all the advice. we made it through without a hitch. took 3 hours 30 mins. thanks so much for the encouragement and especial thanks to David Mack for the detailed instructions. met some delightful chatacters...having a few early drinks at lock 91 who toasted my wonderfulness, cheered me on and threatened to steal me from my husband if he didnt treat me well. so funny but very hard work. but I did it. 

Great!  Its a pleasurable trip if you accept the location and the people who are "different".

On 26/08/2020 at 12:29, TheBiscuits said:

It's a lot less trouble since CRT added a floating pontoon lock landing -  3 or 4 years ago I think.

When I went passed a boat moored on pontoon, on knocking on the boat for a word took one look and thought "I would rather stand naked in a covid 19 ward" as it was a health hazard, only got a grunt in reply from booze, drugs or both, I left him or her to it and went on my way. He was so close to the lock you could not use near side gate as then no room to get past and the off side was open and no way to get to it to close it as I was going up. Answer was to use nappy pin on a rope to hook the gate then, pull it closed.