Painting top of boat

Petalsnow

Featured Posts

Hello, We foolishly decided to paint our narrowboat roof and sides. Once you've completed the first primer coat and you have paint over the roof/sides/foot rail. How do you get to the roof without dirtying the paint? I'm not that short, but my arm still doesn't reach the centre of the roof for laying off/rollering.

Tips welcome!

13 minutes ago, Petalsnow said:

Hello, We foolishly decided to paint our narrowboat roof and sides. Once you've completed the first primer coat and you have paint over the roof/sides/foot rail. How do you get to the roof without dirtying the paint? I'm not that short, but my arm still doesn't reach the centre of the roof for laying off/rollering.

Tips welcome!

You will have to walk on the painted surface of the roof. Prep the roof for painting, clean off debris and dust, vacuum and tack cloth, or combination. Take your boots off (leave your boots off) and put some clean socks on. Keep a tack rag handy and another unused paint brush (3"). Wipe and brush as you work down the roof, the areas you are moving into. 

Edited by Higgs

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

You will have to walk on the painted surface of the roof. Prep the roof for painting, clean off debris and dust, vacuum and tack cloth, or combination. Take your boots off and put some clean socks on. Keep a tack rag handy and another unused paint brush. Wipe and brush as you work down the roof, the areas you are moving into. 

That makes a lot of sense. We were thinking socks might be the way forward. So you wouldn't suggest socks on the side of the boat leaning over?

5 minutes ago, Petalsnow said:

That makes a lot of sense. We were thinking socks might be the way forward. So you wouldn't suggest socks on the side of the boat leaning over?

No, you'll fall in. Just do the sides from a regular standing position, boots on now, obviously after you have done the roof. Work down. 

Edited by Higgs

2 minutes ago, Petalsnow said:

We have a walk way on either side right now!

Sorry, I might have misunderstood your last post. I prefer to paint the roof while on the roof. Trying to do it from one side then the other may result in poor blending. 

13 minutes ago, Petalsnow said:

I understand now. OK, thanks so much!

Work your way down the roof in 18" to 2' sections. Quickly brush paint into the gutters by the handrail, then roll between those margins. Roller the coat into an even coating. Use your brush to line up the paint and even coat out across the width between and including those margins. Using at least a 3", I'd say, brush the paint into the last section completed and lift off the pressure towards the end of the stroke, finishing all the painting in a lengthwise direction. Use the same technique on every coat and all your coats with be positioned in a similar fashion, running in the same direction. 

Edited by Higgs

What size roller would you use? We are using 4", but surprised with how long it takes - maybe we are just slow in comparison to others we have read about.

11 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Work your way down the roof in 18" to 2' sections. Quickly brush paint into the gutters by the handrail, then roll between those margins. Roller the coat into an even coating. Use your brush to line up the paint and even coat out across the width between and including those margins. Using at least a 3", I'd say, brush the paint into the last section completed and lift at the end of the stroke, finishing all the painting in a lengthwise direction. Use the same technique on every coat and all your coats with be positioned in a similar fashion, running in the same direction. 

1 hour ago, Petalsnow said:

What size roller would you use? We are using 4", but surprised with how long it takes - maybe we are just slow in comparison to others we have read about.

I probably would have used a 9", but I never seemed to have any, so most of my work was done with a 7" roller. 4" is not ideal on such an area, and adds time to the work; doesn't hold enough paint.  

Edited by Higgs