Boat index number question

KenM

Featured Posts

Greetings, We have just put an offer in on a 47ft cruiser stern Nb for my daughter. Before we signed on the dotted line I am trying to do some due diligence checks. It is recorded as a 2005 build (John White Boat builders) its condition and paperwork is consistent with that. 

My conundrum is that the CRT index number has 5 digits (55422). I understood that the current 6 digit numbers started in 1995 so we seem to be missing a number. Is it possible for someone to re-use an old number like a cherished number plate? 

Or is the boat older than it looks? 

Or is CRT's numbering system not consistent.... I might just have answered my own question! 

I’m no expert but whilst a boat can seem newer than it is if it came from non CRT waters and was then first registered with CRT many years later with a 6 digit number, I don’t think there is a way for a 2005 boat to have a 5 digit CRT number.

5 minutes ago, IanM said:

No boat comes up with the number 55422. 

Stick the name into this and it should tell you what the number should be https://canalplan.uk/boats/boats.php

Thanks Ian, yup I tried the Canalplan search and it doesn't come up with the index, nor the current name 'Ginny May', Nor the name engraved presumably at fit-out 'Carol Ann'

But it is recognised by  crts shop-a-boater licence checker

Edited by KenM
Additional information

Presumably you are getting some (RCD, Builders invoices, VAT paid certificate etc etc) paperwork ?

Check that the HIN (Hull Identification Number) on the paperwork matches that shown on the HIN CE plate on the boat.

The HIN should be made up of the manufacturers code and the year of manufacture.

Another check is to look at the fuel tank - the fuel tank MUST be marked with the pressure test conducted and the date of the test.

Any one of these will tell you the date of manufacture.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, IanM said:

No boat comes up with the number 55422. 

That's odd, because the CRT licence check confirms that it has a current  CRT licence.  

7 minutes ago, lepus said:

I think it will be a Bridgewater number.

See above - I'm thinking it's kosher with CRT

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably you are getting some (RCD, Builders invoices, VAT paid certificate etc etc) paperwork ?

Check that the HIN (Hull Identification Number) on the paperwork matches that shown on the HIN CE plate on the boat.

The HIN should be made up of the manufacturers code and the year of manufacture.

Another check is to look at the fuel tank - the fuel tank MUST be marked with the pressure test conducted and the date of the test.

Any one of these will tell you the date of manufacture.

Yup the HIN number ends H505.... Which looks promising. Thanks

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's odd, because the CRT licence check confirms that it has a current  CRT licence.  

See above - I'm thinking it's kosher with CRT

That's it! We've found a pic showing it has at sometime had a Bridgewater number B and 4 digits So the 55422 will be a reregistered Bridgewater number that CRT are using as though it twer theirs. 

Thank you all so much.... Case closed

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What is the full HIN ?

GB-RYA00617H505

2 minutes ago, KenM said:

That's it! We've found a pic showing it has at sometime had a Bridgewater number B and 4 digits So the 55422 will be a reregistered Bridgewater number that CRT are using as though it twer theirs. 

Thank you all so much.... Case closed

GB-RYA00617H505

Yup - built under the auspices of the RYA examiners/surveyors August 2005

The 00617 is the boat serial number.

The RYA is used where it is an 'small' boat builder and the RYA check the quality and specifications are complied with

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yup - built under the auspices of the RYA examiners/surveyors August 2005

The 00617 is the boat serial number.

The RYA is used where it is an 'small' boat builder and the RYA check the quality and specifications are complied with

Thanks, the index number was the one thing worrying me. Mystery solved and we are signing the contract tonight! 

Daughter has been looking for ages - very pleased this boat popped up in good condition at the right price. 

The 2nd hand market has gone insane in the last few weeks - I guess people wanting UK holidays or a post lock down change of life style. 

I know the OP has solved their issue, but in case others have similar queries .....

British Waterways messed about with their licence numbering around the mid-1990's. I'm not sure of the precise details but I gather that for a short period of time they temporarily abandoned the 6 digits and decided to use up some previously un-issued 5 digit numbers.

Our boat falls into this category. It was built in 1995 and has 5 digits but there are many boats older than ours which have 6 digits. We get comments from time to time from people congratulating us on how remarkable our boat's condition is considering it must be about 35 years old!

23 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Didn't they offer personalised numbers like the DVLA at a price

Only to one D (call me Dave) Fletcher who had 50000 on his first boat and 000001 on his 'udson.

N

This 5/6 digits question has had me vexed for a while. How can a 5 digit boat be immaculate and a 6 digit a scruffy wreck? Apart from care and attention. Now I know. OK - so what is this symbol on a 5 digit plate (on a very tidy boat).

IMG_20200821_112026.jpg