Its August. its raining. Its very Windy.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 01:09, Nightwatch said:

Stupid weather. I feel for hirers to be honest. But its hard going for me too.

Looking forward to my next Hire. But not this weather pattern. Warmer here in NZ and its mid winter . Think i'll pick September .

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Excellent application of Nudge theory that.

If you don't believe your government when they tell you to evacuate, don't expect them to be able to help you later but do try and make it easier to identify your corpse ... 

Some will just not believe it as they have with other things

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

In the single skin living area, bedroom is dry and to be fair to Vango it's only when the wind blows hard and shakes it.

I loved my Vango four seasons, has a wee area just rught for a stove or lantern, quick drying too.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I loved my Vango four seasons, has a wee area just rught for a stove or lantern, quick drying too.

I have a modern Vango Airbeam tent, it stood up the storm earlier in the week no problem, a few times the wind was so fierce that the roof came down and hit my head but it bounced straight back up when the wind dropped.

After this weeks weather I really can't fault Vango tents.

8 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

In the single skin living area, bedroom is dry and to be fair to Vango it's only when the wind blows hard and shakes it.

Respect to you for not giving up, packing up and going home.

Looks like we are in for another bout of heavy rain later this morning and into tonight. Looks like it will be a cool day as well. Highs of 14 degrees where we are!

ETA: We have in the past been out in some rubbish weather in our smaller Vango four seasons tent including snow and bad storms. Not sure we would find it quite so enjoyable now.

We bought a bigger Vango tent last year (Tigress 500) with the intention of doing a bit of camping while we found the right motorhome. That is still under the bed in the spare bedroom and has not even been out of the packaging yet!!

Edited by Naughty Cal

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Respect to you for not giving up, packing up and going home.

Looks like we are in for another bout of heavy rain later this morning and into tonight. Looks like it will be a cool day as well. Highs of 14 degrees where we are!

ETA: We have in the past been out in some rubbish weather in our smaller Vango four seasons tent including snow and bad storms. Not sure we would find it quite so enjoyable now.

We bought a bigger Vango tent last year (Tigress 500) with the intention of doing a bit of camping while we found the right motorhome. That is still under the bed in the spare bedroom and has not even been out of the packaging yet!!

Having seen the thousands of tents that have been here over the last two years I suggest you buy that motorhome. Proper hard though most of the tent brigade, even when its bouncing down with rain they flock to the bar for a beer lol. Going to be rammed here again this weekend but even in the bad weather still they will come.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Having seen the thousands of tents that have been here over the last two years I suggest you buy that motorhome. Proper hard though most of the tent brigade, even when its bouncing down with rain they flock to the bar for a beer lol. Going to be rammed here again this weekend but even in the bad weather still they will come.

The motorhome is on hold for now. No point getting it at the moment when we can't do the trips that we want to do with it :rolleyes:

We are determined that we will get one though once Covid has slung it's hook.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Hammered down with rain again this morning but the sun is out now so time to wander into Canterbury 

You must be getting better weather than us then. Currently chucking it down, predicted to get heavier from 11am to 5pm and then light rain forecast for the rest of the evening into the following morning.

We have friends heading up the Trent from Torksey to Newark today. Glad we couldn't get the day off work to join them now!!

32 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Sat in the tent as its chucking it down, so this afternoon entertainment is watching the puddles form in the fabric before it runs off.

Exciting isn't it 

When the sun comes out you can watch the puddles dry for extra entertainment!

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It was chucking it down as we came past you yesterday so we kept going, might stop on the way back.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

It was chucking it down as we came past you yesterday so we kept going, might stop on the way back.

Must have been your good self that i dodged in to low hanging trees to pass. Just getting nearer to Morrisons for stuff one of us forgot the day before. Winded at the Tramway. We moored very near the Pig Place hopelessly waiting for the rain to stop and the bar to open. We are now at Somerton for the Weekend.

Yesterday, Aynho. Yet again, started to rain. And my goodness did it rain? For about twenty minutes. Then eased off, and hey presto! out come the sun. Summer again.

We set off, And as the old saying goes, if its not raining, its going to. And sure enough, down it came again.

As I've mentioned before, its August for goodness sake!!!

Just preparing to light the stove. Bloomin cold, so it is. Only got one shovel of coal, but will take the dampness out of the air. Got family arriving today, got to look after the landlubbers.

Edited by Nightwatch

Not raining here but the clouds are moving fast . Sunny at the moment . Central heating at home cut in earlier this morning due to low temperature  . Wife may have altered settings  - will have to put a stop to that !

Boating -  tomorrow will  perhaps. be a better day and Monday to Wednesday looks pleasant weather if a little cool for the time of year .

We are sat toasty warm on the back of the boat with some coffee trying to find some enthusiasm to set off and head to Torksey to lock out onto the Trent and head to Dunham.

Struggling to find the enthusiasm to unplug the umbilical cord and head out into the cold if I'm honest. Not even the lure of a good curry tonight is helping.

On 26/08/2020 at 11:34, WotEver said:

I love the Irish sense of humour. 

If I had said that bad word [a noun used as an  expletive] Athy would be down on  me like a tonne of bricks/feathers!

Edited by LadyG

12 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Must have been your good self that i dodged in to low hanging trees to pass. Just getting nearer to Morrisons for stuff one of us forgot the day before. Winded at the Tramway. We moored very near the Pig Place hopelessly waiting for the rain to stop and the bar to open. We are now at Somerton for the Weekend.

I knew you were there so left the bar closed as we dont tolerate riff raff here ?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are sat toasty warm on the back of the boat with some coffee trying to find some enthusiasm to set off and head to Torksey to lock out onto the Trent and head to Dunham.

Struggling to find the enthusiasm to unplug the umbilical cord and head out into the cold if I'm honest. Not even the lure of a good curry tonight is helping.

The river levels info indicates about a metre of fresh on at Torksey today so I guess, in terms of depth over cill,  you can go any time providing  there is a lock keeper on duty.

I understand you have to pre-book Torksey lock at the moment  to be certain of a lock keeper being present?  

I know Cromwell has to be booked the day before - if no boats are expected there may be no lock keeper on duty.  Pre booking has always been a rule  for the tidal locks but has never really been necessary in practice for Torksey and Cromwell  until this year with Covid restrictions being given as the reason. 

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If I had said that bad word [a noun used as an  expletive] Athy would be down on  me like a tonne of bricks/feathers!

Good job you didn't, then ;)

Oh, and a preposition is a very bad word to end a sentence with...