Suggestions for a different route

Dan1981

Featured Posts

As a regular hire boater always holidaying for a week in late May we (crew of between 5 and 8 ) have done various routes over the many years, the crew don't like out and back trips as it covers old ground, but I'm struggling to find a route for next year. We've done all the major 1 week rings (4 counties, cheshire , stourport, avon,  warwickshire, we've also done the llangollen, K&A and Huddersfield Broad & Narrow.

Can anyone suggest a good ring that I may have missed, or a oneway trip (most boat companies don't offer 1 way trips)?  

I would like to do the leicester ring/east midlands circuit or south of England circuit but we're limited to one week.

Any suggestions will be greatly received (especially if you have done it and can recommend a hire base) and I realise I ask a tall order! 

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have you thought of hiring from Fox's (good firm) and going round the Middle Level Navigations? They are often remote and not always exciting, but it would be a new experience.  

I hadn't to be honest, thanks for that I''ll look in to them

49 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Shire Cruisers do one way trips, as you've done the Hudds perhaps L&L or Rochdale?

https://www.shirecruisers.co.uk/routes/one-way-canal-routes.php

edit: just noticed L&L is out due to Figure of 3 locks ?

Shire Cruisers are a good company, we did the Hudds with them, Rochdale might be a good call

1 hour ago, Dan1981 said:

As a regular hire boater always holidaying for a week in late May we (crew of between 5 and 8 ) have done various routes over the many years, the crew don't like out and back trips as it covers old ground, but I'm struggling to find a route for next year. We've done all the major 1 week rings (4 counties, cheshire , stourport, avon,  warwickshire, we've also done the llangollen, K&A and Huddersfield Broad & Narrow.

Can anyone suggest a good ring that I may have missed, or a oneway trip (most boat companies don't offer 1 way trips)?  

I would like to do the leicester ring/east midlands circuit or south of England circuit but we're limited to one week.

Any suggestions will be greatly received (especially if you have done it and can recommend a hire base) and I realise I ask a tall order! 

Why not try something different like Ireland Scotland - have done both and they are great options 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

Why not try something different like Ireland Scotland

Good suggestion, thank you. I like the idea of Scotland - especially the Falkirk wheel! but again i think this will be an out and back, or do they do one way hire up there? Irish waterways I don't know much about, do they have a canal network or is it river waterways?

14 minutes ago, Dan1981 said:

Good suggestion, thank you. I like the idea of Scotland - especially the Falkirk wheel! but again i think this will be an out and back, or do they do one way hire up there? Irish waterways I don't know much about, do they have a canal network or is it river waterways?

Caley Cruisers who are on the Caledonian Canal state they DO NOT do one way, not sure if other hirers are available.

i've always fancied having a go at it, Loch Ness, Neptune's Staircase etc. but SWMBO says no :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Caley Cruisers who are on the Caledonian Canal state they DO NOT do one way, not sure if other hirers are available.

i've always fancied having a go at it, Loch Ness, Neptune's Staircase etc. but SWMBO says no :(

Why does she say no? It's a wonderful trip, especially going the length of Loch Ness.  But you'd have to stop at Neptune's Staircase because hire boaters aren't allowed.

Can't help with a ring suggestion, but what about cruising the upper Thames to Lletchlade. Anglo Welsh hire boats up to twelve berth from their Oxford base. If the river is in flood, then you are looking at an out and back cruise on the South Oxford. You Tube have a recent trip "report". 

Shire Cruisers web site shows that they will be doing one-way cruises on the Leeds-Liverpool from spring next year when Figure of three locks on the Calder & Hebble is repaired, but the boat they use is a 56' maximum 6 berth that starts on a Monday which may not suite your crew.

There are numerous rings available in the West Midlands although none that will be entirely different from what you have previously done. You can mix and match the following as you choose:

Black Country Ring: Aldersley - Birmingham - Fazeley - Great Haywood - Aldersley
Droitwich Ring: Hanbury - Hawford - Diglis - Hanbury

Birmingham - Kings Norton - Kingswood - Bordesley - Aston - Birmingham
Birmingham - Pudding Green - Ocker Hill - Perry Barr - Salford - Aston - Birmingham

Dudley Port - Stourton - Aldersley Jn - (Tipton - Brades -) Dudley Port

Birmingham - Horseley Fields - Pelsall - Catshill - Rushall - Salford - Aston - Birmingham

There are others if you study maps and many of the above combine with some of the more interesting parts of the BCN such as Titford pools. Not everyone’s cup of tea but you shouldn’t automatically discount the lesser traveled parts of the BCN if you’re not familiar with them.

Nonetheless a one way with Shire Cruisers sounds appealing. Like you I preferred not to retrace steps when hiring but not always possible if you want to see different canals.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

33 minutes ago, arbutus said:

Shire Cruisers web site shows that they will be doing one-way cruises on the Leeds-Liverpool from spring next year when Figure of three locks on the Calder & Hebble is repaired, but the boat they use is a 56' maximum 6 berth that starts on a Monday which may not suite your crew.

Thanks Arbutus, I think it might be Shire again, and will have to cut down on the crew, I do find their website confusing though, may have to call them and see what they can do ? PS thanks for the link to the Foxes, I do enjoy their videos! :) 

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

It is a beautiful set of waters to cruise. By far and away our favourite we have done so far. But we did it on our own boat so did the full length including the flight at Inverness and the flight at Neptune's which hire boats are not allowed to do.

Brilliant trip and we will hire up there again. Even though it is an out and back trip there is plenty to see and do both ways.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

There are numerous rings available in the West Midlands

Thanks JP, Yes we've done the black country too, forgot to mention that one! and a fair bit round the BCN still a fair bit of the network I'm yet to colour in on my map though! Problem with the BCN is the hire companies get a bit tetchy with having their boats moored round there unless you're in Gas St! Remember having a joke with one boat yard when I remarked that I was fully aware of their  "Pink Map of Death" showing where you shouldn't moor!

10 hours ago, fatmanblue said:

the 'best' canals can be off the 'rings'

Agreed, unfortunately my crew don't like out and back trips as they feel they are heading home from the holiday when we wind. Personally I just love being on the water and want to cover the entire network! 

23 minutes ago, Dan1981 said:

Agreed, unfortunately my crew don't like out and back trips as they feel they are heading home from the holiday when we wind. Personally I just love being on the water and want to cover the entire network! 

You need to be having words with the crew then as you will be missing some good cruising grounds.

16 hours ago, Dan1981 said:

Thanks JP, Yes we've done the black country too, forgot to mention that one! and a fair bit round the BCN still a fair bit of the network I'm yet to colour in on my map though! Problem with the BCN is the hire companies get a bit tetchy with having their boats moored round there unless you're in Gas St! Remember having a joke with one boat yard when I remarked that I was fully aware of their  "Pink Map of Death" showing where you shouldn't moor!

We covered all of the BCN in the 80s on hireboats from Alvechurch. Only wish digital cameras were around then as I was limited as to how many photos I could take due to cost.

15 hours ago, fatmanblue said:

I've found that the 'best' canals can be off the 'rings'...

Lancaster

Caldon

Gloucester and Sharpness

I agree, and a canal can look very different when retracing your steps.

It also gives you the opportunity to stop at pubs that were closed on the way out from base. ?