Width of walkway down one side of your narrowboat

Warthog

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Chooglin said:

...  I’ll be having a walkway right down the starboard side ..

I've not thought about this before, but if you have a walkway all along the starboard side, with everything else (stove, galley, bathroom, beds, storage etc ) either centre or to port, does it lead to any issues with ballasting the boat, and/or a tendency to steer to one side?

Just now, Cheese said:

I've not thought about this before, but if you have a walkway all along the starboard side, with everything else (stove, galley, bathroom, beds, storage etc ) either centre or to port, does it lead to any issues with ballasting the boat, and/or a tendency to steer to one side?

No - you just ask your missus to sleep in the corridor...  ;)

(Nothing that you can't correct for, but if the bed and bathroom corridor is starboard side, why not put the saloon furniture that side too to compensate?)

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Yes things like that must be paid attention to..there will be some things on the the starboard after the galley.. furniture, stove , radiator ect .. but the ballast will be adjusted for that anyway by removing slabs from the port side .. 

26 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Stove on the starboard side tends to mean that the chimney is more likely to catch on a bridge/tunnel roof, or overhanging vegetation etc

That’s true yes but I’m into going to be travelling up and down the canal much .. it’s going to be in the Forth and Clyde canal .. lowland scotland .. the canals here are really quite wide for the most part .. very little traffic on them...the canals aren’t nearly as complex as the ones down south with all sorts of obstacles.. when I am out and about I’ll just need to take care .. you can’t even use the locks up here by yourself.. canal staff have to work them for you and you need to call ahead and notify them when you are on the move towards a lock .. aye .. a total farse lol

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

No - you just ask your missus to sleep in the corridor...  ;)

(Nothing that you can't correct for, but if the bed and bathroom corridor is starboard side, why not put the saloon furniture that side too to compensate?)

??

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

That sounds as though it will be okay for you ... but when you eventually come to sell, it might be more difficult to find a buyer (other than those who are happy to keep it in Scotland)

If they can be arsed moving the boat down to England then surly they won’t mind moving a stove from starboard to port side haha ?.. surly we aren’t to live in our boats totally worried about what the next person thinks of it ? It will be my boat for now .. not somebody else’s .. you could make that argument for everything .. the length and shape of your boat , the colour , the fixtures , the windows , electrics , engine .absolutely anything.. 

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It will be interesting putting a new mattress in through a 15" hole or even changing the sheets 

I didn’t say it was going to be a 15” hole .. why is everyone on this got a problem with everyone else’s plans .. few people actually say anything to help .. that’s all I’ve been asking for .. a little help for someone new to boating trying to make plans .. that’s zero help mate .. just keep your negativity to yourself please ?you do your thing .. I’ll do mine 

Edited by Chooglin

16 minutes ago, Chooglin said:

I didn’t say it was going to be a 15” hole .. why is everyone on this got a problem with everyone else’s plans .. few people actually say anything to help .. that’s all I’ve been asking for .. a little help for someone new to boating trying to make plans .. that’s zero help mate .. just keep your negativity to yourself please ?you do your thing .. I’ll do mine 

You are right and I apologies he said " I’ll have a ply 18mm ply wall right up the side of the bed from floor to ceiling with a crawl in hole to get in and out " and then talks about it only needing to be 15" but I see its going to be 4ft X 2ft hole. I still wouldn't want to try to change the mattress

1 hour ago, Chooglin said:

Perhaps the comments are being made because those who have some experience of living on narrow boats can see some of the problems that your plans could produce. 
And I do wonder what experience you have of a narrow boat; perhaps you could tell us?

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

Stove on the starboard side tends to mean that the chimney is more likely to catch on a bridge/tunnel roof, or overhanging vegetation etc

In my representative sample of three boats (the ones I have owned, part-owned, or own) fitting a stove on the starboard side is universal.

(Although I'd call it the right-hand side, not being of a faux-nautical mindset)

The top half of the ply will be removable .. just need to remove some screws..so  removing a mattress won’t be a real problem.. I was just asking if the RCD would see it as a risk regarding getting out of the boat in an emergency situation.. if it is I’ll have a exit hatch put in overhead .. but I would rather not .. I can’t for the life of me find the minimum size of opening required by RCD ?.. the BSS say more about it and it sounds like it will be ok with them but I know they don’t have the last say on it .. does anybody know the minimum size RCD would allow? Is 4ft by 2 or 3ft ok ?? 

I had Said on some other posts that I’m having my first narrowboat built soon by S. Jackson and sons .. I’ve been in a few boats but never had my own .. im totally new to this and I’ve had so much to read up on and learn 

. my head is bursting lol worst case I just remove the panel.. I just thought it would be nice .. I like spaces like that .. I totally understand that others might hate it   

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

In my representative sample of three boats (the ones I have owned, part-owned, or own) fitting a stove on the starboard side is universal.

(Although I'd call it the right-hand side, not being of a faux-nautical mindset)

Yeah .. I’ve seen lots with them on the starboard side .. I’m doing that because I’ll be having a heat exchanger on the back of the stove to feed a radiator in the hall 

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Maybe it says more about your preferred saloon (lounge ;)) layout than standard narrowboat layout.

A flue to port doesn't get knocked off by overgrown offside trees or bridge holes assuming you are on the correct side of the waterway when meeting an oncoming boat ...

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe it says more about your preferred saloon (lounge ;)) layout than standard narrowboat layout.

A flue to port doesn't get knocked off by overgrown offside trees or bridge holes assuming you are on the correct side of the waterway when meeting an oncoming boat ...

I think it just says the position of the stove was never going to be important! One was right at the front of the saloon, one was in the middle of the rear saloon (reverse layout) and one is half-way along the boat, at the back end of the saloon. It also depends how tall your chimley is.

13 minutes ago, Chooglin said:

The top half of the ply will be removable .. just need to remove some screws..so  removing a mattress won’t be a real problem.. I was just asking if the RCD would see it as a risk regarding getting out of the boat in an emergency situation.. if it is I’ll have a exit hatch put in overhead .. but I would rather not .. I can’t for the life of me find the minimum size of opening required by RCD ?.. the BSS say more about it and it sounds like it will be ok with them but I know they don’t have the last say on it .. does anybody know the minimum size RCD would allow? Is 4ft by 2 or 3ft ok ?? 

I had Said on some other posts that I’m having my first narrowboat built soon by S. Jackson and sons .. I’ve been in a few boats but never had my own .. im totally new to this and I’ve had so much to read up on and learn 

. my head is bursting lol worst case I just remove the panel.. I just thought it would be nice .. I like spaces like that .. I totally understand that others might hate it   

Yeah .. I’ve seen lots with them on the starboard side .. I’m doing that because I’ll be having a heat exchanger on the back of the stove to feed a radiator in the hall 

And I think that is exactly why people are trying to HELP you and show that some of your "ideas" are likely to cause you more problems that you haven't foreseen. 

A good example: people don't "hate" having stoves on the that side, but what they know is that having the chimney there can and does result in putting it at risk of being knocked off and damaged. 
And "heat exchangers" are called boilers!

I suggest that before you start designing the interior of your boat you visit other boats and talk to owners about how and why things are laid out as they are

Edited by Graham Davis

5 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

And I think that is exactly why people are trying to HELP you and show that some of your "ideas" are likely to cause you more problems that you haven't foreseen. 

A good example: people don't "hate" having stoves on the that side, but what they know is that having the chimney there can and does result in putting it at risk of being knocked off and damaged. 
And "heat exchangers" are called boilers!

I’ve been a heating engineer for 15 years or so .. you can call it a boiler if you like .. but technically that is a heat exchanger in a stove 

Edited by Chooglin

1 minute ago, Chooglin said:

I’ve been a heating engineer for 15 years or so .. you can call it a boiler if you like .. but technically that a heat exchanger 

Technically, have you in fact been a heating fitter?

(I agree it's a heat exchanger, but by the same token, the thing stuck in your diesel exhaust system is an attenuator, or possibly a muffler, but it is still  called a silencer.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thank you for reinforcing my point!

What on earth are you talking about? !!! It was you that picked holes in what I called it !! I called it a “heat exchanger”.. you thought you where being smart by trying to correct me by saying it’s called a “boiler “ and now you are saying you can call it meany things ??? Then why the hell did you start an argument about me calling it a heat exchanger in the first place ?? What is wrong with you ??

• Sad 1
  • Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

In my representative sample of one boat, fitting a stove and flue on the port side is universal.

What exactly does that prove?

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

In my representative sample of one boat, fitting a stove and flue on the port side is universal.

What exactly does that prove?

Wowww another one .. why does everyone on canal world take any opportunity to dismiss and belittle people .. another bully .. this place is full of your kind .. take it somewhere els and leave the guy alone .. sick to death of it ?