Notice Alert

New Junction Canal
Starts At: Don Aqueduct
Ends At: Don Aqueduct

Monday 24 August 2020 15:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Information

Original message:

Due to weather warnings of heavy rainfall the Don Aqueduct will be closed from 15:30 today.

This will be reviewed tomorrow morning and the notice will be updated accordingly.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/18186/don-aqueduct

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Notice Alert

Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigations
Starts At: Doncaster Lock
Ends At: Doncaster Lock

Monday 24 August 2020 15:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Information

Original message:

Due to the closure of the Don Aqueduct due to expected heavy rainfall, Doncaster Lock will also be closed for navigation.

This will be reviewed tomorrow morning and the notice will be updated accordingly.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/18187/doncaster-lock

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

There used to be a video somewhere on the net showing those guillotine gates being used in anger but I'm blowed if I can find it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've just looked at Doncaster on BBC Weather and it shows no heavy rainfall today, though it forecasts some, with thundery accompaniment, tomorrow.

Yes. I'm surprised that they have taken the decision to shut the navigation based on the weather forecast. There are several hours of heavy rain forecast for tomorrow and high winds but you wouldn't think enough to warrant shutting the gates.  

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes. I'm surprised that they have taken the decision to shut the navigation based on the weather forecast. There are several hours of heavy rain forecast for tomorrow and high winds but you wouldn't think enough to warrant shutting the gates.  

It is strange only seen them closed once myself

6 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Is the Don affected by the tide at the aqueduct, I think so, is that at the high range tomorrow allowing for low pressure from the storm.

It is yes however both the Don and the Rother have nowt much in them at the moment so fresh wont be an issue unless the rain is of biblical proportions!

6 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Is the Don affected by the tide at the aqueduct, I think so, is that at the high range tomorrow allowing for low pressure from the storm.

Yes.  tidal all the way to Doncaster 'Crimpsall' weir.  Also spring tides with low pressure..  Only saving grace is the SW wind.

It also means the C&RT staff can dash round doing water control at locks etc with the worry of the New Junction sending a tide topping across the flat land to poor old Fishlake.

13 minutes ago, Grebe said:

Yes.  tidal all the way to Doncaster 'Crimpsall' weir.  Also spring tides with low pressure..  Only saving grace is the SW wind.

It also means the C&RT staff can dash round doing water control at locks etc with the worry of the New Junction sending a tide topping across the flat land to poor old Fishlake.

Especially if the boys and girls in blue are short handed at the moment. I also thought it weird they were closing them today with no rain forecast overnight, but if they have fewer people to rush round tomorrow it makes a sort of sense, for CaRT values of sense. 

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1