Economy without OCD : gas

LadyG

Featured Posts

As an aside I watched a few of his videos during lockdown. It bugged me for several days until the penny dropped. I remember the boat being fitted out by it's original owner in Harefield Marina. Ron Hern, mentioned in one of the videos did much of the woodwork. Many's the beer Ron and I shared as he gave me advice on fitting out Vital Spark . 

Edited by Slim

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That's a new one on me, and my management is left handed! Neither of us has a difficulty with ordinary (ambidextrous?) pan handles. Scissors, crikey yes, "handed" versions make a real difference, but pan handles? 

pouring lip on one side only...

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, gas does do that when you light it!

I looked it up. For the benefit of others who had never heard of it, it stands for "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder", whatever that may be.

I like the chap's T-shirt.

sometimes its difficult to know if somebody is joking/being sarcastic or serious... on this forum...

recently somebody suggested a boat is going too fast in a timelapse video, prompting me to reply.... except he was joking... :)

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We put the oven on typically twice a day, once just to warm up bread for lunch, and then in the evening to heat dinner (we don’t have a microwave). Occasionally at breakfast to heat plates if we have cooked breakfast. We use electric kettle when cruising but gas kettle in the morning and evening. Saucepans as required for Heating soup for lunch and vegetables for dinner.

Although we are “part time” boaters we do go out for months at a time. We use about one 13kg cylinder a year. If we were full time I think it would be 3 x 13kg cylinders a year, or about £90. That equates to about 25p a day. I think you would have to be extremely tight on budget to want to cut down on an expense of 25p a day. Life is too short.

41.75 squids a cylinder now! calor know how to rip you off!!!

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We put the oven on typically twice a day, once just to warm up bread for lunch, and then in the evening to heat dinner (we don’t have a microwave). Occasionally at breakfast to heat plates if we have cooked breakfast. We use electric kettle when cruising but gas kettle in the morning and evening. Saucepans as required for Heating soup for lunch and vegetables for dinner.

Although we are “part time” boaters we do go out for months at a time. We use about one 13kg cylinder a year. If we were full time I think it would be 3 x 13kg cylinders a year, or about £90. That equates to about 25p a day. I think you would have to be extremely tight on budget to want to cut down on an expense of 25p a day. Life is too short.

We are much the same, use the oven, grill and rings to cook food that we want to eat and replace gas when needed although I can't recall the last time I changed a bottle.

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We are much the same, use the oven, grill and rings to cook food that we want to eat and replace gas when needed although I can't recall the last time I changed a bottle.

You've gone and done it now haven't you, it will now run out midway through that stew/roast and you won't notice until it's too late 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

You've gone and done it now haven't you, it will now run out midway through that stew/roast and you won't notice until it's too late 

Good job we have just eaten in the pub so it will only be boiling the kettle tonight.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

sometimes its difficult to know if somebody is joking/being sarcastic or serious... on this forum...

recently somebody suggested a boat is going too fast in a timelapse video, prompting me to reply.... except he was joking... :)

It does mean Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I did not know this.

I do like the T-shirt, as I enjoy seeing bees in our garden.

So, serious, fairly.

It has been too many months since the current bottle was hooked up, so I am expecting it to run out any day. Cooking tea tonight with it blowing a gale and sideways rain over the gas locker. Made it through without the oven and ring going out and tea has been eaten. Phew! 

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It has been too many months since the current bottle was hooked up, so I am expecting it to run out any day. Cooking tea tonight with it blowing a gale and sideways rain over the gas locker. Made it through without the oven and ring going out and tea has been eaten. Phew! 

It will run out while making the first cuppa in the morning.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

It will run out while making the first cuppa in the morning.

On electric hook up at the moment, so using the electric kettle. Bought earlier this year, along with an electric toaster. 13Kg bottles used to last three to four months. The current one has been on for over five now. No saving as I just spend the pennies on electric top ups instead, but it boils faster. Back on to the cooker top kettle when I go out. 

Roofing merchants are a good source of cheaper Calor cylinders in a variety of sizes, including the popular 13kg. Big savings on official Calor agents. 

Jen

• Greenie 1

On 24/08/2020 at 08:17, LadyG said:

We both use very little gas, I thought about it.

I rarely use oven as door needs new seal, instead I use cast iron pots [dutch oven] which retain heat, I turn off things like omelette before they are ready, I bring stuff to the boil then put on top of solid fuel stove to simmer gently, I use the quick rice method [boil up, turn off], all the dishes and cutlery and everything else get washed thoroughly when hot water fom cruising is available. 

I tend to use just one saucepan per meal, and sometimes just one soup bowl! 

It sounds very frugal and a bit miserable to me but each to their own, as long as you're happy.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The advantage of butane [blue bottles] is that it gives you warning, so you shake it all bout, and it lasts till morning.

In cold weather it sulks

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The advantage of butane [blue bottles] is that it gives you warning, so you shake it all bout, and it lasts till morning.

In cold weather it sulks

? What you hear is heavy ends which are left after the liquid has evaporated! Propane has it as well 

I know this because I converted over a thousand cars to LPG 

13 kg propane will last us about 4-5 weeks, supplying all cooking and a multipoint water heater. (If I were OCD, then I'd probably turn off the pilot light whilst the heater was not being used). How the cost compares with running the engine for hot water once the cauliflower has cooled, I don't know, and life is too short to worry about it.

I pay £26 per bottle, and rarely buy any away from home.  

On 25/08/2020 at 18:51, blackrose said:

It sounds very frugal and a bit miserable to me but each to their own, as long as you're happy.

I do the washing up, and I don't like it, nohing to do with economy!