Economy without OCD : gas

LadyG

Featured Posts

I watched Cruising the Cut on his costs over four years [youtube].

We both use very little gas, I thought about it.

I rarely use oven as door needs new seal, instead I use cast iron pots [dutch oven] which retain heat, I turn off things like omelette before they are ready, I bring stuff to the boil then put on top of solid fuel stove to simmer gently, I use the quick rice method [boil up, turn off], all the dishes and cutlery and everything else get washed thoroughly when hot water fom cruising is available. 

I tend to use just one saucepan per meal, and sometimes just one soup bowl! 

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We tried that for a while, but the custard didn't do much for the sprouts...  ;)

Uuurrrgghh! The very thought of it.....

Referring to the topic title, is "OCD" a type of gas? I haven't heard of it.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

People who are REALLY suffering from OCD will usually refer to it as CDO (that's much better as the letters are in alphabetical order)

That must be a clue. So it's not a gas?

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Uuurrrgghh! The very thought of it.....

Referring to the topic title, is "OCD" a type of gas? I haven't heard of it.

err no Athy, it's a Disorder, which in itself is anathema to those so afflicted.

Just now, Athy said:

That must be a clue. So it's not a gas?

.... getting warmer ...

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We tried that for a while, but the custard didn't do much for the sprouts...  ;)

You eat spotted dick before roast beef?

.................................... how weird ..............

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

.... getting warmer ...

Yes, gas does do that when you light it!

I looked it up. For the benefit of others who had never heard of it, it stands for "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder", whatever that may be.

I like the chap's T-shirt.

Worrying about gas use sounds very OCD to me. Not sure where the "without OCD" bit comes into this topic...........................

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, gas does do that when you light it!

I looked it up. For the benefit of others who had never heard of it, it stands for "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder", whatever that may be.

I like the chap's T-shirt.

I think its what makes you worry about how much gas a second ring on the hob will use ;)

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Worrying about gas use sounds very OCD to me. Not sure where the "without OCD" bit comes into this topic...........................

I think its what makes you worry about how much gas a second ring on the hob will use ;)

When I worked in The Ministry [MAFF], a colleague with OCD was able to get a refund on his electricity as the meter [clockwork style] jumped a 1000 units from one day to the next.

He married a lovely lady, but she could not live with it, I'm afraid.

PS Cruising the Cut spends £90 p.a. on clothing, not many folks update their spreadsheet to add on purchase of a pair of socks.

I don't like imbalance, eg pictures off the horizontal.

I'm not worried, just surprised how small tweaks make such a big difference ............. I might return to The Ministry, and start a New Balance Church for the Return of Sanity

Edited by LadyG

We put the oven on typically twice a day, once just to warm up bread for lunch, and then in the evening to heat dinner (we don’t have a microwave). Occasionally at breakfast to heat plates if we have cooked breakfast. We use electric kettle when cruising but gas kettle in the morning and evening. Saucepans as required for Heating soup for lunch and vegetables for dinner.

Although we are “part time” boaters we do go out for months at a time. We use about one 13kg cylinder a year. If we were full time I think it would be 3 x 13kg cylinders a year, or about £90. That equates to about 25p a day. I think you would have to be extremely tight on budget to want to cut down on an expense of 25p a day. Life is too short.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't like imbalance, eg pictures off the horizontal.

Nor me - if one of our pictures at home is hanging awry, I will straighten it. This because I feel (as most people surely do) that a row of pictures hanging straight looks neat and tidy. Are you suggesting that this is somehow a disorder? I'd say that letting them hang higgledy-piggledy would be a sign of slovenliness, which would be more akin to a disorder.

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

We put the oven on typically twice a day, once just to warm up bread for lunch, and then in the evening to heat dinner (we don’t have a microwave). Occasionally at breakfast to heat plates if we have cooked breakfast. We use electric kettle when cruising but gas kettle in the morning and evening. Saucepans as required for Heating soup for lunch and vegetables for dinner.

Although we are “part time” boaters we do go out for months at a time. We use about one 13kg cylinder a year. If we were full time I think it would be 3 x 13kg cylinders a year, or about £90. That equates to about 25p a day. I think you would have to be extremely tight on budget to want to cut down on an expense of 25p a day. Life is too short.

I'm just giving that as an example, it was not part of a Greater Plan, but in summer, I cook a lot less, but using the cast iron saucepans [LIDL £89.99] has changed my life, just like Cillit Bang in the 1990's................

Some on here have me marked 'as mad as a box of frogs' ...... who am I to disagree?

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nor me - if one of our pictures at home is hanging awry, I will straighten it. This because I feel (as most people surely do) that a row of pictures hanging straight looks neat and tidy. Are you suggesting that this is somehow a disorder? I'd say that letting them hang higgledy-piggledy would be a sign of slovenliness, which would be more akin to a disorder.

You know about the mathematica concept:               .....      'Normal Curve'

that can be applied to almost anything, 

so Normal Curve might start with OCD, everything in perfect order,, peak at straghtening pictures  [as you say 'like most people'], and tail off in complete chaos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

Edited by LadyG

I used to use 2/3 bottles a year and that included regular use of oven, now I've restarted my bread baking I use about 3/4 bottles a year, this includes the occasional cake and tray of biscuits,  considering how good the bread tastes I think it's a good deal

46 minutes ago, Athy said:

The price is surely a typo? LIDL are known as a budget-price shop.

There was a set of saucepans:

Three saucepans L,M,S

Milkpan for right-handed cooks

Frying pan

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

There was a set of saucepans:

Three saucepans L,M,S

Frying pan

That does sound more reasonable - your previous post suggested that the price was for just one pan.

I like the idea of LMS pans. I wonder if they come in LNER and GWR liveries too. The latter would surely appeal to at least one of our members.

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

That's a new one on me, and my management is left handed! Neither of us has a difficulty with ordinary (ambidextrous?) pan handles. Scissors, crikey yes, "handed" versions make a real difference, but pan handles? 

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

That's a new one on me, and my management is left handed! Neither of us has a difficulty with ordinary (ambidextrous?) pan handles. Scissors, crikey yes, "handed" versions make a real difference, but pan handles? 

A milkpan has a pouring spout on one side or the other or sometimes both.

If it's only one spout it's a "handed" pan, so can be awkward to use with the "wrong" hand.

Le-Creuset-Volcanic-Orange-Cast-Iron-Lid

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A milkpan has a pouring spout on one side or the other or sometimes both.

If it's only one spout it's a "handed" pan, so can be awkward to use with the "wrong" hand.

Le-Creuset-Volcanic-Orange-Cast-Iron-Lid

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs! I'd not spotted that one Biscuits, you clever old cookie!

Mind you, I'm struggling to think why a manufacturer able to make a pan with a pourer on one side can't manage to put one on the other side too... Out of pure devilment, I should think. ;)

We’ve got a gas fridge which eats a lot of gas in hot weather. With cooking we can get through a 13kg bottle in 3 weeks of living aboard. On the plus side we don’t need to worry too much about having lots of leisure batteries (no washing machine either). 

I have finally caved in and bought a portable 100w solar panel which I’ve calculated will save me about £10 per week in diesel in the summer as I don’t need to run the engine just to charge the battery up on days we don’t CC.