Cheshire boat painters

Featured Posts

So after reading up and watching the YouTube painting videos we started to rub down the paintwork on our 48ft boat was not long before reality soon started to kick in ........This is bloody hard work and theres a good reason a boat takes 4/6 weeks to be done correctly .. So we looking for a boat painter around Cheshire that does a first class job ?

I Googled "Cheshire boat painters" and got loads of hits, some small firms, some attached to marinas or boat builders.

I can't remember his name but the guy who paints for Braidbar at Poynton does a good job.

Hope you have Deeeeeeeep  pockets!

As you have found out its a lot of work, hence the high  prices, way over my resources.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I Googled "Cheshire boat painters" and got loads of hits, some small firms, some attached to marinas or boat builders.

I can't remember his name but the guy who paints for Braidbar at Poynton does a good job.

Hope you have Deeeeeeeep  pockets!

As you have found out its a lot of work, hence the high  prices, way over my resources.

Andy Russel?

1 hour ago, jaime66 said:

Don't think any boat painter are going to be cheap ,but its a hell of a job and its not like painting your bedroom lol ,but would love feedback from someone after using a painter ..

No point in recommending the gent who painted our boat because he retired a few years ago now.

We had her sprayed, not traditional, I know, and lacquered which I would recommend if you can afford it.

Had her done in 2010 and she is only now beginning to need attention in some areas, red paint especially.

The job took a month.

For a full back to metal repaint by a professional think £10K + for starters.

Our boat is 45'.

update 17.02.10 003.jpg

Update 20.02.10 004.jpg

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am reluctant to give personal recommendations  these days, been let down too many times. Even good guys can have off days and sometimes it is just the customers that don't suit.

Agree. A friend had his boat painted many years ago and it looked good, faded a bit many years later so I went to the same painter. it didn't last. he has since stopped painting boats because he feels that with todays materials he cant turn out work to the standard he would like.

Unless you get a cancellation the lead time will be 18 months or so.

It is hard, dirty prep work and very easy to mess up. I do a diff bit of my boat on a rolling annual programme. Ie manageable bites.

This year main roof, sidehatch lids, rear hatch and handrails. Plus revarnish the signwriting work. Just managed to get a late 3 day slot in wet dock to do the rear side panels, varnish handrails and retouch faded red pinstrip whilst in there.

Challenging work because lots of prep then hanging around for coats to dry and you cannot prep more or coats will contaminate with dust. Then worry about is it too hot to paint or too late to paint (dewpoint). Etc. Keeping things dry and clean etc. Fancy modern paints which if not applied properly can microblister, random blooms of pollen and flying ants etc etc. 

Edited by mark99