New Shelf with Conduit under - How?

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

.Looking at it, I would agree that I could remove the shelf with the trim attached.... however, there are other parts of the boat where I have been working on panels with similar trim, and where I have caught the trim and damaged it :( Hence my desire to make it removeable on its own.

Brass woodscrews in No2 and No3 sizes do seem to be widely available, but I don’t see anything longer than 1/2” which may be a problem unless your trim is very thin. Otherwise pin, punch and fill, which is a right faff.

12 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Brass woodscrews in No2 and No3 sizes do seem to be widely available, but I don’t see anything longer than 1/2” which may be a problem unless your trim is very thin. Otherwise pin, punch and fill, which is a right faff.

and all the slots inline

17 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Trim is 5mm. Ordered some of these 10mm x 2.5mm, on the basis that They can be part of the design, rather than trying to hide them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-Size-Bronze-Flat-Countersunk-Head-Self-Tapping-Thread-Screw-Hardware/233159323125?var=532641053751

41 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Trim is 5mm. Ordered some of these 10mm x 2.5mm, on the basis that They can be part of the design, rather than trying to hide them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-Size-Bronze-Flat-Countersunk-Head-Self-Tapping-Thread-Screw-Hardware/233159323125?var=532641053751

No slots

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No slots

Does that matter?

15 hours ago, springy said:

And "woodscrews" not "self tappers"

These were the only bronze effect screws I could find, to match the ones holding the shelf :) Will self tappers not hold in such a situation where there is no weight?

If I need to find a different screw, it’s not the end of the world - only a fiver.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

These were the only bronze effect screws I could find, to match the ones holding the shelf :) Will self tappers not hold in such a situation where there is no weight?

If I need to find a different screw, it’s not the end of the world - only a fiver.

self tappers have a more parallel thread  body and a short taper because they are intended to secure into relatively thin material (usually metal) and drive through the material, compared to woodscrews which tend to have long taper points to pull easier into thicker material. for what these have to hold i would expect the ones you have to be fine and they are already "in stock"

springy

• Greenie 1