Nicholson’s or Pearson's Guide Book?

Cardboard_Frog

Nicholson’s or Pearson's Guide Book Poll !  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Nicholson’s or Pearson's ?

• Nicholson’s
    • Pearson’s

Featured Posts

I’ve seen both Nicholson’s and Pearson’s waterway guides mentioned a lot on this forum as a handy thing to own , Just thought it’d be interesting to ask if people have a preference and if so why : o ) It seems Nicholson’s is good for pubs ( Leaving out the fact COVID probably means it’s more out of date quicker than their last books ) and Pearson’s has a good visual format ? Obviously buying both is presumably the best way to go , But at the moment , which would you check out first ! 
TIA x 

Both, but if I had to choose one, Nicholson. I think it is confusing the way north can be up, down, left or right in the Pearson ones. So Nicholson for planning, underpays, and to see how far it is from one place to another. But Pearson is good for a bit of local colour. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I am of a generation that can still read maps, and like to be able to see how local roads and towns interact with the canal route, so Nicholsons.

I use proper Ordnance Survey Mao's for that but I have to select the ones In need at the beginning of each year, leaving the rest in our sons loft.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Cardboard_Frog said:

I’ve seen both Nicholson’s and Pearson’s waterway guides mentioned a lot on this forum as a handy thing to own , Just thought it’d be interesting to ask if people have a preference and if so why : o ) It seems Nicholson’s is good for pubs ( Leaving out the fact COVID probably means it’s more out of date quicker than their last books ) and Pearson’s has a good visual format ? Obviously buying both is presumably the best way to go , But at the moment , which would you check out first ! 
TIA x 

Nicholsons show pubs open that closed long before any pandemic, including the Spanish flu one. ??

But I prefer them because of their OS style.

3 hours ago, Cardboard_Frog said:

TIA x 

I use both.  Pearsons is handy for planning because each page gives you the number of locks, the distance and the time taken to do that page. Both Pearsons and Nicholsons are to the same scale of 2" to the mile (3cm to 1 Km) so is useful to correlate each map.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nicholsons show pubs open that closed long before any pandemic, including the Spanish flu one. ??

But I prefer them because of their OS style.

Certainly old editions do but I reckon the reason that they are updated regularly has a lot to do with eliminating those hostelries that are no longer ..............