Engine breather pipe.

Madmark62

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Like the majority of the regulars on here I view the forum using the View New Content option. So I am presented with a list of new and updated threads by title, and I just click on the ones that interest me. I have no idea which sub forum section they are listed in.

and this thread shows how we need to be careful before making an off the cuff smart arse comment, as well as being prepared to apologise/eat some humble pie if we aren’t careful enough.

• Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Like the majority of the regulars on here I view the forum using the View New Content option. So I am presented with a list of new and updated threads by title, and I just click on the ones that interest me. I have no idea which sub forum section they are listed in.

If it doesnt show what sub forum its in, what is the point of having sub forums ?

17 minutes ago, Madmark62 said:

If it doesnt show what sub forum its in, what is the point of having sub forums ?

Once opened, below the subject is the sub forum it’s posted in.

ETA: In fact, it shows the sub forum in the list of new content threads.

Edited by Richard10002

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Once opened, below the subject is the sub forum it’s posted in.

ETA: In fact, it shows the sub forum in the list of new content threads.

Indeed it is. But in smaller font, and not very noticeable. As I said, I look at the thread title and click on those that interest me (without looking at where they have been posted). 

9 hours ago, Madmark62 said:

I've never seen the point in having sub forums. Makes it much more difficult to browse the forum if there wasn't a VNC function. I am not alone in this, as evidenced by the number of complaints when the VNC function stops working from time to time.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Indeed it is. But in smaller font, and not very noticeable. As I said, I look at the thread title and click on those that interest me (without looking at where they have been posted). 

I've never seen the point in having sub forums. Makes it much more difficult to browse the forum if there wasn't a VNC function. I am not alone in this, as evidenced by the number of complaints when the VNC function stops working from time to time.

I also use VNC, and rarely look at which sub forum a post is in and, mostly, it doesn’t matter.

However, in this case, someone made a smart arse response, which he/she thought was humorous, and which asked for the make of the engine amongst other things. I don’t think the response would have been the same if the poster had known which sub forum the OP was in.

I think we can learn that it might be a good idea to check the sub forum before posting a response, particularly if there is a chance of it being perceived incorrectly.

I think we can also learn that a quick apology can take the heat out of a situation like this.

• Unimpressed 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I also use VNC, and rarely look at which sub forum a post is in and, mostly, it doesn’t matter.

However, in this case, someone made a smart arse response, which he/she thought was humorous, and which asked for the make of the engine amongst other things. I don’t think the response would have been the same if the poster had known which sub forum the OP was in.

I think we can learn that it might be a good idea to check the sub forum before posting a response, particularly if there is a chance of it being perceived incorrectly.

I think we can also learn that a quick apology can take the heat out of a situation like this.

It was a uneccessarily sarcastic response, but the several "on topic" responses were designed to be helpful. Unfortunately, the OP has not helped his case by not thanking those contributors, and instead chose to launch an attack on the forum.

In response to the second highlighted comment, I wish that was true, one regular poster often chooses to treat other regular posters with unhelpfull sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It was a uneccessarily sarcastic response, but the several "on topic" responses were designed to be helpful. Unfortunately, the OP has not helped his case by not thanking those contributors, and instead chose to launch an attack on the forum.

.In response to the second highlighted comment, I wish that was true, one

regular poster

often chooses to treat other regular posters with unhelpfull sarcasm

Who would that be please?

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I do not play that game, but those who have been subjected to their sarcasm will know to whom I am referring. Be reassured, it is not you.

Thank you, I try to be humorous.

If I was to be sarcastic, which I would avoid, than the recipient would be in no doubt.

The reason I asked what make his BMC engine was is simple. There are 3 Land Rover diesel engines and 2 Taxi engines that were all made by BMC. However the Land Rover ones do not say BMC on them apart from the cryptic casting marks, "MOWOG" and the Taxi ones can say a number of 'Makers' depending on year of manufacture of the cab.

I have no precise knowledge of the crankcase breathers on any of these engines. There are considerable variations.

Further he mentions an air filter, many 1.5D and 1.8D  engines do not have any filter fitted but all the Land Rover and Taxi engines have dedicated air cleaners.

I am surprised that my attempt at humour caused him and some others concern, perhaps I should have asked him if he was daft and self important enough to think he was the only person in the world with a BMC engine in a boat.

I try to be nice but as I have recently been told that my skin cancer has metastasized  into an inoperable brain tumour I am not at my best now.

47 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thank you, I try to be humorous.

If I was to be sarcastic, which I would avoid, than the recipient would be in no doubt.

The reason I asked what make his BMC engine was is simple. There are 3 Land Rover diesel engines and 2 Taxi engines that were all made by BMC. However the Land Rover ones do not say BMC on them apart from the cryptic casting marks, "MOWOG" and the Taxi ones can say a number of 'Makers' depending on year of manufacture of the cab.

I have no precise knowledge of the crankcase breathers on any of these engines. There are considerable variations.

Further he mentions an air filter, many 1.5D and 1.8D  engines do not have any filter fitted but all the Land Rover and Taxi engines have dedicated air cleaners.

I am surprised that my attempt at humour caused him and some others concern, perhaps I should have asked him if he was daft and self important enough to think he was the only person in the world with a BMC engine in a boat.

I try to be nice but as I have recently been told that my skin cancer has metastasized  into an inoperable brain tumour I am not at my best now.

I understand your point but do not wish to add or make any further comment.

On a more serious note, I am sorry to learn of your medical issues, and do have some understanding, as I survived major cancer Surgery ten years ago, and my wife had a large (fortunately benign) brain tumor removed about nine years ago. I assume that the only long term treatment they will be able to offer is pain relief, and palliative care.

One final point, you only joined the forum under your current name a few months ago, but given the range of subjects you contribute towards, I suspect that you are a "re-badged" former member. A few names come to mind but are you going to reveal yourslf?

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I understand your point but do not wish to add or make any further comment.

On a more serious note, I am sorry to learn of your medical issues, and do have some understanding, as I survived major cancer Surgery ten years ago, and my wife had a large (fortunately benign) brain tumor removed about nine years ago. I assume that the only long term treatment they will be able to offer is pain relief, and palliative care.

One final point, you only joined the forum under your current name a few months ago, but given the range of subjects you contribute towards, I suspect that you are a "re-badged" former member. A few names come to mind but are you going to reveal yourslf?

Doesn't seem much point now, I won't be around long enough now. I'm no longer who I thought I was anyway.

Thanks for the concern David. There is no hope I'm afraid. Radiation treatment would  in all probability rob me of my faculties, not prepared  to accept that.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Doesn't seem much point now, I won't be around long enough now. I'm no longer who I thought I was anyway.

Thanks for the concern David. There is no hope I'm afraid. Radiation treatment would  in all probability rob me of my faculties, not prepared  to accept that.

Very sorry to hear that Tracy, I will be thinking of you. I hope I will be bale to make such a brave decision if and when my time comes.

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am very sorry to hear that, I hope that they make life for you as comfortable as possible, if you are who I think you are it makes it even sadder.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1