Engine breather pipe.

Madmark62

Featured Posts

Hi, I have had a look on here and I cannot find the answer so , here goes, What is the size of pipe I need for the engine breather pipe? The one from the top of the engine that goes to the air filter housing. Mine has got a crack in it and like a fool I forgot to measure the diameter before coming home and its a hour trip to the boat. I know that the good people on here are very knowledgeable nad I am hoping someone could help me. 

Thanks  Mark

I have gazed long into my crystal ball but cannot see your engine or a breather pipe.

Is it a secret or do you think that members of this forum are all psychic?

Not being unpleasant but give us a chance, describe the engine make and model, even go mad and post a photograph if possible.

I do see that you are at home with your slippers on so that may be difficult.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

I have gazed long into my crystal ball but cannot see your engine or a breather pipe.

Not being unpleasant but give us a chance, describe the engine make and model, even go mad and post a photograph if possible.

I suppose the fact that it was posted in the BMC forum went over your head. Don't EVER answer any of my questions. Although it's not likely that I would ask any questions on this forum after a similar sort of answer a few years ago from another "expert."

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I suppose the fact that it was posted in the BMC forum went over your head. Don't EVER answer any of my questions. Although it's not likely that I would ask any questions on this forum after a similar sort of answer a few years ago from another "expert."

Just a gut feel but this type of response will almost certainly see this thread tumbling to the bottom of the postings list with no further assistance being offered by members.

Perhaps you would be better served by a mobile engineer that can visit your boat and advise (and bill) you accordingly based on their "expert" advice.  Worth bearing in mind that the good ones are always fully booked so you may have to wait a while though.

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Its an internet forum. Like all such beasts, one person's flippancy is another person's idea of a personal attack.  TD reinterated the eternal refrain of this forum "Give us more info and it will be easier for us to help you" a little more strongly than strictly necessary, so you jump on him a little more strongly than necessary.  Can't we all relax a bit?

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I've had a look in my crystal ball and can tell you that it is a BMC 1500. I guess Mark was hoping that there is a standard size for BMC engines in general, or his 1500 in particular.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Madmark62 said:

Hi, I have had a look on here and I cannot find the answer so , here goes, What is the size of pipe I need for the engine breather pipe? The one from the top of the engine that goes to the air filter housing. Mine has got a crack in it and like a fool I forgot to measure the diameter before coming home and its a hour trip to the boat. I know that the good people on here are very knowledgeable nad I am hoping someone could help me. 

Thanks  Mark

From recollction the rubber tube is half an inch internal diameter, but don't worry too much about it not being in place, all it does is allow any oil floating around to be released into the air filter, which has an oil soaked mesh in it. Without the rubber pipe the oil will fall onto the engine and make a bit of a mess, and the air filter may dry out a little, but in my experience the engine will not notice that it missing.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Madmark62 said:

Thanks  Mark

Any use?

http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/downloads/bmc1500L-diesel-workshop-manual.pdf

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I looked at that but could not find anything about the breather pipe. The arrangement cam[n  vary from one engine to another. On the 1.5 in Helvetia, the rocker cover breather had been removed and the hole blanked off, instead there was a breather pope from one of the tappet chamber covers which wnt to the air filter.

1781578597_25EngineGearbox02.JPG.54f006e4a30018253b4aff8768e98692.JPG

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Now we know, BMC 1.5D.  Its 1/2" rubber hose.  If it doesn't vent properly there is a crude mesh filter inside the front side cover over where the pipe comes out that may need cleaning.

He says top of the engine so I suspect he means rocker cover or even oil filler (Ford like) otherwise he would have said side of the engine. Still abut 1/2" hose though.

This means that unless someone has changed the side cover he needs to take  the one with the breather off and ensure the gauze/oil mist strap is clean.  I think Calcutt have fitted high level breathers in the past.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Sorry that you should feel that way Pete, there are lots of BMC engines, the taxi and Landy ones are different in the way the crank case breathers are plumbed. I could have assumed that it was a 1.5D or a 1.8D but you know what assume makes, an ass out of u and me.

I have to inject a little humour now and again into this otherwise cripplingly boring existence, sorry you did not see it that way.

16 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I've had a look in my crystal ball and can tell you that it is a BMC 1500. I guess Mark was hoping that there is a standard size for BMC engines in general, or his 1500 in particular.

Perhaps I should add that my crystal ball took me back to 2013 where Mark was answering a thread about some difficulty starting a BMC, and he said: "With our BMC 1500...... "

I suppose it is possible that it is a different BMC 7 years later, but my guess is that it is not :) 

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

He says top of the engine so I suspect he means rocker cover or even oil filler (Ford like) otherwise he would have said side of the engine. Still abut 1/2" hose though.

This means that unless someone has changed the side cover he needs to take  the one with the breather off and ensure the gauze/oil mist strap is clean.  I think Calcutt have fitted high level breathers in the past.

If its not on the side but the rocker box, its a rocker cover off a "B" series petrol engine I think, makes little difference other than the tappet chest getting gummed up which is bad for the camshaft. I have seen the side covers swapped over so the pipe is at the rear of the engine.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry that you should feel that way Pete, there are lots of BMC engines, the taxi and Landy ones are different in the way the crank case breathers are plumbed. I could have assumed that it was a 1.5D or a 1.8D but you know what assume makes, an ass out of u and me.

I have to inject a little humour now and again into this otherwise cripplingly boring existence, sorry you did not see it that way.

You attempt to make light of what you said, but you asked for "make" in your tetchy post, so I don't think what you were doing was injecting humour :( 

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Perhaps I should add that my crystal ball took me back to 2013 where Mark was answering a thread about some difficulty starting a BMC, and he said: "With our BMC 1500...... "

I suppose it is possible that it is a different BMC 7 years later, but my guess is that it is not :) 

Ah, you have the historic crystal ball, mine tries to look into the future.  My past is too murky to look into..................................

Thank you for that.

T'D

Just now, Richard10002 said:

You attempt to make light of what you said, but you asked for "make" in your tetchy post, so I don't think what you were doing was injecting humour :( 

I was hoping it would not be Land Rover or FX4 Taxi 'cos I am not too au fait with them, there are just too many variations. Humour in the quickly written word is not so easy.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

So are you suggesting that its perfectly acceptable for questioners to expect us to remember their details from 7 years ago? I don't think that is on just as I don't think not bothering to give the engine model is really not on when asking for help. On the basis of the opening question the engine could be a 1.5, 1.8, 2.2 or  2.5 with the 3.x series far less likely. There is always the possibility it could be a petrol engine although unlikely.

So do we guess (which in thesis case would probably got the correct answer) or ask for clarification.

• Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So are you suggesting that its perfectly acceptable for questioners to expect us to remember their details from 7 years ago? I don't think that is on just as I don't think not bothering to give the engine model is really not on when asking for help.

No to the first sentence..... Tracy's post was particularly arsey, rather than amusing, IMHO, ( YMMV), and it became clear that he/she hadn't realised it was in the BMC section, (or why would she/he have asked for make, as well as model and photo).

It would obviously be good to give as much info as possible, but it doesn't always happen. A request for more info needn't be arsey.

Hopefully Mark has now got the info needed or, if not, the message that he needs to provide a bit more info and, if possible, a photo :) 

• Happy 1
  • Unimpressed 1

18 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

No its the same one.

I remember why I stopped using this forum now, some of the so called helpful people are just ar**holes. I will never bother to ask a simple question again. 

I just thought that it being in the BMC section, then you would be pretty certain that it was about a BMC engine. I didnt realise that every engine was totally different , but now I do, I apologise for not knowing it was called the rockerbox cover breather.  

Anyway I must remember to post a photo of the engine next time, even though as stated I was a hour away from the boat and if I was going to go and take a photo, then I could just have measured it .Insert other media

Thanks to everyone that replied .and rest assured this is the last place I will ever ask another question in. Too many just wanting an argument here it seems.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Madmark62 said:

No its the same one.

I remember why I stopped using this forum now, some of the so called helpful people are just ar**holes.

I don't blame you but, when you do get help, from helpful people, it's often very good, and I'm not sure there is anywhere else that could provide the same level of help.

I usually remind myself of this in the current affairs section, but it seems appropriate here today :( 

111413214_AvoidDogShit.jpg.24dd3f601b72082a547a79b1f5d4a097.jpg

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Madmark62 said:

No its the same one.

I remember why I stopped using this forum now, some of the so called helpful people are just ar**holes. I will never bother to ask a simple question again. 

I just thought that it being in the BMC section, then you would be pretty certain that it was about a BMC engine. I didnt realise that every engine was totally different , but now I do, I apologise for not knowing it was called the rockerbox cover breather.  

Anyway I must remember to post a photo of the engine next time, even though as stated I was a hour away from the boat and if I was going to go and take a photo, then I could just have measured it .Insert other media

Thanks to everyone that replied .and rest assured this is the last place I will ever ask another question in. Too many just wanting an argument here it seems.

First of all in many cases engines from the same manufacturer or marniser are not "totally" different but have enough differences to make answering difficult or impossible unless such details are known. In your case I pointed out four different possibilities with another (another two actually) that were unlikely to be found in a canal boat.  As far as I can see you got one answer that whatever the intent many felt was out of order and this was pointed out - basically support for your position. In your case your words seemed to indicate that your engine was somewhat different to normal so it may well have been a larger BMC engine.

If you don't know what engine you have (you do but many do not) and tell us how can we be sure we are giving you the best advice? It is not that unusual to have people come on and ask about their "BMC" engine for it to turn out to be a Perkins or Rover diesel. In the light of this ask yourself was it unreasonable to try to narrow down the possibilities?

I try to be helpful but when I find replies like the one above I often think why do I waste my time on such ungrateful people who don't seem to be abler to see both sides. If we all adopted you attitude and have a strop when we feel things did not go the way they should there would be no forum and no free help from both knowledgeable amateurs and professionals all of who give their knowledge for free..

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, Madmark62 said:

I just thought that it being in the BMC section...

Like the majority of the regulars on here I view the forum using the View New Content option. So I am presented with a list of new and updated threads by title, and I just click on the ones that interest me. I have no idea which sub forum section they are listed in.

• Happy 1