Brass tube for tillers

Featured Posts

Brass tube for tillers seem to come in two foot length in chandleries, and while mine seems to be the standard 1 1/4 inch inside diameter, it's 3'6" long, or it was before it broke.  I can't find anyone who sells long tubes - any suggestions?  There are some brass tube sites but the way they measure the stuff baffles me as they don't give a thickness measurement in mm.

13 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Brass tube for tillers seem to come in two foot length in chandleries, and while mine seems to be the standard 1 1/4 inch inside diameter, it's 3'6" long, or it was before it broke.  I can't find anyone who sells long tubes - any suggestions?  There are some brass tube sites but the way they measure the stuff baffles me as they don't give a thickness measurement in mm.

Sounds like you need a 4' length with 6" chopped off??

?

• Haha 1

Either visit a non ferrous stockholders Trade Counter, if there is one handy  or if internet is essential, have a look at the Holme  Dodsworth website.

They list large brass tubes by Outside Diameter and wall thickness, in inches or in swg.  Google large diameter brass tube and their table pops up near the top of the list.

10 swg is 1/8 inch which is plenty thick enough so 1 1/2 inch OD 10 swg tube will have a  1 1/4 in ID.

I bought my non standard (to chandlers)) tiller via a stockholder . Much less expensive than chandlers, but brass ain't cheap.

N

Edited by BEngo

Weird. Midland SwinChandlers used to stock 3' or more lengths of brass, or chromed brass tube in a variety of sizes, but now only have 1.25" ID by 24" and 30". I have two on my boat. One as a tiller extension, the other to hold up the breakfast bar in the kitchen! Wonder why they've discontinued it?

Jen

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Either visit a non ferrous stockholders Trade Counter, if there is one handy  or if internet is essential, have a look at the Holme  Dodsworth website.

They list large brass tubes by Outside Diameter and wall thickness, in inches or in swg.  Google large diameter brass tube and their table pops up near the top of the list.

10 swg is 1/8 inch which is plenty thick enough so 1 1/2 inch OD 10 swg tube will have a  1 1/4 in ID.

I bought my non standard (to chandlers)) tiller via a stockholder . Much less expensive than chandlers, but brass ain't cheap.

N

Thanks - it was the swg numbers that baffled me.

29 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Thanks - it was the swg numbers that baffled me.

Swg means Standard Wire Gauge .  Beware: There are others like Birmingham Wire Gauge and American Wire Gauge.  You should be able to easily find a conversion to decimal inches on line.  Try the Engineers Toolbox site but there are many others. Google "swg to inches" for example.

N

I have a piece 18"long, any help? Or I also have a piece of steel tube that will fit into either end of the broken bits. Or I can turn a bit of pipe to fit if you can measure it accurately (Or send me the short piece and I can make a good tight fit) No charge - just postage .

3 hours ago, Bee said:

I have a piece 18"long, any help? Or I also have a piece of steel tube that will fit into either end of the broken bits. Or I can turn a bit of pipe to fit if you can measure it accurately (Or send me the short piece and I can make a good tight fit) No charge - just postage .

That's a kind offer but I don't think it'll work. Yes it will... pm sent

3 hours ago, Onionman said:

This'll last forever, a metre is 3ft 4" long, it's cheaper and it'll stand out as being different.

https://www.metals4u.co.uk/materials/stainless-steel/stainless-steel-tube/14752-p

I'll keep that in reserve, but as above, the wife wants brass, and one must preserve domestic harmony. Anyway, brass goes better with the trombone!

Edited by Arthur Marshall
Change of mind. I blame my age.
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How did you break the old one?

I was wondering the same. Mine is 40 years old and there is evidence on it that a previous owner has probably used it as a mooring hammer! Mind you the wall thickness is probably over 5mm.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

How did you break the old one?

Boat got caught up in some trees trying to avoid a numpty who refused to move out of the middle - seemed to be just the usual light branches that you curse and drift through but a hefty one caught the tiller, pulled the thing right over and before I could get into reverse it was jammed solid and snapped. The wall thickness is 2mm and it's probably as old as the boat, which must be at least fifty years and maybe more.  It has suffered a bit in the past - got bent a bit when it jammed against a lock wall.  Being so long it does go a little over the rails at the back of the cruiser stern, but it's much more comfortable to steer it with a long shaft than with the bit that's left.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Actually, having had another look at the bust bit and thought on,  that does seem like a really good idea. I'll cut the broken bit as straight as I can and send you that if that's OK and go for the  pipe to fit it.  I'l only lose a couple of inches and, as we all know, size isn't that important... I'll pm you.

9 hours ago, BEngo said:

Swg means Standard Wire Gauge .  Beware: There are others like Birmingham Wire Gauge and American Wire Gauge.  You should be able to easily find a conversion to decimal inches on line.  Try the Engineers Toolbox site but there are many others. Google "swg to inches" for example.

N

I'm really confused now!

1 hour ago, Yellowback said:

And just like the trombone fondling a brass tiller is medicinally better for you!

At first read I thought you'd typed 'folding'...

I once watched a trombonist band leader end the closing number of the set with a very flamboyant swish from right to left.  The slide hit the mic stand and neatly bent itself at 90 degrees. Once the curtain had come down he was in tears...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to round this off, I contacted a guy on Ebay who was advertising tiller handles, and he's made me a custom one that compensates for the shortened brass bit.  It's a lovely bit of oak, beautifully turned.  It was all different dimensions from his standard as nothing on my boat is normal, including the diameter of the brass tube which seems to be larger than most.  He's done a great job at a more than reasonable price, and goes by the name of narrowboater532012 on Ebay.  His name's Dave - I promised to mention him on here in case anyone else needs a bit of lathe work doing!

• Greenie 1