WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME BOAT OWNERS

luggsy

Featured Posts

What is wrong with people, just been to burscough services , whent in the elsan to empty a cassette some lazy get left 3 bags of rubbish in there , if you know burscough will know the rubbish bins are next door , went to wash my hands and someone has only emptied their cassette in the toilet blocking it why when the elsan is next door where they left there rubbish  fxxking wxxkers 

1 minute ago, luggsy said:

What is wrong with people, just been to burscough services , whent in the elsan to empty a cassette some lazy get left 3 bags of rubbish in there , if you know burscough will know the rubbish bins are next door , went to wash my hands and someone has only emptied their cassette in the toilet blocking it why when the elsan is next door where they left there rubbish  fxxking wxxkers 

Unfortunately its not just boaters.

Some people just behave selfishly because they dont care about anybody else, anybody in authority, or the consequences of their selfish actions.

C&RT rubbish disposal is subject to abuse by others. There are some facilities only accessible with a key, but others in areas of urban development are overflowing a day after being serviced. If you take Penkridge  and Autherley as examples, it can be difficult to find space, but at Gailey, halfway between, there is little problem.

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

C&RT rubbish disposal is subject to abuse by others. There are some facilities only accessible with a key, but others in areas of urban development are overflowing a day after being serviced. If you take Penkridge  and Autherley as examples, it can be difficult to find space, but at Gailey, halfway between, there is little problem.

Barnby Dun. Much the same. Edge of a housing estate. Gated but no locks, often over flowing, batteries, and various bits of detritus from modern living.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

9 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Keys are freely available if you look................so they mean nothing.

8 hours ago, RAP said:

It’s probably more likely to be stupidity rather than laziness.

Sorry don't agree IMHO this is part of a growing breed of entitled selfish scum in our so called society .............they are not stupid they know exactly what they are doing and its implications they just don't give a sh**

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

There are also an increasing multitude of mobile home CCers using CRT facilities nowadays, it's on their forums as good advice.

Theres been a bloke fitting one out at Buckby top now for 2 weeks!!

I wonder if it was MJG/The Doghouse who told them? 

• Happy 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Sorry don't agree IMHO this is part of a growing breed of entitled selfish scum in our so called society .............they are not stupid they know exactly what they are doing and its implications they just don't give a sh**

Yes absolutely on the temporary camp sites that I use in the re-enactment society I'm a member of, selfish caravan owners who can't be a***d to walk to the Elsan fill up the portaloos instead.

5 hours ago, Halsey said:

Keys are freely available if you look................so they mean nothing.

Well done totally agree, trouble is no one to police it, just look at the beaches etc, ?

Getting serious here - (My Management pours a very stiff Whisky (well it's whiskey fro Aldi, so I should add the 'e') -

Methinks it's all about 'society'. When I were brung up, organisations - schools / yoof clubs/ scouts, brownies / chrches - choirs etc, all taught about respec' - for whatever that flavour was.

Not rammed down your throat, but that's te way 'we do it'.

Being you young accepted it - 'cos all the others did - and why not; there was no coercion. You all went to Church parade, squirmed (especially if the Troop was attached to Presbyterian church (all hell and damnation)...

Then you grow up and begin on a new course - but some of the old rules that were dinned into you begin to have some relevance still hold force.

Now that society seems to have collapsed - and it's a criminal offence to chide any unruly yoof - thus they continue with whatever they were doing - especially as they are empowered.

Expand my diatribe somewhat and you get to folks running amock - because they don't stop to consider that some of their actions have a detrimental effect on others -

Oh, I have some rubbish - bung it into a hedge - it'll rot...

Oh, the dog bin is full - some idle council has not emptied it - I'll dump the bag (cos it's full and smelly) 

Ditto my boat waste and the dumpster (Americvan) is full - not my problem, leave the bag.

All these issues and many more back up, with the result that there can be little pleasure in leaving your marina, or even going out of you front door.

the short answer is to persuade the current and future generations (kids, yoofs) that some sort of order / consideration for others may be a reasonable concept and worth persuing??

End of sermon. 

(now you can see why I changed my logo)

Edited by OldGoat
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Getting serious here - (My Management pours a very stiff Whisky (well it's whiskey fro Aldi, so I should add the 'e') -

Methinks it's all about 'society'. When I were brung up, organisations - schools / yoof clubs/ scouts, brownies / chrches - choirs etc, all taught about respec' - for whatever that flavour was.

Not rammed down your throat, but that's te way 'we do it'.

Being you young accepted it - 'cos all the others did - and why not; there was no coercion. You all went to Church parade, squirmed (especially if the Troop was attached to Presbyterian church (all hell and damnation)...

Then you grow up and begin on a new course - but some of the old rules that were dinned into you begin to have some relevance still hold force.

Now that society seems to have collapsed - and it's a criminal offence to chide any unruly yoof - thus they continue with whatever they were doing - especially as they are empowered.

Expand my diatribe somewhat and you get to folks running amock - because they don't stop to consider that some of their actions have a detrimental effect on others -

Oh, I have some rubbish - bung it into a hedge - it'll rot...

Oh, the dog bin is full - some idle council has not emptied it - I'll dump the bag (cos it's full and smelly) 

Ditto my boat waste and the dumpster (Americvan) is full - not my problem, leave the bag.

All these issues and many more back up, with the result that there can be little pleasure in leaving your marina, or even going out of you front door.

the short answer is to persuade the current and future generations (kids, yoofs) that some sort of order / consideration for others may be a reasonable concept and worth persuing??

End of sermon. 

(now you can see why I changed my logo)

But an alternative view:

Back when your observations were, or rather might have been true, the so-called respect was largely born out of subservience, even if it was dressed up with a measure of benevolent paternalism. This was amusing but very perceptively captured in the famous sketch with John Cleese etc. You were born to a class and you knew your place. Anything that tended to give an opportunity to escape would have been labelled as revolutionary.

Some would like to think that we have made it all the way to a more egalitarian society but, scratch the surface, and 'knowing your place' is still a dominant controlling factor - round the world, not just UK. Some of the eastern societies may well have a more ordered society but it comes at a price of much greater repression.

A very modern example is seen in the row over exam grading. Ostensibly, the objective of 'education'  since the 1960's (see Robins Report) has been to enable everyone to have an opportunity for social mobility. But the main constraint on the 'algorithm' was just the opposite: make sure that grade inflation dopes not happen ie if one school improves then another must be labelled failing. And then we find that the net effect has been to protect the results of schools of a certain type and to disadvantage others.

And some wonder why there is mistrust of authority when all through this pandemic we have seen examples of one rule for the powerful and one rule for the rest.

Now, I am not really a raving red, as those with power usually label those seeking opportunity (see US Presidential Election memes for examples from a so-called egalitarian society) and I present an alternative view simply to demonstrate that there is more than one way of reading your evidence.

Looking at my next generation but one I am delighted, sometimes amazed, to see endless examples of responsibility and social awareness often missing from public discourse of late. I have great faith in upcoming generations . . . Let's hope those in between don't mess it up before they get a chance to have their hands on the tiller. (Of course, every generation discovers that age and experience readily destroy progressive enthusiasm!)

• Greenie 3

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

all taught about respec' - for whatever that flavour was.

But "respec" worked both ways - as kids we were $#!t scared of the local bobby (who could see through walls and knew the school timetable better than we did). But when Mum reported the theft of a spade from the greenhouse the same local bobby was around the same night with a torch. He (and it was a he) may not have actually done much but he was there.

9 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

But "respec" worked both ways - as kids we were $#!t scared of the local bobby (who could see through walls and knew the school timetable better than we did). But when Mum reported the theft of a spade from the greenhouse the same local bobby was around the same night with a torch. He (and it was a he) may not have actually done much but he was there.

But those bobbies were paid peanuts and lived in tied accommodation, along with many other 'they were always there' workers (here, the most noted were lengthsmen). Today, with better working conditions, the same level of staffing is not affordable, nor are there as many people willing to do the jobs at low pay unless their benchmark is even lower economics of eastern Europe.

Are you really suggesting a major hike in taxes to pay for a much larger police force or that they should stop investigating crimes that either did not then exist or took up little time? (eg credit card fraud) Sadly, it seems that it is more acceptable, possibly even less expensive, to reduce the taxation that pays for prevention in favour of personal costs such as insurance that pay out on incidence? Whilst such strategies may have their p;lus sides they do tend to ignore the less tangible costs such as the trauma incurred when a burglary takes place for even a small haul?

12 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Are you really suggesting a major hike in taxes to pay for a much larger police force.

Yes, this would be most beneficial. I was pleased to note that the portion of our Council Tax allocated to the police had gone up by a bit more than inflation this year, and I'd be happy to see it go up still further.

Just down our road is a detached building which is a former police house (and presumably station). I wish it still was one. In fourteen years of living in Upwell, I have only once seen a policeman walking along our road. 

My dad was a Bobby. I remember his tunic, his truncheon pocket, he showed me how to loop the leather strap, so it couldn't easily been taken from him. He had a cape. A helmet, a whistle. I remember once, he drove an MG two seater. Brought it home to show us all. He also got p**sed on duty in Chorley and got caught. He got transferred to Huyton as a punishment. It wasn't a too bad a place to grow up. Yes, we lived in Police Houses, it was okay. We certainly moved about a bit.

For whatever reason, the Police don’t have the same respect from joe public as bygone days. Nor do the Police of today have respect for jo public as in bygone days. Jo public isn't the same beast As in bygone days. My dad wasn't a tough guy by any stretch of the imagination, but he knew how to handle himself. Ex army, wartime in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. Palestine followed after wartime end. I guess that toughened you up a little.

Picture of Dad and I, after my passing out parade in Plymouth, 1969. He sadly passed away in 1978 at the young age of 55. Very much missed. 
Did i go off topic? Ooops!

3256F279-2727-4060-9444-8D92EB915AA4.jpeg

• Greenie 4

On 20/08/2020 at 20:58, luggsy said:

They do this for the same reason that some people who use communal bins outside flats and apartments, put loads of empty cans and bottles into the general rubbish bins instead of the recycling bins just next to them. It's pure laziness and a lack of any sense of community. This country unfortunately has fairly low levels of social cohesion compared to France, Germany or Scandinavia for example. Lots of selfish c@nts.

Lots of Brits came out to clap for the NHS during lockdown and it seemed like everyone was finding a new sense of community, but later when the weather got hot some of the same people went down to overcrowded beaches on the South coast flouting social distancing, so in reality they didn't give a crap about the NHS. 

I'm afraid this selfishness runs across all sections of society including boaters.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3